New Motorhome Zero Rated VAT Relief Rules For Disabled. (1 Viewer)

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
something bolted to the vehicle. for instance a set of hand controls or a mounting plate for clamping a wheelchair. the simplest adaption is a steering wheel ball
Steering wheel balls are not a major modification!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Steering wheel balls are not a major modification!
As already commented years ago in this thread, I have it in writing from HMRC. If bolted on and together with ramps, it IS classed as a suitable major modification. I have bought several new vehicles zero rated for VAT using these permanent adaptions with no issues. Unfortunately some dealers have no understanding of the VAT zero rating rules. It's best to buy elsewhere than try and educate people with a biased and bigoted view of disability
You can only hear "you're not disabled enough to qualify for Free VAT" so many times. Even with the correct details from HMRC in your hand some dealers refuse to help. Too much like work for some dealers who just want to sell at full retail regardless of what the law says.

Spud312R

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Bishops Stortford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
SInce 1985
As already commented years ago in this thread, I have it in writing from HMRC. If bolted on and together with ramps, it IS classed as a suitable major modification. I have bought several new vehicles zero rated for VAT using these permanent adaptions with no issues. Unfortunately some dealers have no understanding of the VAT zero rating rules. It's best to buy elsewhere than try and educate people with a biased and bigoted view of disability
You can only hear "you're not disabled enough to qualify for Free VAT" so many times. Even with the correct details from HMRC in your hand some dealers refuse to help. Too much like work for some dealers who just want to sell at full retail regardless of what the law says.

"Too much like work for some dealers who just want to sell at full retail regardless of what the law says."

This i dont understand as they dont lose money claiming back the vat relief ?!?! its 1 form that we give them a copy of an dthey send it to hmrc..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
"Too much like work for some dealers who just want to sell at full retail regardless of what the law says."

This i dont understand as they dont lose money claiming back the vat relief ?!?! its 1 form that we give them a copy of an dthey send it to hmrc..
Sadly they make loads of excuses and the favourite "if we get it wrong, then HMRC will come after us for the VAT". That is why you use the correct exemption forms and retain the original copy of the signed disclaimer from the customer. The customer pays no VAT and the dealership shows this in their VAT account.
I wish it was a case of going into any chosen dealership to but a zero rated vehicle, reality is too many just say NO! It is discrimination and bigotry by those dealers

Spud312R

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Bishops Stortford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
SInce 1985
Sadly they make loads of excuses and the favourite "if we get it wrong, then HMRC will come after us for the VAT". That is why you use the correct exemption forms and retain the original copy of the signed disclaimer from the customer. The customer pays no VAT and the dealership shows this in their VAT account.
I wish it was a case of going into any chosen dealership to but a zero rated vehicle, reality is too many just say NO! It is discrimination and bigotry by those dealers

Utter madness this country, so they dont really want to sell to you for 20 mins work.. crazy

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years

As you said, years ago.......
I spent 2 hours on the phone to HMRC a few week ago asking for a customer. A major modification is for instance widening the door into the bathroom so a disabled user can get into it.

Yes a steering wheel nob years ago would have been fine until everyone abused it.

I hope your implying that I am a bigot?

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
A wider hab door, fitted support bars in bathroom areas etc and wheelchair restraints was what I had done/added 3 years ago.

GeoffC

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Prescot
Funster No
MH
A Class Bavaria i740
Exp
since 2012
We already owned a motorhome, whilst my wife's illness got worse and she eventually became a wheelchair user. Since she got ill we had avoided flying and due to issues with the chair, bathroom accessibility and certain anxieties we were reluctant to holiday without extensive and what should be unecessary reconnaissance. We explored the possibility of buying a new adapted van and during our research we found out about the vat exemption. Most dealers seemed unwilling to deal with that scheme for whatever reason of their own. One possible reason that came to mind is that they may be drawing attention to themselves from HMRC and the last thing they wanted was an inspection....possibly because of what that might uncover. Eventually I found a dealer who was familiar with the scheme and able to complete necessary adaptions. We had to complete a declaration for HMRC. I have since completed a similar form in order to receive exemption when paying for a wet room installation at home. I may be wrong but this process makes me think that it is the purchaser that applies for the exemption and the form provides the supplier with justification that they can show HMRC why they never charged VAT and why they are not passing it on. Unless the dealer considers you to be an out and out fraudster then I don't think that they should be in a position to refuse.
For us the exemption has been a godsend. It would have been difficult for us to afford the van and adaptions without the exemption. It allowed us to spend the savings on other required adaptions around the home.
The van has given us freedom to holiday and travel without worry, in our home from home with everything we need to hand.
Recently for the first time in years we travelled by plane for a 4 night trip to Spain. I found negotiating airports, planes and whatever a bit stressful to be honest. But perhaps that's just me. After a lot of research and paying over the odds we had found a hotel with an accessible wet room etc. Paid well over the odds for that. It all seemed good until the shower seat collapsed when my wife was using it, causing minor injury and a hospital visit. Whilst the trip was still enjoyable it made me appreciate the value of the van and the security it provides.
With regards to the 3 year rule - that will not effect me except in the case of an accident (touch wood). I'm sure there are those that change van yearly but I only felt I was getting used to my van after 12 months. We are fortunate in that our other vehicle is a Mobility scheme car, a scheme which many wheelchair users will have access to. Therefore we do not need to purchase a second vehicle with vat exemption.

Spud312R

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Bishops Stortford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
SInce 1985
Cheers, HMRC came back to state that we could only have 1 vat relief vehicle every 3 years , so were paying the vat on the day to day van , but wil be able to use it on the adaptations.

We are looking at importing a winnebago adapted vehicle and will use the vat relief for that.

Sep 30, 2019
Worksop, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Are you all aware that you can also have vat free maintenance/servicing on a motorhome which has been purchased under motorbility scheme you have to apply for a exemption certificate from I think HMRC and present it to your garage and the vat element can be removed I know this as I service 2 motorhomes which are exempt

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
somewhat annoying that the limit of one vehicle every three years has been introduced. a motorhome is rarely a primary source of transport. therefore you will be left able to change motorhome and car each at 6 years old. if the disability increases necessitating replacing the car with a drive from wheelchair vehicle or a wheelchair transporter within the limit, then the disabled person will be left without suitable transport for years
Depends why there's vat relief on vehicles for the disabled. If it's because they need them to travel then why should it extend to a motorhome as a second vehicle and why shouldn't vat on the resale amount not be repaid if there's very little depreciation?

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I'm really going to stick my neck on the block here. Why should a motorhome be VAT free? I fully understand and support the necessity for a car as a means of transport. However, a motorhome is a lifestyle choice and by no means a necessity so why should it be subsidised?
Whats the criteria I hope it’s not the blue badge

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Whats the criteria I hope it’s not the blue badge
No the qualifying criteria is somewhat stricter than the blue badge scheme, wheelchair user or need transporting by stretcher (or modern equivalent) unable to walk unassisted basically. This now has to be backed by a doctors letter in some cases and is checked against your National Insurance number

ronecc1

Free Member
Jun 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
in between
I can remember when a Motability vehicle used to be a small single seat three wheeler in pale green. Try getting a loo, shower and kitchen in one of those.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back