New Motorhome Security - Advice Please (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Falcon 269

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
... it really is quite simple if you know how

And there's the crux of it. :Smile:

I take your point about the source of components but we've all seen poor quality controlled stuff from China, no? Design and assembly standards aren't uniform from that neck of the woods, either.

A couple of hours labour by a qualified auto electrician would add around £100 to the cost, I imagine - maybe more - bringing it much closer to the price being talked about for Vanbitz version.

Thanks for the link but I'll pass on this one. :Smile:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
for some people security is a really big issue, but they cant pay the sort of prices others take for granted. just wanted to point out that there are nearly identical systems available at all price levels. marketing budgets and implied value play a very big part though dont they

I agree that the internet allows people to have a variety of products, at a variety of price levels which as you say has to be a good thing.

Don't forget though that some links posted to buy goods on line are imported without import duty or VAT being applied. The buyer has to be careful as if the seller is getting around those basic and obvious controls, other compromises may have been made as well.

I do agree though that if your comfortable and competent purchasing products online and installing them your self can make a secure and viable security system. However, if your motorhome is your hobby, and you have an electrical background, then the time taken is a labour of love.

If on the other hand your technical skills do not run in that direction you employ some one to do the job for you and in those circumstances your perhaps looking at a different criteria.

If installing some thing your self is out of the question, then you'll expect a system to be easy to use. Sending SMS texts that are a eye wateringly complicated, is'nt what you would expect from a system you paid to have installed, neither would a system that was unreliable.

We are all general public to some one else and we all have skills and talents.

My wife was laughing yesterday in Halfords, because having been told that the bike that we have bought for my Mother In Laws birthday this coming Sunday, they wouldn't be able to "build" in time. My MIL (bless her) has such faith in me that she sniffed and said " That' OK we'll take it and my Son in law will assemble it for me.

Thats when my wife started laughing! Anything electrical that doesn't work, I'll fix (or try to) jobs that local dealers are stuck on, gets booked into Van Bitz, give me a bike that needs a minor adjustment? I can turn it into a bag of cables and cogs in a matter of minutes!

Dave, our workshop manager has given up trying to show me about gears and brakes and how easy it all is, and is bewildered by it all. But then he is useless with wood work, but his brother makes bespoke cricket bats for County and International cricketers :roflmto:

I guess a good analogy would be self build motorhomes. I have seem some stunning conversions that took ages to build and could never be cost effective to build commercially, and I have seen some conversions that, would be built quick enough, that would never sell in a million years as they are appalling :Eeek:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
The thumping method only works if the safe is mounted with gravity assisting the solenoid movement. Ours is mounted 'on end' with the door at the top, probably the most common way of mounting it if bolted to the floor. Thumping it with padlocks potatoes etc does not then work, I've tried. Likewise poking a rod through from the back won't work either as these holes are used for the fixing bolts. [HI]The use of a seven pin barrel lock pick hardly counts as using no tools, and that would work on anything using that type of key lock.[/HI]
That said, one with a key lock is probably sensible, as the electronic ones still have a key (needed if the battery goes flat.)

Do you really need a professional tool for a barrel lock, as used on a modern electronic "safe". :Doh:

Try a Bic ballpoint pen! :thumb:

Have a look at this! :Eeek: Seen it done on a "safe" as well. :whatthe:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bosEh5PUNs"]U-Lock Bic Pen Trick - YouTube[/ame]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back