Free Member
Jun 3, 2009
Stoke-on-Trent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
three
:cry:Hi my name is Mike and I am new to this site at the moment I have a SEA Sharkey L2 that I have not been able to use since new in October 2007 due to a weight problem it is a long story so I will not bore you too much just that when I fill up with fuel and a little water I am over weight:Sad:. so that means that I will not be able to join you on your travels I am fighting this with my solicitor and hope for a result soon.
I noticed that one or two of you are buying a new van soon and I would like to pass on a few words of warning. 1/ make sure if you are having finance that you ask for the APR on the loan a flat rate is not the same as the APR 2/ make sure that it is NOT a front loaded loan you will soon find out the difference when you want to change the van in two or three years time 3.check the Vin plate to make sure that it says the same as that on the brochure. 4/ if it is on the Fiat X250 chassis you will not be able to uprate it. 5/ having a loan on your new van is not a bad thing even if you can afford to pay cash it gives you the added protection when things go wrong I am glad I did.

Hope you enjoy your new motorhomes I wish that I could---- Mike.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi micky4422 and :welcome: to MHFun.
Hope your problems are quickly resolved and that you can start to enjoy your motorhome and the lifestyle it brings.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
:Angry:
:cry:Hi my name is Mike and I am new to this site at the moment I have a SEA Sharkey L2 that I have not been able to use since new in October 2007 due to a weight problem it is a long story so I will not bore you too much just that when I fill up with fuel and a little water I am over weight:Sad:. so that means that I will not be able to join you on your travels I am fighting this with my solicitor and hope for a result soon.
I noticed that one or two of you are buying a new van soon and I would like to pass on a few words of warning. 1/ make sure if you are having finance that you ask for the APR on the loan a flat rate is not the same as the APR 2/ make sure that it is NOT a front loaded loan you will soon find out the difference when you want to change the van in two or three years time 3.check the Vin plate to make sure that it says the same as that on the brochure. 4/ if it is on the Fiat X250 chassis you will not be able to uprate it. 5/ having a loan on your new van is not a bad thing even if you can afford to pay cash it gives you the added protection when things go wrong I am glad I did.

Hope you enjoy your new motorhomes I wish that I could---- Mike.
Hi Mike this is a nightmare situation for you:Angry:, we bought our van new as well, but the weight wasn't even quoted, fortunately the wife done all the homework and made sure it was 3.5tonne fully loaded,as we are restricted because we passed our test after 1997. I hope everything goes ok and you get refunded, and this doesn't put you off:thumb:all the best and good luck:Smile:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
It was one of my main items when I choose my last van, having had a van that was overloaded with hardly anything in it even after upgrading it to 4000 kg. I find that dealers are useless when it comnes to giving out knowledgeable information on weights. This weekend at the Stratford show I was just window shopping (not intending to change my van for a couple of years) & when I brought up the payload issue on a 'A' class I liked I was told it's got loads on the 4 ton chassis. When I read the specs for myself later the max chassis was 3850 kgs, & on this the payload was 660 kgs (the dealer said the 660 was on the 3500 but this was not the case) If you read the small print about payload it is usually based on a driver of 75 kg (just under 12 stone :Blush: I wish) a full fuel & water tank & a gas cylinder. Then there is a +/- 5% for manufacturing tolerance, my definition of this is on the gross weight less the payload. In my case 3850 - 865 = 2985 giving a tolerance of +/- 149.25 kgs (I doubt if any van would be under the manufactureers weight) giving my payload now between 715.75 to 1014.25 Remember all of this is before you carry any passengers, add awnings, sat dish, bike rack, food, clothing etc.

I personally thing that the standard spec should include in the figures something related to the number of passengers or berths, even if they only allow 75 kg for 2 people then something for children.

I have yet to find a dealer who has given me realistic advice on payload, mostly they fob me off with - it's got loads - you don't need anymore than a 300 kgs - or one of the ones who shrugged & said about 90% of the vans are technically overweight.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
two easy solutions to this dilema.

1) buy a van suitable for your needs.

2) tow a small car or trailer (licence permitting)

we tow a small car which gives us over 300kg of 'extra' payload.
ideal for the genny, BBQ etc, the heavy stuff.

kerb weight of car = 860kg
gross weight of car = 1180kg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back