New Motorhome Muttly (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
Personally I dont insure my dogs apart from third party which I get fro. Dogs Trust at a very reasonable £12 per year
I ( again personally) think that the ridiculous prices vets now charge is down to everyone having insurance
A friend paid £600 for a dental on a whippet!
If you take into consideration how much you will pay out monthly for insurance and the amount you spend actually on vets fees there is a big difference in favour of the insurance companies. Granted if there is an accident you will have to pay out but much far less than the amount paid in. I just put aside a set amount each month just in case and in almost 60 years of dog owning I've always been on pocket.
My dogs have in the main been pedigree some bought some from rescue but maybe I've been lucky
I'm sure others will disagree but it's just what I do.

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We didn’t bother with our other three rescue dogs but the last one started to get quite a regular visits to the vets towards the end. Being pensioners now we wouldn’t like to deny muttly treatment because we can’t afford it.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I've had 3 dogs all cross breeds and never insured any of them and none of the cost much money in the years i had them so it does make me wonder if insurance is worth it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Muttly had his first visit to our vets this morning for worming tablets and to have a couple of long claws trimmed .
Getting him into the vets was no problem but when the vet took him to have his claws trimmed he took off like a rocket. The vet was a little tiny oriental girl. I managed to grab his lead and stop him making a bid for freedom. I didn’t know he could move that fast.
We gave him his worming tablets in a bit of corned beef. Out of three tablets he managed to spit one a half out. Another bit of corned beef and he couldn’t resist it so the others went down.
After his post tea walk he has been snoring interspersed with grunting and snuffling. He still hasn’t barked other than in his sleep.
He is becoming a real character and getting cheeky with it. We can’t wait to get him away on another trip in the motorhome.

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I thought management was going to loose the plot with her sister today. Firstly let explain she is in Australia and recently had a stroke after a hip operation. Under normal circumstances we would go and see her but it’s not practical at the moment.
During a phone conversation today she mentioned our last dog. Trying to explain what had happened and we now have Paddy a Romanian rescue dog she said you can find the time to go to Romania to get a dog but you can’t be bothered to come and see me when I am sick.
It was a waste of time trying to explain. She hasn’t worked out what has been going on in the world for the last twelve months.
I am not sure we’re this will go. We should really go and see her but it’s not so easy at the the moment. The costs are going to be eye watering, flights and accommodation. Also I can’t see it being much fun with her sisters state of mind.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
My ex is a nurse practioner for the stroke team so I have a small insight into the behaviour changes of stroke victims and can only imagine the trauma you and your wife are going through especially with such a distance separating you all but I'm sure you will work a way through things and get out to see her as soon as you can just be strong

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Paddy really proved himself today. Considering it’s been a warm day he managed a full days walk with me and our son.
Not meany silly hills but some long slogs along gravel tracks that must have been hard on his feet. At one point as we were crossing a field he stopped and sat down. After a couple of minutes he got up and ambled along. He never walks away from us and seems happy to saunter along behind us.
If he is an ex yard dog he might have never been on long walks before. We left at half ten this morning and got home just before eight this evening. By my reckoning we did about ten miles. I don’t think he will need a walk after his tea.

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
This mornings walk was a slow saunter round the block. He has spent most of the day in his bed or mooching round the garden.
We didn’t bother with an evening walk because it was raining and I had to get the motorhome ready for our trip tomorrow. He has seen me packing his food and followed me to the door. Our other dogs would in the motorhome as soon as I open the door but Paddy is happy to wait until he told its time to go.

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Now on site at the Aysgarth Falls Hotel. The road up Wharfdale from Grassington was busy with motorbikes and cyclists. Not helped with it being rather narrow in places and twisty. No one was travel sick so that was a bonus.
Paddy is not amused by these strange squeeze stiles. They might be ok for humans with thin legs but us wider dogs can’t get through the narrow bit at the bottom. We had to walk up the site and round by the road.
A few other dogs on site but they have kept there distance. Us rescue dogs need our space. Maybe if management is up to it we will walk down to the falls today and see what Paddy makes of that.

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We had a nice trip down Ullswater yesterday. The walk to the boat was a bit scary . The pavement is very narrow and a couple huge tractors flew past making the pavement shake. The boat wasn’t a problem apart from us being seated down stairs at the back. It was a crufts special but no one got upset and Paddy dozed off after a while.
As we headed south the mountains were covered in mist and the walk back from Aidria falls to Glenriding was a bit hit and mis with light drizzle occasionall.
By the time we got the boat back the cloud was very low and it was raining. We were sat on the top deck under the canopy but with no cover to the sides. We were a bit damp until half way back when it stopped raining. Paddy crawled under the bench and dozed off again. When we got to Pooley Bridge he didn’t want to get off. As he stood up you could smell wet dog.
Today we had a stroll up the lane from the site but it was a bit steep and rough causing managements poorly ankle to play up so we came back to have a chill out before we move to Pately Bridge tomorrow for four nights.
Paddy seems really settled with this life style.I don’t think we could have taken on a young nutty dog. We have seen several people struggling with unruly young muttlies . It was pure luck that Paddy is like he is but the the other three rescue dogs we had were like this. They seem so glad to be with people and enjoy a better life stYale.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Paddy seems really settled with this life style.I don’t think we could have taken on a young nutty dog.
Oh I don't know ... wanna trade? :giggle:

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We moved to Pately Bridge today. A nice journey over the A66 and then down the A1 with no hold ups. Pateley Bridge is nice with lots of dog friendly tea shops. Unfortunately trying to distance from people and prise Paddy off the wall when a loud car or truck passes made things a bit slow because the pavement is narrow. In the end me and Paddy sat on a planter back from road in a wider bit and let management mooch about.
We have found a nice pancake shop that sells a breakfast pancake that looks nice. Maybe if we behave we can have one for breakfast before we leave.
Tomorrow weather provided we are going to walk up the river. It should be a bit easier on managements tendon. It follows the old railway they built when building the dams in the Nidd valley.
Paddy is having his pre tea snooze in the sun and snoring as usual.

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Nice walk today along the river Nidd. We got as far as the first dam, Gouthwait I think. Not as far as we would have liked but management still hasn’t sorted her poorly tendon.
We are getting the hang of gates and stiles now. Unfortunately leaping off the top step of a style made Paddy Yelp and walk a bit odd for a while. After a rest in the park for an ice cream on the way back he seemed ok.
He got back in the motorhome with no trouble. Drained his water bowl and fell asleep.
It’s supposed to be hot tomorrow so maybe a local walk would be nice.

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We managed a lovely local walk down the river yesterday and he managed a paddle in the river. He seemed to get the idea after standing looking at the water for a while.
Today was not his best day. We were going to a cafe for breakfast but he would not go in the door. We were warned about issues with threshold. I found a bench In a nice quite garden so we had takeout breakfast instead. With less people about today we had a mooch around the shops some being in courtyards down passages. There was no way he was going down them.
Thinking he would be better out of town we followed a local history walk. All went well untill we came to a very wonky style. The only way to get him over was to lift him. He is a hefty lump and did his upmost to get his legs tangled up on the way down.
We gave up and retreated back to the site. Me with sore back and hip. Paddy fast asleep.
We are calling at Fountains Abbey on the way home tomorrow so he might be happier mooching round there.

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Paddy came with a collar harness and lead. Due to him eating well and building up his muscle tone his harness was getting a bit tight.
We thought it would be worth buying him a new harness. Trying to measure his chest size was fun. According to the K9 size chart he needed a size 2. The one he has is size 0. No wonder it seems tight.
Our local Pets at Home had no size 2 in stock so we ordered one from Amazon. When it arrived yesterday he got really confused trying to adjust it before walk time. I should have got a collar to match.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back