New Motorhome - Must Haves and Must Nots (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thanks to all who replied.

In no particular order

It is the A class I 7820-2
Full winter insulation

Alde heat exchanger

Increased battery capacity and extra leisure battery

120w solar - waiting to see how that copes and what room is available on roof before looking to increase.

No air suspension, again want to run it first and see how it copes but as others have done could be retro fitted. It was an expensive option!

Left hand drive

As it has the rear lounge the garage isn't full height although the demo model had bike tracks fitted but I think showed with front wheel removed?

The front drop down is the main bed and will definitely be used as we don't want to be making up a bed in the huge rear lounge. Plus it means that other person can stay up while partner has an early one

Due to its size I think there will be ample storage for 2 - although seeing OH pack for a weekend it may be an education exercise!

SOG - not spec' but on my list

Refillable gas - likewise

Kitchen vent/extractor, air con to cab, automatic gearbox all included.

Size - was the biggest question mark in my mind, BUT, as far as I can see, the only consideration that everyone on the forum agrees with is, LAYOUT, LAYOUT, LAYOUT, is the single most importsnt factor in getting satisfaction. I'm pretty confident we have chosen correctly in this respect.

I have driven many types of vehicles over the years and size hasn't bothered me so far, hired a large motorhome last year to try out @ 7.5 metres around parts of NC500 and found no issues. I've read @Northernraider exploits and as he says there are very few places you can't take a larger MH.

Hopefully that will not come back and bite me on the backside once we start and travel. I take the attitude that the more remote places still get delivery vans, refuse wagons and the like, in Spain you see coaches up and down the mountain roads without any serious issues so fingers crossed

:cry::cry:

I hope you dont regret having a smaller garage when you want a scooter, but then again I prefer to come into the lounge at the front, then the kitchen, then the bedroom.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks to all who replied.

In no particular order

It is the A class I 7820-2
Full winter insulation

Alde heat exchanger

Increased battery capacity and extra leisure battery

120w solar - waiting to see how that copes and what room is available on roof before looking to increase.

No air suspension, again want to run it first and see how it copes but as others have done could be retro fitted. It was an expensive option!

Left hand drive

As it has the rear lounge the garage isn't full height although the demo model had bike tracks fitted but I think showed with front wheel removed?

The front drop down is the main bed and will definitely be used as we don't want to be making up a bed in the huge rear lounge. Plus it means that other person can stay up while partner has an early one

Due to its size I think there will be ample storage for 2 - although seeing OH pack for a weekend it may be an education exercise!

SOG - not spec' but on my list

Refillable gas - likewise

Kitchen vent/extractor, air con to cab, automatic gearbox all included.

Size - was the biggest question mark in my mind, BUT, as far as I can see, the only consideration that everyone on the forum agrees with is, LAYOUT, LAYOUT, LAYOUT, is the single most importsnt factor in getting satisfaction. I'm pretty confident we have chosen correctly in this respect.

I have driven many types of vehicles over the years and size hasn't bothered me so far, hired a large motorhome last year to try out @ 7.5 metres around parts of NC500 and found no issues. I've read @Northernraider exploits and as he says there are very few places you can't take a larger MH.

Hopefully that will not come back and bite me on the backside once we start and travel. I take the attitude that the more remote places still get delivery vans, refuse wagons and the like, in Spain you see coaches up and down the mountain roads without any serious issues so fingers crossed

:cry::cry:
As it happens we were at the show in Stuttgart and I took a photo,

8AF38E65-52C7-4859-8059-8F2DAC4D78DC.jpeg

Of a Grand Alpa rear lounge.

Martin

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
With that endless list if extras does it have any payload!
As a small point re the Full Air, if a bag goes you can’t move it! That’s how it is on trucks anyway.

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
With that endless list if extras does it have any payload!
As a small point re the Full Air, if a bag goes you can’t move it! That’s how it is on trucks anyway.

Lol - with the chassis upgrade I certainly hope so. Will let you know once it's had a weighbridge visit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
As it happens we were at the show in Stuttgart and I took a photo,

View attachment 278244

Of a Grand Alpa rear lounge.

Martin

And it looks so much better in light coloured upholstery!

Incidentally anyone else got a glass cabinet like the photo, what do you store in it as I assume glasses would just slide around.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Incidentally anyone else got a glass cabinet like the photo, what do you store in it as I assume glasses would just slide around.

We line cupboard shelves where we keep glasses and mugs with non-slip matting(sort of rubbery stuff) - can be bought in rolls and just cut to fit.

We also cut some out as coasters for the table for when we park but not level - saves faffing with blocks, which we have dumped.

Geoff

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I think most if not all look better in light colour, glass cupboards often have specific shelving for glasses that holds them safe.

I made this for a little shelf in ours,

C09E4AE9-8F34-4C86-BCEE-B9B7F5058036.jpeg

It’s just two bits of rubber backed thin carpet, you can’t see the scabby whit tape at the back because it’s high up(y)

Martin

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

I don't know about this particular vehicle but on ours the wine and beer glasses are slid into slots in acrylic shelves which are also slightly dished. The glasses sit on the shelves in recessed bits and the stems hang below the shelf. No breakages so far!! :)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Winterisation of the water systems?

It’s a Dethleffs. Unlike many/most Brit manufacturers, the vehicle is fully winterised as standard. They’re designed not to need add on electrically powered heaters and such like.

Ian

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Don't let them fob you off with crap AGM's
@Lenny HB
Lenny, can you qualify the battery issue above. ANY AGM or specific manufacturers?

I would like lithium but it's a cost too far at this stage as I suspect the dealer will have my eyes out to swap them.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
@Lenny HB
Lenny, can you qualify the battery issue above. ANY AGM or specific manufacturers?

I would like lithium but it's a cost too far at this stage as I suspect the dealer will have my eyes out to swap them.

I suspect that he means ANY AGM, they were all the rage for a while but there have been (many?) reports of poor performance from them. The consensus, if you wish to have lead acid, generally is to go either for ‘wet’ lead acid, or for Gels.

Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
@Lenny HB

I would steer clear of any AGM's, Banners are the worst but Varta's have been failing as well. I replaced mywith Gels, I think your charger will only have settings for AGM & Gel.

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I would steer clear of any AGM's, Banners are the worst but Varta's have been failing as well. I replaced mywith Gels, I think your charger will only have settings for AGM & Gel.
Thanks @Lenny HB & @bigtwin
I wasn't aware of any issues but will check with supplier.

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Dealer quotes as normally fitting Varta although some others have been supplied. I had a quick look on forums regarding AGM issues but most faults seem to relate to incorrect charging setup. Where are you seeing the reports of failures?

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Thanks @Lenny HB & @bigtwin
I wasn't aware of any issues but will check with supplier.
Found this online - Varta and Bosch from the same factory/spec and branded. Bosch in my experience generally offer a good quality product.

BOTH Varta- Bosch batteries are made in the same factory. Coincidently, by the same employees of Johnson Controls

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Dealer quotes as normally fitting Varta although some others have been supplied. I had a quick look on forums regarding AGM issues but most faults seem to relate to incorrect charging setup. Where are you seeing the reports of failures?
On the German forums, even after the EBL were changed to have proper AGM charging also a few Funsters have had them fail between one & two years.
You would probably not notice the decrease in capacity if always on EHU but off grid they are a waste of time.

In my last van they lasted 18 months and were down to 10 a/h, I replaced them with Gels. When I changed vans the two Gels were only just over a year old so I got the dealer to swap them over then added a third, no way was I having AGM's again.

Gels are normally cheaper than AGM's so I can't see a dealer objecting to swapping them, especially if he might loose a sale.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
A slide out and room for four peoples legs under a table "claimed" to be for four people!

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
With all the add-ons, I would advise to consider the vehicle weight limits - most especially Gross Train Weight, if you ever intend to tow.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
A slide out and room for four peoples legs under a table "claimed" to be for four people!

Eddie

Well suppose it depends on your 'lounge' size. They seem to be getting smaller because of the separate shower and toilet.

Our Arto has a 'L'-shaped sofa, the long side of which is 2m, so with two sitting on the short side, 3 on the long side and one in the swivel passenger seat and both table extensions in place we have sat 6.

No slide out needed.

Geoff

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Eddie

Well suppose it depends on your 'lounge' size.
I was talking about the dinette (y)

A "good" lounge is a minimum of two opposing three seater sofas, topped off with the two Captains seats swivelled around

Hence my insistence on a slide out

Even Morello and RS have started, so in 10 years everyone will have them

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I was talking about the dinette (y)

A "good" lounge is a minimum of two opposing three seater sofas, topped off with the two Captains seats swivelled around

Hence my insistence on a slide out

Even Morello and RS have started, so in 10 years everyone will have them

I think if I asked the dealer to get his electric saw out he.may object :whistle:

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Lol - he has my deposit and won't be getting any more till I see it in the flesh (so to speak)

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Moved from caravan in 2017
You may be sure about your choice of Alde heating in which case read no further BUT we had that on our last Elddis Moho. The area under the side seats got beautifully warm but not the habitation area. The radiators were tucked away behind the seats. Best check that. Our present Truma blown air is much warmer (when I can get the controls to work). Seakerr (presently in Estartit)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back