Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
You may have seen my thread about my lovely brand new motorhome.
Well I went out today to move it to give it a clean and a good polish ready for our first trip out this weekend. When I looked where it had been parked since we brought it home there was a puddle of oil left on the drive.
So I looked under the engine to find oil dripping. After a whopping 135 miles on the clock I was by no means a happy bunny.
So I flicked through the manual to find the nearest Fiat warranty dealer. Most of which were truck centres which I didn't relish the thought of a 20 stone grease monkey who had just been crawling round under a dustcart sitting in my brand new Captains seat in his oily overalls.
So after a bit of looking through the different dealers I came across Marquis in Northamptonshire. So gave them a ring and there warranty department wasn't in today, which I couldn't really understand.
Next I thought I'd call Fiat assist and see if they could get me sorted any quicker. To my amazement they sent out the RAC out to tell me I had an oil leak. Thanks guys.
He did narrow it down to a rear diff seal and said he would send in a report. But it's still my job to get it booked in still which I really don't think is right. Fiat should be arranging this I think. So I'm going to see if Marquis get back to me in the morning like they said they would but I will believe it when I get the call. Just thought I'd create a thread as I'm still in a bit of shock really about all this. I wouldn't expect it from a new van.
Update to follow. :cry::cry::mad:

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Well he kept saying that and I think that means where the front drive shaft goes in the diff/gear box. Wherever it is it's not a good start.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Call Fiat themselves directly, not Fiat Assist. I'll post the contact details when I find them.

This is the 24 hour number I found - supposed to be freephone.
00 800 3428 0000

EDIT:

Fiat Auto (UK) Ltd
Head Office
Tel: (01753) 511431
240 Bath Rd, Slough, SL1 4HJ

Or use Facebook.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Call Fiat themselves directly, not Fiat Assist. I'll post the contact details when I find them.

This is the 24 hour number I found - supposed to be freephone.
00 800 3428 0000

EDIT:

Fiat Auto (UK) Ltd
Head Office
Tel: (01753) 511431
240 Bath Rd, Slough, SL1 4HJ

Or use Facebook.
Thanks Puddleduck I'll be on to them tomorrow first thing.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If its a brand new van back to the dealer no effin round with fiat assist etc , your contract is with the dealer , reject it maybe.

What @wigster said if it is brand new (sorry didn't realise earlier that it was so new).

It IS the dealer's responsibility - the dealer should then claim from Fiat.

Oh, and tell them it isn't roadworthy and they will have to come and collect it.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We collected our new to us mh from dealers on way home clutch failed called dealer they collected it immediately .replaced clutch and fetched back to our home
Contact dealer van no fit for purpose.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
These things happen sadly, new oil seal and it will be OK, I don't think it is worth going down the rejection route as there will be no long term damage and you would only be depriving yourself of the enjoyment of your new van.

I was talking to a German guy on the Concorde factory Stelplatz in Germany, he had just picked up a new Centurion liner about ÂŁ350k at a guess, took it out for a spin then back to the factory and deposited oil all over their Stelplatz, he was very relaxed out it and said "oh you expect these problems on a new vehicle"

Martin

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
My last job 2 years ago was fitting all of the under body,brake lines etc and engine diff rear axle into Rolls Royce Phantoms , the cheapest car was 250 grand . Before that on the same line i was fitting 90 kilo electrical harness in the same cars . 70 percent of the workers weren't english or german . My point is its the fiat bit not the mh . Back to dealers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A bit worrying, the way modern engines are made don't normally get this sort of problem.
The fact that it has come from Fiat to the converter then to the dealer and no one has noticed it seems a bit odd to me. I'm wondering if so damage has been done on route causing the problem.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
marquis warranty department/customer services?? the directors were joking when they opened that department. worst customer service I ever or was that NEVER received from any company

go with your nearest fiat commercial garage

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
IMG_5501.JPG

This was the oil on the drive this morning. Taking it back to the dealer means another 100+ mile drive there and the same back, take a day off and fuel. I thought it would make more sense taking it somewhere near. Surely if it's under warranty from Fiat you can go anywhere. I just don't know who to
Speak to to help. :Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
marquis warranty department/customer services?? the directors were joking when they opened that department. worst customer service I ever or was that NEVER received from any company

go with your nearest fiat commercial garage
Oh no. Just thought a motorhome company might be more motorhome friendly than say a truck workshop.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
There is a company called Bryan Currie in Milton Keynes but I'm just worried about handing the keys to a lorry fitter.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On the Fiat Camping Car website they list the commercial dealers who are authorised to work on campers. Do ring the dealer and check they are used to working on Motorhomes, we had one near us that had only just taken up the Fiat franchise and my van was the first Motorhome they had seen I had to tell them how to do things, but others in our area are excellent.

Agree about not driving it, difficult to check the oil level but needs to be done before driving.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Might as well take it back to Slough, if you are in Bedfordshire. My experiences with them have been fantastic, and that's all the dealer is likely to do

But I wouldn't think you should be driving it without advice. Bad luck though

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
fiat commercial garages generally work on vans and from experience are clean and reliable. last motorhome was in for warranty work, and they had the guy from the valeting bay drive it in and out the workshop

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
If it is brand new take it back to the dealers . I would be throwing it right back at them in a breath , thats alot of money spent etc

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Ask for your money back and start again , some of the cash you payed werent fake and didnt have an oil leak so it goes both ways i say

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
fiat commercial garages generally work on vans and from experience are clean and reliable. last motorhome was in for warranty work, and they had the guy from the valeting bay drive it in and out the workshop
That does ease my mind a bit better. I think that it's because we haven't even had a night in her yet which is really p*ssing me off. We've not even peeled the plastic tabs from the smoke alarm yet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Ask for your money back and start again , some of the cash you payed werent fake and didnt have an oil leak so it goes both ways i say
Don't say that. I really can't be bothered to go through all that messing about again. I think if that's the case I'll go back to the caravan.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Feeling your pain:cry:. I would be really angry and disappointed too as you invest so much time, energy and emotion into a MH purchase, not to mention the dosh.
I was reluctant to go to Fiat Commercials for the ignition switch recall but I was happy with the premises and the service even if I did have to share the forecourt with some monster trucks!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back