IanandJulesey

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi all, we are collecting our new motorhome on Friday and very excited we are too.

We are getting it from a dealer and will have a full briefing on everything we need to know about and we are staying with them over night to try everything out before we leave. Any advice on things we may not think to ask about or they may not think to tell us about.

It is an Auto-trail Comanche so advice from any fellow owners could be especially useful.

Look forward to the usual words of wisdom as well as humour,

Ian and Julesey

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi Ian and Julesey
Oh how exciting, I bet you can't wait.
I hope you enjoy your new MoHo.. In the meantime .............
Welcome to the madhouse :welc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just make sure you have the manuals for everything although for some fittings you can download the manuals as a pdf from the manufacturer's website.

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Welcome to the site enjoy your new MH, I think you will not remember everything told to you but you will soon get the hang of it. Pete :welc::welc:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanandJulesey

IanandJulesey

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks we are very excited.

Good idea had not thought about videoing, think I will do that.

Ons and offs ins and outs, I also thought filling and emptying.

Not sure we expected we might spend the first night then wake up to frost on the windows.

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Hope you don't get gassed - or dump your grey on the road - or use the wrong chemical in your loo - or put your chairs out on an aire - or worry about a paper plate putting you overweight - or or or .....,

Enjoy it:D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanandJulesey

IanandJulesey

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The dealer is about 50 miles away not so bad.

We are looking forward to getting away over Christmas. Visiting relatives in Manchester before Christmas, family Christmas then off again until the return to work in the new year.

Open to suggestions for a short tour Boxing Day until 4th Jan.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanandJulesey

IanandJulesey

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We are doing Cambridge, Manchester, Cambridge before Christmas. Would not rule out the Peak District, have only ever been there in the summer bet it's lovely in the winter.

Three more restless nights of excitement maybe.

We were not worried about the weight of the paper plates, should we leave half of them back at home just to be safe?

Upvote 0

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
That's handy your staying overnight at least you can give it some gip
make sure it's all working ok, looks a nice bit of kit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanandJulesey

IanandJulesey

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Yes we are going to try out everything.

We have been looking for some time, we are planning a 12 month tour of Europe so wanted a bit of room and payload.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
New Comanche, very jealous as my fave MH :)

Check out:
The entertainment centre as lots report they have a problem with it.
Check fridge works on gas, EHU and then 12v when engine running.
Check cooker operates, but not heard of any issues, but check just in case. Also that the microwave works too.
Get them to run through the hookup to EHU, the mains control panel and fuses too.
Look for the water heater isolation switch and make sure it's switched off after you drain down the tank at any time. If not then the heating element will work as soon as you hook up to EHU and you may risk blowing the element if you've not bleed the system first and filled the water heater (from first hand experience :blush:)
Hot water works on EHU and then gas and then together.
That all taps deliver water, both hot and cold.
That all doors fit and close properly, especially the dividers between bedroom, bathroom and lounge area.
Hot air blown heating works on both EHU and gas.
There's no leaks from the grey waste tank tap.
Check everything operates in the cab, lights, central locking etc.
Operate the awning and legs and make sure you're happy and that it stows ok.
Run through the gas locker and isolator valves for all systems.

Probably lots more, but I'm sure other Funsters will add to the list as required. I know it's new and should be perfect, but unfortunately that's not always the case. If your not sure, spend more time in it overnight and somewhere local to the dealer as then you can get help straight away. Some Funsters drive hundreds of miles to pick up their new MH's and you don't want to get home and find you've a problem and need to drive many miles back again :)

Good luck, have loads of fun and keep us all posted on how it's going :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanandJulesey

IanandJulesey

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks PP Bear I have been making a list for a while and you have defiantly added to it, many things there I had not thought about.

It's not new new, 3 years old just new to us. To help with the snagging we are staying in it on Friday night then leaving it there as we have a prior arrangement up in Leeds. Returning and staying in it again on Sunday night before bringing it home on Monday. That should give us time to try everything out.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Ensure the wife knows how to operate the cooker and how to stock the fridge with beer, also she needs to be able to place her hand on a bottle opener within 20 seconds. You need to know how to operate a deck chair and master the art of saying " Beer please" :cheers:

Upvote 0

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
Ensure the wife knows how to operate the cooker and how to stock the fridge with beer, also she needs to be able to place her hand on a bottle opener within 20 seconds. You need to know how to operate a deck chair and master the art of saying " Beer please" :cheers:
And ducking out of the way of the swing of something heavy!!!

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
If you are in Manchester for Xmas why not visit the southern Lake District for new year. The 2 big clubs do have sites open this time of year snd may still have space for New Year's Eve. I know from past experience that the Camping and Caravanning Club at Windermere usually have a 'bit of a do' on n.y. eve as there is a country pub on site.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanandJulesey

IanandJulesey

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks for the cooker and fridge advice. The cooker is often not needed if we can find bottle opener / corkscrew in the afternoon.

Cheese and crackers is a particular favourite of mine, not too much cheese as it takes up beer room in the fridge.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
The location of both of the batteries. Three years old, it may soon need a new leisure battery.
The vehicle battery is well hidden on some models, handy to know where it is.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Good luck to you both on your new acquisition you have some great times ahead.(y)

Julesey, make sure you take particular note of how to remove and empty the Thetford cassette .....

... this is a specific task for the ladies in a motorhome and should not under any circumstances be left for Ian.;):whistle:

Upvote 0

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
And having recently stayed there, I can vouch for the site, it is absolutely lovely and the food (and beer) in the pub is great.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Julesey, make sure you take particular note of how to remove and empty the Thetford cassette .....

... this is a specific task for the ladies in a motorhome and should not under any circumstances be left for Ian.;):whistle:

No no no no, the cassette is generally a BLUE job although one that everyone should know how to do. ;)

Seriously the cassette empty task isn't unpleasant if you use something to disguise the smell (biological washing detergent).

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
No no no no, the cassette is generally a BLUE job although one that everyone should know how to do. ;)

Seriously the cassette empty task isn't unpleasant if you use something to disguise the smell (biological washing detergent).
No no no no no no no, chemicals not necessary if like me your poo don't pong or you have a SOG!(y):D

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Ask them to demonstrate what light switch operates which set of lights.

I still haven't worked it out on our Scout.

Enjoy your van(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanandJulesey

IanandJulesey

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
To SOG or not to SOG, think it's a bit early for us to be thinking about that one.

As we have absolutely no equipment or accessories we have already got a long shopping list. Think I know what I will be getting and giving for Christmas. We will be able to unwrap it and put it straight in the cupboard or storage.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back