New Motor Home for the disabled (1 Viewer)

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
motorhomes for the disabled

do blue badge holders get a discount on new motorhomes?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
do blue badge holders get a discount on new motorhomes?
Not specifically because someone is a blue badge holder, but if you are able to sign the requisite form that allows you to be supplied with goods designed for disabled people at zero rate Vat, then you can have your motorhome zero rated provided it has been 'significantly & permanently' adapted to suit the requirements of a person who uses either a stretcher or a wheelchair.

New & second hand vehicles are eligible, but while Vat is applied to the full price of a new vehicle (so the saving is significant), Vat is only levied on the dealer's margin when buying secondhand, so the saving will be in hundreds, not thousands (unless it's a very expensive s/h vehicle).

'Significant & permanent' is not defined, but is usually interpreted to mean that the modification is welded or bolted in place. So a wheelchair hoist would count, but portable ramps are a grey area. Some dealers will zero rate if the ramps have a safety slot (into which the ramps clip) bolted to the floor. Others won't consider ramps at all.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Not specifically because someone is a blue badge holder, but if you are able to sign the requisite form that allows you to be supplied with goods designed for disabled people at zero rate Vat, then you can have your motorhome zero rated provided it has been 'significantly & permanently' adapted to suit the requirements of a person who uses either a stretcher or a wheelchair.

New & second hand vehicles are eligible, but while Vat is applied to the full price of a new vehicle (so the saving is significant), Vat is only levied on the dealer's margin when buying secondhand, so the saving will be in hundreds, not thousands (unless it's a very expensive s/h vehicle).

'Significant & permanent' is not defined, but is usually interpreted to mean that the modification is welded or bolted in place. So a wheelchair hoist would count, but portable ramps are a grey area. Some dealers will zero rate if the ramps have a safety slot (into which the ramps clip) bolted to the floor. Others won't consider ramps at all.

I believe that Mobility allowance can be used towards the purchase instead of a car.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I believe that Mobility allowance can be used towards the purchase instead of a car.
You can use your Mobility Allowance pretty much any way you like & there's certainly no reason why you shouldn't use it to part fund a motorhome.

I suspect you may be thinking of transferring the Mobility Allowance into the Motability scheme, which uses the Mobility Allowance to fund a discounted 3 year contract hire leasing deal through Motability Operations Ltd.

My understanding is that you have to chose from a predetermined list of vehicles, even though the vehicle you choose may then be extensively modified to suit your needs. There don't appear to be any motorhomes on the list, although both the Mercedes Vito & the ubiquitous VW Transporter both appear, each of which form the starting point of many a campervan.

It would require a manufacturer/converter to approach Motability to join the scheme. But I doubt that a 3 year contract hire agreement would be the best way to fund a motorhome.

But there is nothing to stop you using the Allowance to buy a motorhome yourself.

Steveonley

Free Member
May 14, 2014
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 636L
Exp
We have recently got a Swift Sundance 636L from "Coachbuilt" here in West Midlands. It has been gutted and rebuilt around my needs as I have a spinal injury and am confined to a wheelchair at all times.
We have used it 5 times and found the independence it gives us is priceless (my wife drives it as we opted for the manual gearbox to prevent getting stuck in mud). We bought it to get me to Folk Festivals as well as usual camping sites around the UK.
Please feel free to e mail me at steveonley@icloud.com if I can help.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Having been inside Steves motorhome all i can say is wow:thumb: what a conversion they have done for you , you and carol will have so much fun and freedom with it ::bigsmile: enjoy

Steveonley

Free Member
May 14, 2014
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 636L
Exp
Look at Coachbuilt in Warwickshire where I got my adapted Swift Sundance 636L from.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Great Idea and should be encouraged. I'm a wheelchair user & we have just purchased 2013 Rimor Katamarano 12p+ Auto and I must say driving it is a joy.
Who will providing the cab & chassis? I would suggest Fiat as I think they are the only large manufacturer who design a chassis specifically for motorhomes

Also 'price' that will be a strong deciding factor best to cost your 'basic' model then go from there as the more adept you become costs will reduce

And have you considered contacting the powers that be at Motability as they often get asked if they have a MH on their scheme. As I understand it they used to but for some reason it stopped

EvnJock

Free Member
Mar 26, 2015
PO21 3JZ
Funster No
MH
Van COnversion
Exp
since 2014
I am the only driver as my husband is disabled. We would like as small as possible. A wide entrance door with a good grab handle and possibly an opening door at the back for when he will require a wheelchair. Kindest regards.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I am the only driver as my husband is disabled. We would like as small as possible. A wide entrance door with a good grab handle and possibly an opening door at the back for when he will require a wheelchair. Kindest regards.
Unfortunately this post originated nearly 5 years ago and the OP didn't stay around. There have been sporadic extra comments since but that's all.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Have a look at this one - WildAx Callisto

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back