Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
I wonder where were going with diesel engines.I took my 2009 2.3 Ducatto for its MOT yesterday and it failed on emissions.Its very well maintained,just had oil and filters changed,l said to the mechanic can you adjust it or something and he said that's not possible,I said its a write off then,what do l .His answer was bring it back next Tuesday after giving it a good thrashing on the motormotorway,I just wonder if a low mileage well maintained vehicle fails what will happen next.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Diesel particulate filter may be clogged up a bit ( if it has one ) depends if it does short runs or long runs

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
It's called an 'Italian tune up'

If you do low miles and don't run it at motorway speeds for a least 15 minutes regularly then, as mentioned above, the DPF gets clogged

I think many motor homers treat their vehicles gently when the base van they're built around/on are made to be thrashed everywhere!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Curious
What part of the emissions test did it fail on ?

OP
OP
Ebby

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
Geo it failed on emissions,the mechanic said while it was ticking over the emissions count was coming down,but you only get six counts then it's a fail.The garage didn't know if it had a DPF but told me to give it a good run and have a retest next Tuesday. I'll let you all know how I get on.If it hasn't got a DPF as Lenny HB said,I don't know what the problem is.

Deleted User
Some diesel fuel additive and give it some welly, worked for me every year with an old (R reg) Peugeot 306 when it was relatively new, no cat or DPF then.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Chances are the Garage failed you by not getting engine hot enough for the test a common fault
we would suggest a FORTE fuel treatment only available from garages and ebay if you dont mind being ripped off
we were often asked to sell our empty bottles make sure yours if you buy one is sealed
there are others out there but we cant vouch for performance of those
maybe others on here can suggest some

OP
OP
Ebby

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
Your probably right Geo.l did get to the garage fifteen minutes early so it was about half an hour before they started the test.I will try the fuel additive route and a thrashing.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't know what the problem is.
I do, it's all the fresh air freaks complaining they can't breath sweet smelling pollution free air who are forcing tighter and tighter emission controls on us.
A good job they didn't have to live towards the end of the 1800s.

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
I wonder where were going with diesel engines.I took my 2009 2.3 Ducatto for its MOT yesterday and it failed on emissions.Its very well maintained,just had oil and filters changed,l said to the mechanic can you adjust it or something and he said that's not possible,I said its a write off then,what do l .His answer was bring it back next Tuesday after giving it a good thrashing on the motormotorway,I just wonder if a low mileage well maintained vehicle fails what will happen next.

We give our VW camper a good thrashing in second and third up and down a few hills for half an hour and they put it straight on the ramp to do the emissions immediately

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
New Regs, if there is no emission value on VIN plate, use default limit for yours after 1/7/2008 is 1.5m.
As said a good run and test when up to temp, on your emission fail sheet should be engine temp

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Some vans seem to burn more oil than others i've had 2 ducato 2.8s the lower mileage one used engine oil the higher mileage one 40k doesn't burn any engine oil

But always had good runs and both had good emission test results
Are you burning a bit of oil

OP
OP
Ebby

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
mwf ,my van does not use a drop of oil between changes,I'm taking Geo advice I've been and bought a bottle of Forte additive,then as you've all said,give it a good thrashing and insist they test it while the engine is hot,in fact I will not turn it off until they start the Re test.What gets to me, when we came back from France,Dover to my house should be three hours,it took seven hours with hundreds of vehicles at a standstill on the M25 spewing out gases,but this thick government picks on individuals,a lot easier than sorting out Britain's overcrowding. That's my rant done.

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
All this makes me glad I've got a petrol engine in my old auto sleeper Peugeot but its MOT time in sept so I might not be so happy then. Is it just diesels being put through the mill or have I got something else to worry about?

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Not an emissions issue but there is other madness in the new regs. I went with my neighbour yesterday to pick up a Porsche '911' from its MoT. The chap said there was one 'observation' and it would have been a fail last week and stated as dangerous - the ferrules on the rear brake flexible hose(s) were corroded, in his words 'absolutely shot', so presumably not simply suffering from surface corrosion. How can something go from a dangerous failure to an 'observation'? The brakes are surely the single most important piece of equipment on any vehicle?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
New Regs, if there is no emission value on VIN plate, use default limit for yours after 1/7/2008 is 1.5m.
As said a good run and test when up to temp, on your emission fail sheet should be engine temp
Our 1997 Ducato is also 1.50. It passed the smoke test easily last two mot tests. First test was 0.34 before we bought the van. Last year I ran a bottle of injector cleaner through on our 400 mile trip from Brittany to the UK and the emissions were 0.22.
This year ( mot is due next week) I have run 2 bottles of injector cleaner through over the last 800 miles and it is noticeably less smokey when starting from cold.
Hopefully, it will pass again......

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
. it took seven hours with hundreds of vehicles at a standstill on the M25 spewing out gases,but this thick government picks on individuals,a lot easier than sorting out Britain's overcrowding. That's my rant done.
I guess they will all fail their MOT on emissions then. Surely that means the government are doing something about reducing pollution, it’s just that you fell foul if the new regulations.

I can’t beleive I just commended this rabble of a government on doing something right......

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Our 1997 Ducato is also 1.50. It passed the smoke test easily last two mot tests. First test was 0.34 before we bought the van. Last year I ran a bottle of injector cleaner through on our 400 mile trip from Brittany to the UK and the emissions were 0.22.
This year ( mot is due next week) I have run 2 bottles of injector cleaner through over the last 800 miles and it is noticeably less smokey when starting from cold.
Hopefully, it will pass again......

Should clean out the crap from combustion chamber as well - long runs are what vehicles need keeps engine hot burning the crap off less wear and tear.

My van is 2001 2.8 ducato smoke test came in at 1.0 not used injector cleaner though - just dont use it for short runs - should put some cleaner in to clean the system out i suppose.

OP
OP
Ebby

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
I said I would report back after the MOT retest.I put a bottle of Forte in the tank,took the van up the M1 and back at a fair old sprint,took it back to the MOT center and it flew through.The readings were .Test limit 1.50. Absorption 0.28. Absorption after correction 0.28. Whatever that lot means.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I said I would report back after the MOT retest.I put a bottle of Forte in the tank,took the van up the M1 and back at a fair old sprint,took it back to the MOT center and it flew through.The readings were .Test limit 1.50. Absorption 0.28. Absorption after correction 0.28. Whatever that lot means.
It means you done good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back