New MH finally arrived. Just. (1 Viewer)

The Bogtrotter

Free Member
Oct 12, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Finally the wait is over and picked up our first motorhome on Monday, Autoroller 746.
However the drive home did not go smoothly.
After leaving Trowell services on the M1 we hit standing traffic, an AA van pulled alongside and the diver said we had a soft tyre on the rear and suggested we pulled into the next services to check it.
He followed us in to see if we were ok and he found a screw in the tyre which was hissing loudly and well on the way to being totally flat. As we are in the AA he took over and sorted it out in no time. I had no idea where the spare or tools were and we found the spare right in the middle underneath, very difficult to get to. The milage on the speedo was 103 miles. Hope our next journey goes a bit smoother.
I cannot praise the AA man whose name is Andy enough, if it was not for his diligence I would have been in a tricky situation with a flat in an unfamiliar vehicle on a very busy motorway.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You would be an easy sell for a radio tyre pressure system right now. There is a recent thread with details.

I hope you bought a lottery ticket, it was your lucky day.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Well, what a stroke of luck that you came across an AA man that was not only diligent but also observant (y)
Glad all ended well and I wish you many happy journeys in your new MoHo.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Good luck. I'm sure that with such a start things will only get better.

Just think, you already have a story to tell and you haven't really started yet!;)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Glad everything got sorted for you, Bogtrotter. What bad luck with your tyre. Still, at least you had one - I think our van just comes with a tube of goo!
Shame MH vans don't come with tyre pressure warning systems and run flat tyres. A HUD would be nice too.... :whistle:

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Good on Andy the AA bloke for being a star. As an organization they can have their moments!

One time I limped a poorly car off a motorway and right into an AA depot, I thought "bonus!" They will sort me in no time. No, after asking, I had to ring the number and wait the usual hour for a driver to come from elsewhere!

My best is them sending a third party company to pick me up with a tow truck even though I had stated the car needed a low loader, he had a strop at me on the side of the M11, he said a loader would come, it never did. The police arrived and said they were going to tow me off motorway at my expense. Eventually AA low loader turns up, but crew cab, driver states he can't take me all way in case a car with more people breaks down, he takes me back up M11 to Peterborough services (I broke down just after leaving). Wait for single cab low loader. It took them 8 hours to get me from Peterborough to Harlow. They ended up giving me £40 cheque and half year free cover.

OP
OP
The Bogtrotter

The Bogtrotter

Free Member
Oct 12, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
I took the flat in to the tyre place and it was repairable, cost £15 the screw he removed was a shiny new self tapping screw the type used for fixing panels together. Possibly in the factory where it was made? He also said the tyre was a leisure type especially for motorhomes with their extra weight and very pricy.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Good news about the tyre repair. Screw possibly fell off another vehicle in the services.

Kath

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good luck and bad luck all rolled into one, hope you have lots of pleasure from your new motorhome.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I was waiting in the showroom about 6. Months ago to pick up my brand new car, I overheard a very irate customer who had picked his up the evening before and got a flat on the way home, he came back to the despatch yard where he'd picked his car up from and found loads of old screws nuts and bolts in the gravel in the yard!! He was arguing a pretty strong case with the receptionist.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
good luck with the new van. may you keep it as long as we have kept ours. 25 years.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Glad everything got sorted for you, Bogtrotter. What bad luck with your tyre. Still, at least you had one - I think our van just comes with a tube of goo!
Shame MH vans don't come with tyre pressure warning systems and run flat tyres. A HUD would be nice too.... :whistle:
both tyre pressure monitors and head up displays are available to fit though
you can get a basic HUD from ebay that simply plugs into the OBD socket, that projects speed etc onto the windscreen. prices start at £20
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...hud+obd.TRS0&_nkw=hud+obd&ghostText=&_sacat=0

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Good on you emailing the AA, like most services, people are only too quick to complain. A bit of praise and appreciation goes a long way. Hope you have many happy trouble free miles ahead of you (y)(y)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
both tyre pressure monitors and head up displays are available to fit though
you can get a basic HUD from ebay that simply plugs into the OBD socket, that projects speed etc onto the windscreen. prices start at £20
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...hud+obd.TRS0&_nkw=hud+obd&ghostText=&_sacat=0
BIT cheaper than a BMW option then! I guess it's a bit like producing a Me-too drug. We've had a HUD for over 10 years and they're great for giving you the info you need, without being distracting, thereby keeping your attention on the road.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Eventually AA low loader turns up, but crew cab, driver states he can't take me all way in case a car with more people breaks down, he takes me back up M11 to Peterborough services (I broke down just after leaving). Wait for single cab low loader. It took them 8 hours to get me from Peterborough to Harlow. They ended up giving me £40 cheque and half year free cover.

here if there are too many people for the recovery truck cab the overspill sit in the M/H........ on the back !:LOL::LOL:

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Just wanted to wish you well @The Bogtrotter
Let that be the last of your troubles!

Never had to call the recovery services for my van (hope I'm not tempting providence here!) Have used them for the car. I turned-out the RAC for a flat battery at home a few months ago. The bloke was brilliant! He could have flogged me a new battery, but didn't push it. Even though the battery was a bugger to get at, he took the leads off, cleaned it all, refreshed the Vaseline on the terminals, gave advice on a charger and got me going. Car still starts first time on the same batt'!
Interesting bloke; he was telling me how during last summer, he was drafted from Essex to Cornwall because the local RAC couldn't cope with the amount of holiday breakdowns and locked cars! They put him up in a hotel for a week until the work hiatus died down. He had to buy a map from a newsagents because many locations weren't on his sat-nav! Such was his care, I bunged him a few bob for a greasy breakfast.

Happy travels in the new motor....
James
PS. I bought a Tyre Pal unit recently. Good bit of kit and even better when there's no decent AA man to warn me!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back