New MH buyers are unable to set out on your first adventure (1 Viewer)

DenandJan

Free Member
Mar 2, 2020
N. Leics
Funster No
MH
Hymer StarLine 640
Exp
Newbies
We bought our first MH in Feb and went on one weekend away before CV lockdown kicked in, so she's sitting in the carpark and we're self-isolating on our narrowboat. I've had a mild form of the virus (dry cough) and Denis is in 'vulnerable' group so we're also isolating from each other as far as possible... difficult but so far so good. Very much looking forward to both MH and boating trips, but finding ways to occupy ourselves.
Has anyone advice about keeping the MH in good fettle while it's standing around? I read about moving it slightly to avoid tyre problems.

Upvote 0

Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Part exchanged my caravan for new to me MoHo and it hasnt moved from the driveway since and it seems to have lost its allure and just cant motivate myself to finish basic packing or sitting in it as I did he caravan. Certainly taken the gloss of the big new adventure, ah well..:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Picked it up from dealership 4/3/20 over to Sheffield to get front insulated cover made overnighted at Three Merry Lads at Redmire. back home sat on drive, an expensive night out so far, SORN'ed it cancelled chunnel and campsite However will be weekend camping snuggled up in van watching Peter Kay DVD's

Upvote 0

Gary Redfern

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg 700DG
Exp
Rented a MH a couple of times and now semi-full-timing (since September 2020)
I've just asked that the production of our's be delayed. We live in the Caribbean and were planning to start a multi-year trip (starting in France) come July. But our airport is closed and I don't see it opening for months. At least it's a multi-year trip so a few months delay won't be a problem in the greater scheme of things

Upvote 0

HMS

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner travelvan
Exp
For 5.5 years
Picked up our new Dethleffs on 10th March and only try-out was driving back to the compound! Fortunately, decided on 11th to ‘amend’our maiden voyage from Plymouth to Santander booked for 13th. Mighty glad we did!

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
Last wekend before lockdown wa at girvan harbour, next to us was a 20 reg motorhome. It sat there till evening then left. Didn't even manage a night away, What a shame.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
Part exchanged my caravan for new to me MoHo and it hasnt moved from the driveway since and it seems to have lost its allure and just cant motivate myself to finish basic packing or sitting in it as I did he caravan. Certainly taken the gloss of the big new adventure, ah well..:(
Cheer up, all this will pass and the roads will be heaving with motorhomers off on their jollies. ??

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We had spent last year waiting for our PVC to be converted and I am so pleased that we actually used it on a trip to Shetland even though it wasn’t finished. My wife wanted to wait until it was finished before we used it. we used it for 6 trips in total before lockdown.
now just trying to plan our trips when we are allowed to move. I am hoping SHMO will agree to Shetland 3/4 weeks then West Coast of Scotland, maybe Outer Hebrides on one long trip lasting a couple of months. We are going to use this first year of retirement to its fullest.

Upvote 0

Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
We had spent last year waiting for our PVC to be converted and I am so pleased that we actually used it on a trip to Shetland even though it wasn’t finished. My wife wanted to wait until it was finished before we used it. we used it for 6 trips in total before lockdown.
now just trying to plan our trips when we are allowed to move. I am hoping SHMO will agree to Shetland 3/4 weeks then West Coast of Scotland, maybe Outer Hebrides on one long trip lasting a couple of months. We are going to use this first year of retirement to its fullest.
We did the outer Hebrides on a couch tour some years ago and saw a lot of motorhomes as we travelled, and amazing trip to do especially the island hopping by ferry, loved it.

Upvote 0

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
We picked ours up new in November managed a few trips and now it’s locked down at my storage site which luckily for me is about a 20 minute walk through fields on public footpaths from our village and can be part of my daily dog walk.
Unluckily for me the van is parked next to a lovely 50 meter conifer hedge but full of nesting pigeons. They in turn have decided to sit on MY awning rail (no one else’s !!!!!! 700 vans and MHs parked there) with backsides facing out and have decorated the side of the van from top to bottom.
I’m not panicking too much as it’s just on the habitation shell not the paintwork of the cab, or should I be worried re it damaging the paint on the hab shell??

There is a water tap and hook up on site so I could put a washing brush/shampoo in a back pack and walk over and drive the van round to the tap( it’s all on a private COSA site so I won’t go on the public highway)

I have also heard turning the engine over and leaving it running for 15-20 mins on newer Euro 4 plus engines causes more problems than good it causes condensation in the engine. If any one could confirm or deny this I would be great full.

Upvote 0

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I always start my motorhome for a few min but only in winter but be careful of mice n birds nesting this has caused me more problems than bird crap ,

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back