New MH buyers are unable to set out on your first adventure (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Your frustration is not limited to new buyers. Many of us have booked shows and ferries with dreams now shattered. To see our van ageing without enjoying it is heartbreaking. Like many others, we love our travelling, which today have become only memories.:mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
How many like us are new MH buyers are unable to set out on your first adventure :( hope we will all meet up out and about in the neat future (y) Stay safe in the meantime.
Bought my new to me MH a month ago, drove up from Cannock, now sitting on the driveway. All for the best, just builds up the anticipation for the future. (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Have a good friend who lives over the road from us, they bought a very nearly new Adria 12 months ago and having gone out in it about 6 times last year decided they already loved motor homing enough to upgrade it to a bigger and better model needless to say having signed on the dotted line social distancing kicked in and it is sat waiting for them at the dealers, that said had it started a week later it would have been sat in the storage yard in place of the one they are trading in, at least as I have mine on the drive I can sneak out and sit in it with my eyes closed, a glass of rum in my hand and make good use of my over sized imagination.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Neardonny
Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
I'm a newbie
Unfortunately ours is in storage and don't know when we will be able to visit it again
:(

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Our 1st full year of motorhome camping after buying late August and having to acclimatise two cats to life in a mobile home.
So it's pants!
Hannah & Derek have claimed the overcab bed and doing well...

Attachments

• IMG_5604.JPG
    IMG_5604.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not new to Motorhoming but still affected by it, we bought a new van in Feb and could have collected on 1/3/20 for new reg. As we where due to fly off on holiday on the 15 we asked the dealer if we could collect on the 18/4 when we returned home, our holiday got cancelled and now in lockdown so won’t get the van soon either ?

On the plus side we’re young enough and healthy enough to have many years of enjoyment in our new van.

Upvote 0

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
2 x years Travelling in Europe in our VW T6
We picked up our New MH on the 6th March its done 14 miles from the dealer to home and thats where its sat and ive just put it on SORN.
The plus side is im learning all about it without any watchful eys rofl :ROFLMAO: a few mistakes like filling up the water tank and all the water pi...ing out the back because i had the combi heater valve open:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 4b.jpg
    4b.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
We picked up our New MH on the 6th March its done 14 miles from the dealer to home and thats where its sat and ive just put it on SORN.
The plus side is im learning all about it without any watchful eys rofl :ROFLMAO: a few mistakes like filling up the water tank and all the water pi...ing out the back because i had the combi heater valve open:ROFLMAO:
We'd camped on our drive, cooked meals etc. in our MH before finally going out to Bishops Green campsite (~8mile away :eek: )
We've gone further since (Brighton, Hurley & Postern Hill for e.g.) but it was this Easter & Summer that we were looking fwd to.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
We bought our Bilbo last September so haven’t used it much not at all this year.
We had planned to go to Scotland (SWC300) in May so cant see that happening.
I’ve been told by my employer that unless a holiday has been booked via a travel agent I can’t move them!
At least it’s parked on our drive so we can sit in it now and again ?

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We changed ours last year and it normally sits on our drive. Sod’s law it’s sitting at the dealers now having had warranty work done.

Now is the time it would be very useful to have it home so that mum could self isolate in it and I could keep my eye on her and wouldn’t have to travel with shopping.

Upvote 0

Interceptor

Free Member
Feb 25, 2020
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 5
Exp
02-02-20
Hi all
We are very much the same picked up the MH from the dealer on leep year day.
Drove it home started loading it with all the new stuff.
It is like furnishings a new home.
Got one weekend away.
Let's just say eventful as a total novice.
But now I think I know where all the water went thanks c33jay
So sat on the drive ever since.
We had so much booked and can't see the border been opened fully so I have resigned my self that I will look at it on the drive for the for seeable future.
As we at work have closed down apart from my side brake downs only for key user.
Not sure where we stand with holidays time booked and nothing to do.
The wife did mention the decorating but thankfully B&Q closed.
Thank god for box sets on the net.
Any way now I have it off my chest can't say it feels any better??

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
On the bright side, there's ample opportunity to read the plethora of Manuals for the MH.

I might even work out how the awful DAB radio is supposed to work! There's only so much Radio 2 that I can stand.

Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Out of curiosity how do people who have recently purchased a new motorhome , collected but cannot use it stand with rejection if problems emerge after use, it could be months before they get some idea of build quality.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
After admiring this particular model for over 3 years we got our new (to us) MH at the very end of January after part-exing our old one. I'm so grateful that we managed to get a last minute cancellation for valentines weekend because at least we've had a weekend away in it. At least we keep it on the drive so I can sort out the little things that need doing, but that will only keep me going so long.

To say we had great plans for this year is an understatement.....we'd both managed to get 3 weeks off work and were really looking forward to a trip around Italy in May. Needless to say that's not going to happen now :( We're just hoping that this all gets better in the next few months so we can at least have some kind of holiday this year.!

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2019
Lancaster and Morecambe area
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2020

We picked our new motorhome on the 6th March as well. We had two nights away in it as a trial run and it's now back in storage. By the time we get to use it again we'll have forgotten all we learned on the first trip away!

Upvote 0

Interceptor

Free Member
Feb 25, 2020
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 5
Exp
02-02-20
Speeddux
I might even work out how the awful DAB radio is supposed to work! There's only so much Radio 2 that I can stand

I tuned it to Heart radio and while driving it sound sh1t may need a suppressor.

steve&tracy
Out of curiosity how do people who have recently purchased a new motorhome , collected but cannot use it stand with rejection if problems emerge after use, it could be months before they get some idea of build quality.

Good question I have a couple of issues one beef outing one above.

Dangermousy
To say we had great plans for this year is an understatement.....we'd both managed to get 3 weeks off work and were really looking forward to a trip around Italy in May. Needless to say that's not going to happen now :( We're just hoping that this all gets better in the next few months so we can at least have some kind of holiday this year.

You will love Italy I do been dozens of times.
But my wife doesn't eat cheese so meal times are like a bush tucker trile for her.

We where the same over to France champagne regions on the way to classic La Mans and the loire valley on the way back.

Plus Scotland NW500 and lots of long weekends around our favourite attractions.
Now all on hold.
The one thing the two nights we did manage to get away in it.
We needs lots more mains shocket and loads of USB for iPad and iPhones.

Upvote 0

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Swapped ours on 11th March, managed one weekend away. Parked on drive so we have been sitting in it for morning/afternoon cuppa. Spent the last few days making new curtains an cushion covers ?

20200329_173401.jpg

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
We got our first MH in February and managed a 2 trips out (3 nights in total) We are big motorsports fans and so booked a MH slot trackside at Donington for last weekends BTCC and purchased a season pass several circuits

We had to leave it at the Mother in laws while we had a new drive put in for it.

Drive was finished yesterday, and the MH was sorned same day (still on Mother in laws drive) :cry:

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Your frustration is not limited to new buyers. Many of us have booked shows and ferries with dreams now shattered. To see our van ageing without enjoying it is heartbreaking. Like many others, we love our travelling, which today have become only memories.:mad:
try virtual motorhoming, very cheap pitches!

Upvote 0

Mike L

Free Member
Jun 5, 2019
Weymouth in Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I was one week away from collecting my new campervan from the dealer when the lockdown started . Paid 50% of the price for it and was just about to pay the balance so it would be cleared funds when I picked it up . Anybody’s guess when I will be getting it now . At least if I had it at home I could have got used to everything and got it ready to go for when the time comes . My wife has young onset dementia so we were hoping to get to as many places as possible in the next few years before it gets too advanced . Oh well that’s life for you . Just have to grin and bare it and hopefully stay Covid-19 free .

Upvote 0

Maryg

Free Member
May 3, 2016
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Lucky to have ours on the drive so can have a brew and lunch in it. Think we will stay in UK when this is over, not sure if countries in Europe will be happy for us to visit until a vaccine is available, it’s going to be a very trickle return I think. Stay safe folks and hopefully we can all get back to what we like best. My first trip when we can will be to drive to my daughters house , park on drive and spend time with my family . None of them live local. Missing the hugs from them all.

Upvote 0

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Only just bought new motorhome for wife to drive because of my illnesses she want to take me on holiday for the first time as it’s always been me driving now stuck at home gutted is an understatement

Upvote 0

RonnieA

Free Member
Mar 16, 2018
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-T 580 4x4
Exp
Ordered a new Hymer for delivery in July. With Hymer factory closed at the moment that delivery is going to be several months later. Just hoping I can avoid 10% import duties which may come if the Brexit transition period does definitely end on 31st December.

Upvote 0
Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Having spent the last year converting our own self build, it's finally finished and nowhere to go! Worse still, our previous conversion is sat on the drive Sorn'd and unable to sell?

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I'm a newbie
Slept in our new 2019 MH for just 2 nights. A visiting aged relative is stranded in the UK and unable to fly home has been self isolating in the hooked up MH for 2 weeks so far and all I am doing is empyting the waste and topping up the water!! I will never experience that new vehicle smell which makes me sad...

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Planned a really great tour in September. Our longest yet. 4 weeks travelling through France and Northern Italy. Couldn’t make this stuff up really!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back