Free Member
Dec 17, 2012
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi All

I had a Mazda Bongo for a couple of years, which was great fun but very heavy on the old mpg.

Her indoors and I, plus the dog, fancy touring in Europe this year. We want a small camper (so that we can get into towns and park up easily) that does reasonable mpg.

If you were me, which campervans would you look at? There is a bewildering range of choice.

Of course I want to spend as little money as possible on the campervan as well.

Thanks in anticipation for your comments

T

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Early model Auto Sleeper, well built, you can add the gismos to make life more comfortable, size of a transit, think its a "topaz", hold their value well as well,
Could even go for a drive away awning.

Best of luck in your search anyway:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Small ones I love are the old Hymers in the 5 series.
The 544 is popular but I personally love the 584 layout. Nice and short at around 6 Mtrs.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
:welcome: to the mad house
pity you wasn't here around 2 weeks ago you could Have:ROFLMAO: bought robs uce cream van

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
This could be bought cheap. ebay item no 180978199155.

It says ended but it is still for sale. See Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This could be bought cheap. ebay item no 180978199155.

It says ended but it is still for sale. See Link Removed

I think he mentioned 'reasonable' MPG ... :roflmto:

Small campers are great, but you must be prepared to sacrifice facilities.., there will always be a compromise.. for example, you're unlikely to find one 'car' sized, that has a wash room and shower.. if it has, it will have sacrificed space elsewhere..

The Hymers Karl mentioned are great.. but I wouldn't say they are easy to park in towns.. nor particularly economical to run.. for that you need a panel van conversion.. preferably short wheel based..

My choice would be a Japanese camper van import.. based on the Toyota Hi Ace van .. they are well built, very well equipped, well maintained, and many have low mileages..
They come in different styles with either a pop top or high roof, I've even seen one with a rear end shower room.. there are several importers and they occasionally come up on eBay ..

For economy, look for a diesel engine.. around 30MPG .. petrol ones are thirsty.. low twenties..

prices start from about £6k, but expect to pay £10 - £12k for a fresh import in good condition ..

Last edited:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Early model Auto Sleeper, well built, you can add the gismos to make life more comfortable, size of a transit, think its a "topaz", hold their value well as well,
Could even go for a drive away awning.

Best of luck in your search anyway:thumb:

Love my V.W Topaz, Although I travel alone ,have toured France in it. this year, around 35 mpg 2.4 diesel . p.m me if you would like anymore details.........................Del

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back