New member from Newcastle Upon Tyne heading off full time with 3 kids in April (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
NomadicDad

NomadicDad

Free Member
Sep 28, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Rimor
Exp
Newbie to motorhomes but lots of classic VW and camping experience
Well done that family just wish we had the ball's to do it various reasons from financial to health have stooped us good luck with your adventure
bill
I'm a great believer in the abilities of everyone and that if you want something enough you can take lots of small steps to get you closer to pretty much anything you put your mind to but not naive enough to not understand some financial and health reasons are not always able to be overcome :unsure: However as I posted above, if someone who is totally blind and 80% deaf in both ears (this guy) can get their things in order to be able to explore the World then most people without such disabilities should be able to do at least some exploring (y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If your children are small enough to be lowered down a well on a rope, but strong enough to fill a bucket with stones when they are down there, feel free to spend some time in Central Portugal at Quinta Majay.

Rural peace and quiet in the middle of woodlands...

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Very commendable and very brave. Hope you don't suffer any problems with health or travel. So much to think about beforehand.
Don't forget to get the Motorhome tax, insurance and MOT completed before you go as a vehicle has to meet the requirements of the country it is registered in.
Good luck and enjoy.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We met a family from NZ in Italy who did a very similar trip with 2 young children. They got on just fine and I'm sure the kids learned a lot from the "school of life"
Best of luck Phil

OP
OP
NomadicDad

NomadicDad

Free Member
Sep 28, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Rimor
Exp
If your children are small enough to be lowered down a well on a rope, but strong enough to fill a bucket with stones when they are down there, feel free to spend some time in Central Portugal at Quinta Majay.

Rural peace and quiet in the middle of woodlands...

JJ :cool:
Wow thanks JJ. Just reading your post about it from back in 2009 on here. I would love to do some manual work if you need any help when we are near as I spend most of my days on a laptop staring at a screen and loved cutting down some orange trees when over in Spain late last year to help some people out I met online (more here).

Portugal is on our must see list and we were hoping to be down that away sometime around September / October but will let you know as our plans are pretty 'fluid' as we don't want to plan the fun out of things!

Jan 5, 2018
York
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 664,2014
Exp
2016 uk various sites and one month Holland, 2017 uk and 3 months France
The perfect way to broaden the minds of children by introducing them the new cultures and peoples. Have a great time

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Sounds like an adventure and the kids Im sure will only benefit from the experience.

One minor detail, Im assuming the little dog is going with you, and that you have his/her pet passport all in place.

OP
OP
NomadicDad

NomadicDad

Free Member
Sep 28, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Rimor
Exp
Sounds like an adventure and the kids Im sure will only benefit from the experience.

One minor detail, Im assuming the little dog is going with you, and that you have his/her pet passport all in place.
Thanks all for the well wishes and yes he's coming with us and we are picking up the dog's pet passport today along with supplies of tablets etc for him (y)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Good Luck! It's a great experience for the kids.

You are "planning" for an awful lot of driving leaving little time to actually flavour the atmosphere of different places.
I see you are planning a route north and east to begin with. My advise would be to follow the sun south. The reason being that it is very very difficult fulltiming with kids in the cold and wet. It is miserable.

OP
OP
NomadicDad

NomadicDad

Free Member
Sep 28, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Rimor
Exp
You are "planning" for an awful lot of driving leaving little time to actually flavour the atmosphere of different places. I see you are planning a route north and east to begin with. My advise would be to follow the sun south. The reason being that it is very very difficult fulltiming with kids in the cold and wet. It is miserable.
We are heading North into Scandinavia in the late Spring / early summer to be not too cold or hot anywhere hopefully but our current thinking is Holland in May before North Germany / Denmark in June then Sweden and Norway late June and July. We will then head back down into Germany in August which might be too hot for some of us before Spain / Portugal September onwards and maybe around to Italy and Greece before heading back via some of Eastern Europe but we are flexible (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Exciting! Getting back to the boring stuff though, I assume you've got your full-timing insurance sorted out and also checked what payload you'll have for all your clobber - Rimors sometimes only have a small payload, especially the larger ones - you'll need to know each axle weight when fully loaded to be sure you are legal (this includes with all your clobber, kids, water, gas, food etc on board - oh and the dog too!).

OP
OP
NomadicDad

NomadicDad

Free Member
Sep 28, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Rimor
Exp
Thanks @Minxy Girl Yes we are going to be going with the only true full timing insurance we have found via Comfort (unless anyone has other recommendations?) as we are renting our house out whilst away so wont technically have a full home address other than parents for the odd post. As for weights and payloads, I intend to go to the local weighbridge with a test set up to see what we have to play with (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks @Minxy Girl Yes we are going to be going with the only true full timing insurance we have found via Comfort (unless anyone has other recommendations?) as we are renting our house out whilst away so wont technically have a full home address other than parents for the odd post. As for weights and payloads, I intend to go to the local weighbridge with a test set up to see what we have to play with (y)
Forgot to ask, what model is your MH? We used to have a Rimor Sailer 645TC (basically a low profile version of the Superbrig models which have the overcab bed) but found that it had a very low payload so we had to be very careful with what we took with us ... that was just for us and 2 dogs! What I'm concerned at is that you may get a nasty shock at the weighbridge once you put loads of stuff in for full-timing ... not wanting to put you off but better to get the weighbridge figures as soon as you can.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
:welcomesign: Very much looking forward to following your travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back