Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Funsters thinking about getting a new mattress for their van might like to look at the Custom Size Beds website.

I ordered a standard size 4' 6" memory foam mattress from them (7" thick) and it has been delivered after about a week. Cost was £154.99 including delivery.

We are not away in the van at the moment so I can't say what its like to sleep on (seems fine though) but I was concerned I might have a problem squeezing it into the car to take it to the storage site.

I can confirm the mattress fits easily in the back of a Mini!

Paul
mattress.jpg

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
What ever you do don't open it before it's where you want it..... open and stand clear...!!:confused:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What ever you do don't open it before it's where you want it..... open and stand clear...!!:confused:
... and make sure you are at end of it nearest the exit so you don't get 'trapped'! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You've opened one too I take it.... mine attacked me and left me for dead...:confused:
Not a mattress but a thick king sized topper ... like trying to wrestle a giant waffle!!!! :LOL:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I need a new mattress too, but can't get on with a memory foam one, had one on the bed at home and went back to sprung mattress, then put memory foam topper on :rollingeyes:
Will replace slats first then see how it does.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We got a memory foam mattress for home. When I unwrapped it it kept growing for about four days. We do both like it. When the van needs a new one we will get memory foam again.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We gave a Raskelf topper on our van mattress plus the Hymer slat system most comfortable bed in the world.
The only problem we have is getting up its just too comfy:).

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I can also fully recommend Custom sized beds, very helpful on the phone when I was trying to work out which type to have, good price and very fast delivery. The new memory foam mattress from them has made a huge difference, ours came with what looked like 2 tea towels which we thought was odd, we left them and the next day they turned into 2 big fat pillows. The reason we changed was that the original Autotrail mattress was way too soft causing a big in dip the middle, it felt like you was sleeping in a valley..

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I can also fully recommend Custom sized beds, very helpful on the phone when I was trying to work out which type to have, good price and very fast delivery. The new memory foam mattress from them has made a huge difference, ours came with what looked like 2 tea towels which we thought was odd, we left them and the next day they turned into 2 big fat pillows. The reason we changed was that the original Autotrail mattress was way too soft causing a big in dip the middle, it felt like you was sleeping in a valley..
What mattress did you go because I looked on the web site and they do 3 types. Also I did a enquiry and the chap rang the next day and said we could see some samples on our return from France, so we will go and have a look.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
What mattress did you go because I looked on the web site and they do 3 types. Also I did a enquiry and the chap rang the next day and said we could see some samples on our return from France, so we will go and have a look.

I went for the premium at 6" depth, I chose for this as the bed is over the garage and I didn't want to go too high. I can honestly say it's very much better than the original Auto-trail one in that it is much firmer. Ours is the standard 4' 6" width and normal length which is shorter than the Auto-trail jobbie that left a 8" gap at the end of the bed that I now utilized for storage.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I went for the premium at 6" depth, I chose for this as the bed is over the garage and I didn't want to go too high. I can honestly say it's very much better than the original Auto-trail one in that it is much firmer. Ours is the standard 4' 6" width and normal length which is shorter than the Auto-trail jobbie that left a 8" gap at the end of the bed that I now utilized for storage.

What sort of base do you have, our over bed is slatted, am going to get new slats, see how that goes, not keen on memory foam as a matress, have tried at home, without success.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
What sort of base do you have, our over bed is slatted, am going to get new slats, see how that goes, not keen on memory foam as a mattress, have tried at home, without success.

It's a solid base with a removable plastic honeycomb affair about 1/2" thick which I think is for ventilation under the mattress. I would have probably gone for a standard off the shelf sprung mattress but they are twice the weight and our bed is behind the rear wheels.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Just wanted to thank Easyliving for this thread as we have been looking for a new custom-size mattress for Udo and Custom Sized Beds have been fantastic!

Haven't tried it out yet, but first impressions are good an their service was exemplary. It was a bit disconcerting finding two flat biscuit-thin pieces of fabric amongst the mattress, but these turned out to be the pillows I'd also ordered. Left them for 2 days and they've plumped up nicely.

I went for an 8" thick gel-topped memory foam mattress. Much thicker and infinitely more comfortable than Udo's original mattress which we had enhanced with a Duvalay topper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back