New Laws In France From Today (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The AA website says that there are reports about this new law but is "isn't the case".

Do you have a link? We're off to France in a couple of days and we take our German Shepherds which we don't/couldn't cage and don't want to tie up
Sorry I only reposted a warning from another site. Flying dogs in the event of an emergency stop are a danger to yourselves and also other road users. It is simple enough to tether them in a body harness so they and you are safe and also so that they have room to stand, sit and turn around.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I don't understand why anyone who has a dog or cat or pet in a vehicle DOES NOT make sure they are secured down/safe whilst traveling. Are they not your pride and joy your best mate or friend????? or does that ONLY apply to your human best mate or friend or pride and joy.

What would happen if you killed your pet because you FAILED to insure it was safe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
The new law simply specifies that animals must be restrained in a motor vehicle. Up until now having an unrestrained animal on board came under the general heading of a driver 'being in total control' at the wheel (ex.: a dog could impede a driver in various ways - jumping, falling etc. - Also could cause accidents should it jump out when a door's opened... Would become a lethal missile in the case of a collision or emergency braking etc. etc.). It has been a fineable offence(Category 2 - €22) for a long time. Same rules, just more specific.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The reason that I don't tether the dogs is that one lays in under the table and one lays down the back in the bedroom. I have no doubt that, we will all be dead in the event of a serious crash lol

My dogs don't run round, don't jump out when I open the door nor do they try to sit on my lap. I have no intention of caging them, or thethering them until there is a specif law in place
I don't understand why anyone who has a dog or cat or pet in a vehicle DOES NOT make sure they are secured down/safe whilst traveling. Are they not your pride and joy your best mate or friend????? or does that ONLY apply to your human best mate or friend or pride and joy.

What would happen if you killed your pet because you FAILED to insure it was safe.
I'd buy another one! its a pet!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
@old-mo can you put me on the list for one of those.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There IS a specific law ....

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
In the past being quite involved with UK traffic Police and road safety training I can assure you that the Police in the UK can issue a ticket for not being in proper control of a motor vehicle if you are swigging water out of a bottle, eating a sandwich or delving into a bag of chips etc., so it's not just France.
In the end though common sense should prevail on both sides

UK Traffic Police? I think I read about those in a history book. Seriously, I must have seen one Traffic Police vehicle in the past six months. The chances of being caught are pretty slim. In that same six months I must have seen 200 people using a mobile phone while driving.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I don't understand why anyone who has a dog or cat or pet in a vehicle DOES NOT make sure they are secured down/safe whilst traveling. Are they not your pride and joy your best mate or friend????? or does that not apply to your human best mate or friend or pride and joy.

The reason that I don't tether the dogs is that one lays in under the table and one lays down the back in the bedroom. I have no doubt that, we will all be dead in the event of a serious crash lol

My dogs don't run round, don't jump out when I open the door nor do they try to sit on my lap. I have no intention of caging them, or thethering them until there is a specif law in place

I'd buy another one! its a pet!

Eddie, I have never met you, and up to today I was full of respect for you, however your comment above I find hard to swallow as a pet lover. This tells me what you think of your pets. I can only hope you never have an accident bad enough for your comment to come back and haunt you.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What that dogs have to be caged or tied up in a vehicle? That is what I asked in my first post.

No one seems to have a link though, just a link to a similar discussion on MotorhomeFun

C'est le moment de Broken Link Removed. Mais le chien doit-il être attaché en voiture? Que dit concrètement la loi? En France, aucun texte de loi n'oblige explicitement à attacher son chien en voiture.
Cependant, l’article R412-6 du code de la route relatif à la maitrise du véhicule stipule que:

II.-Tout conducteur doit se tenir constamment en état et en position d’exécuter commodément et sans délai toutes les manœuvres qui lui incombent. Ses possibilités de mouvement et son champ de vision ne doivent pas être réduits par le nombre ou la position des passagers, par les objets transportés ou par l’apposition d’objets non transparents sur les vitres.En d'autre terme, le chien qui divague en liberté dans la voiture peut consistuer une distraction pour le conducteur, et l'empêcher d'exécuter commodément et sans délai toutes les manoeuvres qui lui incombent ou de voir correctement la route.

Ainsi, un agent des forces de l'ordre peut sans conteste donner une contravention si le chien transporté n'est pas attaché dans la voiture(roulante ou pas). Même dans une situation ou le chien est bien assis à l'arrière du véhicule sans gêner le conducteur, le simple principe de précaution prévaut en ce domaine, et en ces termes la contravention est justifiée, pour la sécurité de l'animal et des passagers en
Amendes :

Non respect de la ceinture de sécurité : amende de 4e classe

Obstruction à la « maitrise » du conducteur : amende de 2e classe

Amendes minorées, forfaitaires, majorées :

1ère classe 4 €, 7 €
2ème classe 22 €, 35 €, 75 €3ème classe 45 €, 68 €, 180 €
4ème classe 90 €, 135 €, 375 €5ème classe jusqu’à 1500 €

Ces restrictions s’appliquent même à l’arrêt. Et concernant le stationnement d’un véhicule avec un chien à son bord, l’article R412-49 stipule que :

Tout arrêt ou stationnement, gênant, dangereux ou contraire à toute disposition prise par l’autorité investie du pouvoir de police, d’un animal isolé ou en groupe est puni de l’amende prévue pour les contraventions de la première classe.

Est puni de la même sanction, le fait pour tout conducteur de s’éloigner du lieu de stationnement de son animal sans avoir pris les précautions utiles pour prévenir tout risque d’accident du fait de son absence.

.... Above, law as it stood till 1/7/2015 .... Dogs etc. included in possible foreseeable hindrances to complete control while driving.

Since 1st. July the law actually itemises things clearly. (Unattached animals, eating/drinking at wheel, headsets etc.etc.etc.) So nothing's changed, just made clearer.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
John, this is Motorhome FUN, my comment was tongue in cheek aimed at the many many people on Fun that have met us, and our dogs, and would know immediately.

Lyn and I have two very pampered, very spoilt German Shepherds and I have posted lots of photos here of our dogs that never (rarely) leave our side.

Our current RV was purchased for the "boys" as much as us for the space that it gives them.

Just in case you still suspect me a dog hater, lol This is a picture of me carrying one of them across the sand which I thought was too hot for their paws, but they wanted a swim, so what's a man to do? One 48Kg and the other 50Kg
eddies iphone April 2013 124.JPG
GEDC0216.JPG

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
C'est le moment de Broken Link Removed. Mais le chien doit-il être attaché en voiture? Que dit concrètement la loi? En France, aucun texte de loi n'oblige explicitement à attacher son chien en voiture.
Cependant, l’article R412-6 du code de la route relatif à la maitrise du véhicule stipule que:

II.-Tout conducteur doit se tenir constamment en état et en position d’exécuter commodément et sans délai toutes les manœuvres qui lui incombent. Ses possibilités de mouvement et son champ de vision ne doivent pas être réduits par le nombre ou la position des passagers, par les objets transportés ou par l’apposition d’objets non transparents sur les vitres.En d'autre terme, le chien qui divague en liberté dans la voiture peut consistuer une distraction pour le conducteur, et l'empêcher d'exécuter commodément et sans délai toutes les manoeuvres qui lui incombent ou de voir correctement la route.

Ainsi, un agent des forces de l'ordre peut sans conteste donner une contravention si le chien transporté n'est pas attaché dans la voiture(roulante ou pas). Même dans une situation ou le chien est bien assis à l'arrière du véhicule sans gêner le conducteur, le simple principe de précaution prévaut en ce domaine, et en ces termes la contravention est justifiée, pour la sécurité de l'animal et des passagers en
Amendes :

Non respect de la ceinture de sécurité : amende de 4e classe

Obstruction à la « maitrise » du conducteur : amende de 2e classe

Amendes minorées, forfaitaires, majorées :

1ère classe 4 €, 7 €
2ème classe 22 €, 35 €, 75 €3ème classe 45 €, 68 €, 180 €
4ème classe 90 €, 135 €, 375 €5ème classe jusqu’à 1500 €

Ces restrictions s’appliquent même à l’arrêt. Et concernant le stationnement d’un véhicule avec un chien à son bord, l’article R412-49 stipule que :

Tout arrêt ou stationnement, gênant, dangereux ou contraire à toute disposition prise par l’autorité investie du pouvoir de police, d’un animal isolé ou en groupe est puni de l’amende prévue pour les contraventions de la première classe.

Est puni de la même sanction, le fait pour tout conducteur de s’éloigner du lieu de stationnement de son animal sans avoir pris les précautions utiles pour prévenir tout risque d’accident du fait de son absence.

.... Above, law as it stood till 1/7/2015 .... Dogs etc. included in possible foreseeable hindrances to complete control while driving.

Since 1st. July the law actually itemises things clearly. (Unattached animals, eating/drinking at wheel, headsets etc.etc.etc.) So nothing's changed, just made clearer.

Thank you, my point " En France, aucun texte de loi n'oblige explicitement à attacher son chien en voiture."

In France no law states that you have to tie your dog! No mention of a cage either. Just being sensible which is the same as the UK. Really what I was asking this morning. I have just checked the French Highway code, again nothing to say that a dog has to be caged or harnessed.

And of course the quote was an article not an official website. The best interpretation of the new rules is here:-
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html#26pointplan

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
People aren't stupid! Dog owners know if their dog is uncontrollable In their vehicles, if they are likely to want to walk about or jump. They Would strap them down, but most dogs I know just want to curl up in their beds and sleep. Vans don't come with anywhere to strap your dog up to, and cages are big and cumbersome. We have the bed behind the seat they can't be thrown under the pedals and driving with a dog! Child or anything else on your knee is Dangerous driving and should bring a prosecution. My dogs are safer on the floor than sat on a seat with a safety strap on them I Know I've tried it! It ended up dangling over the front of the seat trying to jump down, IT was safe I wasn't !!trying to make sure it didn't wasn't strangling itself.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 – Les chiens et la loi – Le code de la route

Le code de la route ne fait pas d’allusion directe au transport des chiens. Pourtant si cela incombe au bon sens, le transport d’un chien en liberté est à la fois dangereux et interdit.
This was the case before 1st. July.

redjohn151

Free Member
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer b534
Exp
I'm a newbie
To be honest I have difficulty eating when driving I'm always busy watching videos on my laptop and stroking the dogs that insist on jumping on my shoulders.
But I do think eating at the wheel is very very dangerous.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Le code de la route ne fait pas d’allusion directe au transport des chiens. Pourtant si cela incombe au bon sens, le transport d’un chien en liberté est à la fois dangereux et interdit.
and the translation for those of us who do not speak French please?

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
and the translation for those of us who do not speak French please?

4 - Dogs and the Law - The Highway Code

The highway code makes no direct reference to the transport of dogs. Yet if it falls in the right direction, transporting an unrestrained dog is both dangerous and prohibited.

Google translated, not me :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have taught one of my dogs to cook us a meal whilst driving, the other to open the grey water valves!

They also bark when we nod off driving ;-)

With the greatest of respects Stcyr, posting lots of French, saying that there is NO specific law to cage or restrain your dog does NOT back up the post about new laws. In fact the OP said

"Dogs MUST be tethered or caged in ALL types of vehicles.Fines for the dogs are €90 per dog" and suggested that this was a "new law"

There is no new law or any law that says that dogs have to be tied or caged.

The situation remains the same as it was : If your stupid enough to let your dog cause or be responsible for a crash, you'd better be ready for a fine. If you have taken sensible precautions up till now, I suspect that there is no need to change.
Donc pas de loi modifie ensuite . Comprendre ? Juste ma petite blague

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Pardon me if I get this all wrong but the danger with dogs, as with anything else that is not secured in a vehicle, is that it becomes a flying object in the event of a sudden stop, which has nothing to do with erratic behaviour etc. I am really not having a go at Eddie who knows his dogs but cannot know of unexpected behaviour by others which is beyond his control.
Alan

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I am off to France in a few days, and I saw a post saying "new laws" I wanted to check and verify if would be breaking these "new laws" in a few days. It seems I won't as they are not new laws.

On a practical note, what should we tether two nigh on 50Kg dogs to? Having seen motorhomes involved in crashes there is little left. The tins and bottles in the lockers and cupboards become deadly missiles, as do coffee machines, kettles and slow cookers.

Most of the internal furniture is turned to matchsticks!

Most of the time Shadow (one of our two dogs) travels in the dinette void, and Sabre (the other one) takes himself into our bedroom, and lies between the bed and the rear wall, again in a tunnel, up against a solid base.

Like lots of things in life there is, I believe a practical, a perfect and a compromise. This is a compromise, albeit one that we are comfortable with. The same choice we made when we used to put our children to bed whilst travelling, in their beds.

If I travel on a bus, a coach or a train I don't wear a seat belt. When I fly, I am made to wear one for parts of the journey.

So by the same token, when Lyn is driving I have no qualms about getting up and moving around the motorhome, using the loo or even making a sandwich

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ok, do as you like. Simple fact is that from 1st. July 2015 the law is that all animals have to be tethered in any motor vehicle. I no longer have dogs and am not bothered at all one way or another. Simply stating facts. :sleep:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
It does not matter how much sense a law makes there will always be those who choose to ignore it. Best of luck to them and their insurance companies. Thanks for the clarification Peter, the information is out there let people do what they will with it.

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
John, this is Motorhome FUN, my comment was tongue in cheek aimed at the many many people on Fun that have met us, and our dogs, and would know immediately.

Lyn and I have two very pampered, very spoilt German Shepherds and I have posted lots of photos here of our dogs that never (rarely) leave our side.

Our current RV was purchased for the "boys" as much as us for the space that it gives them.

Hi @eddievanbitz
Was you in Spain in June @ Calpe
There was a couple there with 2 German Shephards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back