New Laws In France From Today (1 Viewer)

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
The new laws come into effect today so beware.

No eating or drinking whilst driving
No driving in flip flop type sandals
Dogs MUST be tethered or caged in ALL types of vehicles.Fines for the dogs are €90 per dog.

Glad I'm not going to France this year as I would break all of those laws nearly everyday :mad:

Isn't the point of the EU that we ALL have similar laws to abide by or that just too simplistic? There wouldn't be much of a problem here with our non existent Police anyhow :rolleyes:

Cheers Antony

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

Dogs MUST be tethered or caged in ALL types of vehicles.Fines for the dogs are €90 per dog.

My dogs don't have their own money! How would they pay a fine???
But seriously, it's sensible, for the dogs protection as well as humans.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Ah well another country off the tour list for many, the world is becoming such a small place. Not eat whilst driving whatever next. no more cheese and wine and I suppose a pint of beer is out of the question as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
These activities may not be specifically illegal in the UK but you do risk breaking the law by driving without due care and attention. There are plenty of examples if you google the issue. Police are keen to issue Penalties in these circumstances and will use camera evidence.

My pet hate is those drivers who turn to talk to you whilst driving and even worse to talk to rear seat passengers which a recovery driver did to my wife and I after a major accident on a 250 mile drive home almost constantly. You can't legislate against this sort of stupidity.

A split second lack of attention is all it takes to be in a crash.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Oh no - woe is us.

Nasty gendarmes are waiting for all of us as soon as we get of the boat and will throw is in jail for a million years if our breathyliser kit is out of date..............NOT.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Are you allowed Generators. :eek:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Nearly finished my new invention...

Just got to some how make it a bit more portable and compact...

It will feed liquid Smoke and Bacon Butty`s and White Wine intravenously.. into your gob through a tube.. (y)

Broken Link Removed

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

So now if you need a drink, you have to pull over onto a motorway aire with the risk of being gassed or robber...;) Why would anyone want to put themselves through it.......:cool:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
France is certainly becoming less friendly to Motorhomes. My pet hate is the extended no overtaking and 80km speed limit for those of us plus 3.5 tons, there is also a hint of nervousness when searching for hidden speed traps. To date I genuinely do not know how to turn my TomToms radar detector off.
When I first began visiting France it was not unknown for police to hide and catch out anyone crossing double lines, then breathalysers came and went, Next it was "A" frame tow bars and no eating or drinking while driving. They will be stopping us using our mobile phones next, just you wait and see.
Alan

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Can't you remember the young girl over here that was fined for eating a kitkat a few years ago? It is a law over here.
Don't know how they could enforce the dog securing though unless they plan to stop every vehicle ? My two are curled up in their bed on the floor! Anyway I think our foreign trips are finished 3200 miles this year was far to much !

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

The AA website says that there are reports about this new law but is "isn't the case".

Do you have a link? We're off to France in a couple of days and we take our German Shepherds which we don't/couldn't cage and don't want to tie up

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
On a serious note regarding the tethering of dogs in the car etc.
My ole dad was, legally, parked at the side of the road when he was tail-ended by another car causing him injuries he never fully recovered from.
How did the lady driver manage to run into the back of a parked car?
She'd had her little dog on her lap and it jumped off into the foot well and she bent down to try and retrieve it while still driving.
Bang!
Just sometimes you have to use legislation to try and curb the actions of numb-sculls

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Given that eating in France consists of a 5 course meal with wine lasting at least 2 hours one can understand Monsieur Le Plod's concern, but surely a quick swig of bottled water while driving an empty autoroute in southern France? Sacre Bleu.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Given that eating in France consists of a 5 course meal with wine lasting at least 2 hours one can understand Monsieur Le Plod's concern, but surely a quick swig of bottled water while driving an empty autoroute in southern France? Sacre Bleu.

In the past being quite involved with UK traffic Police and road safety training I can assure you that the Police in the UK can issue a ticket for not being in proper control of a motor vehicle if you are swigging water out of a bottle, eating a sandwich or delving into a bag of chips etc., so it's not just France.
In the end though common sense should prevail on both sides

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back