Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I cant imagine any Motor home falling into this new regulation but just for info
here is the lowdown

In July 2020, following an industry-wide consultation, The Department for Transport (DFT) announced a ban on tyres over 10 years old on any axle of minibuses with single wheels fitted or on the front axle of any lorry, bus or coach. As this legislation takes effect on 1 February 2021, I wanted to let you know how this will affect you.

What it means for you​

The legislation applies mainly to heavy commercial vehicles – HGVs and PSVs - which we test at Authorised Testing Facilities (ATFs).

But it also applies to some vehicles that fall into the MOT scheme – so vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats that are not used commercially – so are not tested as PSVs. These vehicles are tested in MOT classes 4 or 5, so the test will change for them.

This means failures for tyres over 10 years old on the front axle of any vehicles with 9 or more passenger seats, and any single wheels of a minibus (9-16 passenger seats). These vehicles will also fail if they do not display a legible date code on in scope tyres.

So, when testing you will need to check that each tyre displays a date of manufacture or re-treading date on the appropriate vehicle.

This will not add significant additional test time as the tyres are already checked for condition.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Michelin did say for camper tyres up to 10 years old with regular inspections

I ran some 13 year old Michelin campers, they had sort of fossilized and were harder than the road surface. Terrible on the road and grass. But would have passed any MOT. They looked perfect, but with less grip than you'd have on a greased piglet, they really were an accident waiting to happen.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
To be honest know idea how old the tyres are on some trucks I have driven. They usually have retreads or the cheap Chinese tyres like golden crown etc. The rear tyres on the van are 9 years old and glad I never wasted money replacing them as it’s not moved for over a year and can’t see it moving before the summer at this rate.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Wonder if I should change the 21 year old tyres on one of my classic bikes?😁😁

It’s only done about 800 miles so should still be ok😁😁

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I ran some 13 year old Michelin campers, they had sort of fossilized and were harder than the road surface. Terrible on the road and grass. But would have passed any MOT. They looked perfect, but with less grip than you'd have on a greased piglet, they really were an accident waiting to happen.
These are normally referred to as Michelin Pile ups ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Years ago at one of the shows I bought an anchor for the door, it's just a small suction cup with a small diameter bungee loop, the suction cup goes on the moho level with the bottom locking bolt which the bungee loop goes over, It's never let me down but I don't use it if half a gale is blowing.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
WOW !!! Never manage to make tyres last longer than a few years any way !!
BUT..
I have seen some horrible old things on motorcycles.. Look fine but tyres made of glass and sawdust would have more grip !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Years ago at one of the shows I bought an anchor for the door, it's just a small suction cup with a small diameter bungee loop, the suction cup goes on the moho level with the bottom locking bolt which the bungee loop goes over, It's never let me down but I don't use it if half a gale is blowing.
Ummmmm I think you have shot your arrow and hit the wrong thread !!! LOL !!!

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Buggered if I know how this ended up on this thread, you lot must think I'm a right div

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
BUT, as you opened the door on the subject, we use a bunjee from the door pocket hooked into a wheel hole.
Mitch.
🤪

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I’ll bet they were the old m+s rated camper tyres with flat tread ? Shocking tyre

mans I bet some poor unsuspecting motorhome buyer, thinking they have to have camper tyres will buy these
C9587F4A-B3C6-4E36-97C3-F50B2E5E7875.png

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I cant imagine any Motor home falling into this new regulation but just for info
here is the lowdown

In July 2020, following an industry-wide consultation, The Department for Transport (DFT) announced a ban on tyres over 10 years old on any axle of minibuses with single wheels fitted or on the front axle of any lorry, bus or coach. As this legislation takes effect on 1 February 2021, I wanted to let you know how this will affect you.

What it means for you​

The legislation applies mainly to heavy commercial vehicles – HGVs and PSVs - which we test at Authorised Testing Facilities (ATFs).

But it also applies to some vehicles that fall into the MOT scheme – so vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats that are not used commercially – so are not tested as PSVs. These vehicles are tested in MOT classes 4 or 5, so the test will change for them.

This means failures for tyres over 10 years old on the front axle of any vehicles with 9 or more passenger seats, and any single wheels of a minibus (9-16 passenger seats). These vehicles will also fail if they do not display a legible date code on in scope tyres.

So, when testing you will need to check that each tyre displays a date of manufacture or re-treading date on the appropriate vehicle.

This will not add significant additional test time as the tyres are already checked for condition.
Way over due

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Either way I would not run 10yr old tyres anyway.
I value my life and the life of other road users!
I sold a set of tyres/ wheels yesterday. Irish Fella tuned up in a commercial vehicle and changed the front wheels on my drive. The tyres he took off had less then 1mm across the centre of the tyre with nothing across the edges at all. I cant believe he got away with driving a van in that condition. Hope I dont have someone like him behind me if I need to brake in an emergency.

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
Tyres were my first "lesson learned the hard way" after we bought our first motohome. We had a puncture in Garmish just before heading home and put the spare on, intending to stop at the first decent looking depot en route. Passing Saarbrucken on the A620 dual carriageway, luckily at my usual 85kph pottering speed, there was an enormous bang followed by us grinding to a very sudden halt in lane 1 (no hard shoulder). The rear offside tyre had suffered almost instant and total destruction and in doing so , the steel warp had torn a sizeable chunk out of the inside of the wheel arch, leaving the cupboard under the sink almost open to the elements.
I grabbed yellow jacket & warning triangle before running back along the lane trying to push traffic out into the clear lane, while the Boss was trying to raise some interest from the Politzie on her mobile.
Once the traffic had backed up a bit it felt much safer, but the experience was not one that I shall forget in a hurry.
Rule 1: Don't put a shitty old spare tyre onto the rear axle of a well loaded motorhome and expect to get away with it! We were lucky. CB.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Years back id just been to a works meeting
revolving around helf an safly
came out of the meeting

across the yard to my van
I spotted a van with a carbuncle
on the tyre big as a bald head
me being helpfull I stuck a knife in to it
called the company tyre repair firm reported it
then told the guvenor ( my boss )
he wasn’t pleased till I reminded him
i was only thinking of YOUR SAFTEY sir

he grudgingly said thanks 🙏 :whistle2: :RollEyes: :Smile:

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
WOW !!! Never manage to make tyres last longer than a few years any way !!
BUT..
I have seen some horrible old things on motorcycles.. Look fine but tyres made of glass and sawdust would have more grip !
Rally tuned mini cooper S, (proper mini) sometimes only got 500 miles out of a pair on the front !
Mad days

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back