Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
On my old lap top I had Norton security but it didn’t stop my lap top from getting problems and it has gone that slow that it’s unbearable, plus the charger has packed in.
I’ve ordered a new HP laptop and would like to know what security to buy, what do others suggest.

John.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
My it friend says use Windows defender.
Its very good these days.

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
I have used Avast (the free version) since 2002. Never once had a problem and it doesn't slow down the system/start up.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Me myself I use McAfee, but I worked there 8 years and know how good it is. I also know how poor some of the others are ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
In Windows 10 it is supposed to be. Quote from MS "Windows Defender Antivirus protects against viruses, spyware and other malicious software".
Microsoft wrote Windows 10. It has lots of holes and weaknesses allowing virus writers to attack it.

Then they sell a package to protect it.

If Microsoft were so good, Windows 10 would be foolproof.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Microsoft wrote Windows 10. It has lots of holes and weaknesses allowing virus writers to attack it.

Then they sell a package to protect it.

If Microsoft were so good, Windows 10 would be foolproof.
They don't sell it. It comes as an integral part of Windows 10. And nothing, not even the "mighty" Apple, is foolproof.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I use Kaspersky AV. And no, there's nothing on my computer I don't want the Kremlin to see. :ROFLMAO:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Avast Free Antivirus for the last 10+ years. No issues except the occasional pop-up "try the paid version".
ZoneAlarm Free for the firewall for 20+(?) years.
Also run AdwCleaner (portable), Spybot (portable) and Malwarebytes Free every week or two for further checks.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Never had any problems with the free AVG. Along with Malwarebytes and Spybot it does the job for me. Revo uninstaller is very useful too for reaching stuff that Control Panel's uninstaller leaves behind.

Jan 18, 2018
Old Basing, Basingstoke, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285
On my old lap top I had Norton security but it didn’t stop my lap top from getting problems and it has gone that slow that it’s unbearable, plus the charger has packed in.
I’ve ordered a new HP laptop and would like to know what security to buy, what do others suggest.

John.

Use Windows Defender, it is as good as any "paid for" application. Don't be fooled there is NOTHING that will protect you 100%.
Even the best estimates recon that the best anti virus software will only give you about 70ish % protection.

Also when choosing look at the overhead some of these applications have. They sit in memory taking up resources and slowing the machine down.

Go for Defender and keep it updated. Only download stuff from trusted sites and just be careful generally.

Reactions: DBK

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the problem with the russian controlled kaspersky is not just that it can expose your financial details. it gives hackers (possibly state sponsored) access to use your computer to attack networks in the uk amongst other things

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Use Windows Defender, it is as good as any "paid for" application.
Sorry, it just isn't.

Even the best estimates recon that the best anti virus software will only give you about 70ish % protection.
When I worked at McAfee, I had 10 machines in a stack. I had McAfee software on the top one, and one each of the other top 10 products. Each week I'd run them against our massive collection of viruses. Was over 1,000,000 even then. All the products achieved over 95%. My test results were used by many

Also when choosing look at the overhead some of these applications have. They sit in memory taking up resources and slowing the machine down.
The rubbish ones take up no memory as they have no real-time protection. The best ones take up a bit of memory as they are constantly working hard for you.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
No doubt there are plenty of negative reviews on most of the av software but perhaps things have moved on since the days when McAfee may have been the best around, these are recent.

Top Ten Reviews.com on McAfee:

Pros / The yearly subscription comes with unlimited licenses, so you can protect all your devices, including cell phones and tablets.

Cons / McAfee doesn’t detect as many malware threats as other antivirus programs.

Verdict / Though it doesn’t protect against malware as well as most antivirus programs we tested, McAfee is a step up from the basic protection Microsoft Windows Defender provides. In addition, it doesn’t tax your computer’s resources while it scans.

"I'm told that McAfee is the worst anti virus software. Can someone comment on this? I recently subscribed to McAfee's Total Protection and use if for scanning. McAfee never finds anything. Do I need to worry? I also use McAfee real time scanning and the web advisor from McAfee. What should I be using for complete protection? Thanks.

worst? no, it's a widely-used product, by personal and business clients; it's as good as most major vendors; the only issue is the retail cost/price - higher than the average.

I would also suggest you check AVAST Good antivirus tool, and it's free."

McAfee 2018 Review: Not Quite Good Enough

McAfee's 2018 Windows antivirus lineup can cover all the devices of a large family. All its products come with a file shredder, many have an excellent password manager, and the top end offers backup software. Many of the products can be installed on an unlimited number of devices on a single license.

On the downside, McAfee's antivirus software won’t let you opt out of system-data collection and it uses an excessive amount of system resources. Worse, its malware protection hasn't been very good, despite a new detection engine, often faring no better than Microsoft's free antivirus software in lab tests.

A new McAfee malware-detection engine debuted midway through 2017, but its results have been mixed so far. Until McAfee's detection scores consistently improve, we'll recommend Bitdefender, Kaspersky or Norton instead.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
Sorry for bumping an older post but may help someone.

Sophos do a free version for home users and it is good. Just search for Sophos Home then register download and install.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back