New Kettle - Thermos (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I’ve been looking for a new electric kettle that I could use with my 1500w inverter. Most are either higher power, low quantity (<.5ltr) or slow to boil.

I found this one on Amazon which is 1ltr, 1200w and testing at home shows it boils as quickly as my home kettle, the bonus is it’s actually a thermos too. Boiled up for coffee yesterday afternoon then found an hour later the remaining water was still hot enough for another (if you wanted). Just went to empty it this am (14hours later) and the water in it is still warm!

Not sure if that feature is actually valuable, but quick boil, 1ltr size and under 1500w makes it perfect for our van, and at £22.99 it’s a crazy bargain IMHO! The silver model is more expensive but may be from a different supplier.

Kinox Thermal Vacuum Kettle 1200W Quick Boil Electric Kettle, 1 Litre Stainless Steel Cordless, Auto Shut-Off & Boil-Dry Protection, Blue​

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
A couple of quick questions, one reviewer said it did not pour very well and you had to open the lid to get it to pour properly, have you found this to be the case ?
Our present kettle is a Russel Hobbs and was the quietest to boil that we could find, but now it sounds like a jet fighter with full afterburner taking off each morning.
Do you think your Thermos kettle is quieter to boil with it being double skinned compare to your other kettle ?

Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Have you tried descaling the element...apparently the increased noise is caused by small amounts of air in the scale which is expanding when heated......so I've read!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
A couple of quick questions, one reviewer said it did not pour very well and you had to open the lid to get it to pour properly, have you found this to be the case ?
Our present kettle is a Russel Hobbs and was the quietest to boil that we could find, but now it sounds like a jet fighter with full afterburner taking off each morning.
Do you think your Thermos kettle is quieter to boil with it being double skinned compare to your other kettle ?
No problem pouring it for us, our Russel Hobbs is like a fighter jet too it’s a 3kw fast boil though. This one is not silent for sure but less than the RH one.

I’m impressed with it so far!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not wishing to steal the ops thread, but as I don't use Amazon, I put it into Google and it came up at £17.99 at another place, don't know how good they are or postage costs.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not wishing to steal the ops thread, but as I don't use Amazon, I put it into Google and it came up at £17.99 at another place, don't know how good they are or postage costs.
£2.99 postage and pay to return if not any good free return with Amazon

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
They say P&P is £2.99 a click further but spend £2.01 more and you qualify for free P&P 👍🏻

There’s some important operating notes: -
WARNING – WHEN POURING, MAKE SURE THE SLIDE BUTTON IS SET TO “POUR” POSITION.

CAUTION – DO NOT BOIL THE KETTLE IN “KEEP WARM” MODE AS THIS WILL CAUSE THE KETTLE TO LEAK. YOU MUST BOIL THE KETTLE IN “POUR” MODE.

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL

WARNING – WHEN POURING, MAKE SURE THE SLIDE BUTTON IS SET TO “POUR” POSITION.​

CAUTION – DO NOT BOIL THE KETTLE IN “KEEP WARM” MODE AS THIS WILL CAUSE THE KETTLE TO LEAK. YOU MUST BOIL THE KETTLE IN “POUR” MODE.​

To many things to go wrong. Her indoors would break it in 5 minutes 🤣

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp

WARNING – WHEN POURING, MAKE SURE THE SLIDE BUTTON IS SET TO “POUR” POSITION.​

CAUTION – DO NOT BOIL THE KETTLE IN “KEEP WARM” MODE AS THIS WILL CAUSE THE KETTLE TO LEAK. YOU MUST BOIL THE KETTLE IN “POUR” MODE.​

To many things to go wrong. Her indoors would break it in 5 minutes 🤣
Suggest you don't let her touch anything electrical or operate machinery then :roflmto:
There is a switch on the top which says POUR in White Letters and KEEP WARM in RED letters - almost idiot proof - but hey it takes all sorts to make a world (y)

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I choose Amazon over eBay most of the time because I can return what I don't like, and in this case I wasn't convinced that the kettle wouldn't take an age to boil. It works for me - delivered in less than 24 hours!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I’ve been looking for a new electric kettle that I could use with my 1500w inverter. Most are either higher power, low quantity (<.5ltr) or slow to boil.

I found this one on Amazon which is 1ltr, 1200w and testing at home shows it boils as quickly as my home kettle, the bonus is it’s actually a thermos too. Boiled up for coffee yesterday afternoon then found an hour later the remaining water was still hot enough for another (if you wanted). Just went to empty it this am (14hours later) and the water in it is still warm!

Not sure if that feature is actually valuable, but quick boil, 1ltr size and under 1500w makes it perfect for our van, and at £22.99 it’s a crazy bargain IMHO! The silver model is more expensive but may be from a different supplier.

Kinox Thermal Vacuum Kettle 1200W Quick Boil Electric Kettle, 1 Litre Stainless Steel Cordless, Auto Shut-Off & Boil-Dry Protection, Blue​

1200 watts! I assume you have Lithium batteries otherwise it's going to kill them.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I choose Amazon over eBay most of the time because I can return what I don't like, and in this case I wasn't convinced that the kettle wouldn't take an age to boil. It works for me - delivered in less than 24 hours!
Yeah,as I said I wasn't trying to steal your thread but as I don't have prime I would have postage on top of your price.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1200 watts! I assume you have Lithium batteries otherwise it's going to kill them.
Yep - 200ah lithium, B2B and about to increase solar too. I was looking for a lower wattage kettle anyway for when on EHU in Spain / France on low amp sites, but also useful for road stops (lunch break etc) where I don't want to reset the gas (and at the chunnel when gas is off a couple of times a year).

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Slightly more expensive in France >Amazon product ASIN B08T6CL15Z

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Clever idea - it's good when one product can do two functions especially where space is limited.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Looks like a really good idea. I sometimes pour the extra boiling water from the kettle into a vacuum flask for use later. It takes much less energy to reboil hot water. This looks like it does both in one package. We don’t need a new kettle at the moment, but when we next do, we’ll look for something like this. Great spotting.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Looks like a really good idea. I sometimes pour the extra boiling water from the kettle into a vacuum flask for use later. It takes much less energy to reboil hot water. This looks like it does both in one package. We don’t need a new kettle at the moment, but when we next do, we’ll look for something like this. Great spotting.
We almost always boil a full kettle so we can fill a flask too - it's one of the best tips we've had from this forum (y) Makes a quick drink super speedy which can be essential when marshalling as can guarantee as soon as the kettle goes on someone arrives! Any unused hot water goes for washing up.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I sometimes pour the extra boiling water from the kettle into a vacuum flask for use later.
Dear Lord! I couldn't be ars*d with doing that.

All of my kettle heated water is used for mugs of hot drinks and I know quite accurately how much water to put in so it's easy not to boil more than is needed at the time.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Do you have anything against boiling water with a simple kettle on the gas? We hardly ever use hookup and although we carry a small electric kettle for emergencies, which I test once a year, just in case, and to clean it!

We too just boil enough water for what we need and also couldn't be bothered with decanting into a vacuum flask. We prefer our hot drinks with fresh boiling water and reboiled tastes flat.

But each to his/her own of course.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We set off from home with a flask of boiling water so that when we stop it doesn’t take long to make a cuppa. We also use any spare water from the kettle, pop it into the flask for later. Being tight Yorkshire souls we have a large Le Creuset kettle at home, In winter it sits on top of the wood burner so we always have water ready for a cup of tea, or to wash the pots.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We set off from home with a flask of boiling water so that when we stop it doesn’t take long to make a cuppa. We also use any spare water from the kettle, pop it into the flask for later. Being tight Yorkshire souls we have a large Le Creuset kettle at home, In winter it sits on top of the wood burner so we always have water ready for a cup of tea, or to wash the pots.
We’re not tight in Yorkshire, just careful, not like them tight souls over t’pennines eh Howard H

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
But is heaing more water than you need saving pennies?
Like TerryL I put in enough for water for 2 hot drinks.
The result is less time to get boiling water. Saving gas 👍🏻

I don’t think I’m a coffee snob but fresh water is better then stale hot water from a thermal flask or tepid water that needs reheating. 🤪

Edit: out of scope in this discussion is how soft water would change my thoughts on using a thermal flask, etc.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
But is heaing more water than you need saving pennies?
Like TerryL I put in enough for water for 2 hot drinks.
The result is less time to get boiling water. Saving gas 👍🏻

I don’t think I’m a coffee snob but fresh water is better then stale hot water from a thermal flask or tepid water that needs reheating. 🤪

Edit: out of scope in this discussion is how soft water would change my thoughts on using a thermal flask, etc.
Nowt to do with saving pennies, it just that when travelling I don't want to waste time sitting in a pull in or services waiting for the kettle to boil. Pulling into a nice Aire somewhere in France is a different matter.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Nowt to do with saving pennies, it just that when travelling I don't want to waste time sitting in a pull in or services waiting for the kettle to boil. Pulling into a nice Aire somewhere in France is a different matter.
Sorry. I misunderstood the Yorkshire reference ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back