Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
So we've just started our new journey on the Wild Atlantic Way , and I've just stopped to refill up with water , once done I noticed a problem with the lockable filler cap.
No matter what way you turn the key once done when you turn the cap anti clockwise it will open ( as in not spin around freely without unlocking it )
But yet when you turn the cap clockwise it will spin or lock depending on which way the key is turned.
Any idea's , atm I am able to fit the cap ok.. but it just means any passer by could steal the cap / or pollute the water...

Attachments

• 20161104_143534.jpg
    20161104_143534.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20161104_143602.jpg
    20161104_143602.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 42

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I would always put my cap on by turning clockwise and then hold in this position and insert and then turn the key clockwise to lock.
Your post implies that it does lock when you do this, in which case there should be no problem?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have you upset someone so much that they'd want to pollute your water? You're lucky it's unlocked, our's got mucked up when it was locked. We now leave ours unlocked.

Joe

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I would always put my cap on by turning clockwise and then hold in this position and insert and then turn the key clockwise to lock.
Your post implies that it does lock when you do this, in which case there should be no problem?
I,m pretty sure that I'm locking it as normal, except when it's locked it's meant to spin when twisted ( turned anti clockwise ) but instead it turns and opens .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you upset someone so much that they'd want to pollute your water? You're lucky it's unlocked, our's got mucked up when it was locked. We now leave ours unlocked.

Joe
Had that problem with the same type of cap on my diesel filler, when I finally got it off, soaked it in hot water which softened the seals and made it easier to take apart, cleaned it up reassembled it it's been OK for a couple of years now.

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
I had this problem twice with caps on a brand new E560 a few years ago.
Dealer replaced them. I think they are about £15 off fleabay.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Another vote for placing the filler cap in a jug of boiling water - worked every time for me

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I used vaseline on mine. Before I did it was impossible to remove , just clicked & jumped over the pawls.

You should turn key anti clockwise until it stops to unlock . then with two hands push in cap & rotate anti-clockwise to unlock. When locking you have to make sure the key is still in unlock position & then line up the three locks push in with both hands & rotate clock wise to the lock position, Then when you turn key clockwise to the locked position & remove the cap will rotate in both directions whilst remaining locked.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I just tried "hot" water there and left it to soak in it for 3-4 mins and it never worked.
So should it be boiling water " was frightened of melting/ distorting the cap " and how long should I soak it for.. Failing it working next try how can I dismantle it ?????
As I don't want to waste money on a new one and also have a different key

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Cheers how long for ?
Long enough for the heat to travel through the plastic outer casing to the internal mechanism
I'd submerge in boiling water and leave for 5 mins
Our Bessie water cap one had the same issue a number of times and this solution worked every time
Worse case scenario you get a replacement cap, but this way you get to keep the one you have, using the standard key

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Long enough for the heat to travel through the plastic outer casing to the internal mechanism
I'd submerge in boiling water and leave for 5 mins
Our Bessie water cap one had the same issue a number of times and this solution worked every time
Worse case scenario you get a replacement cap, but this way you get to keep the one you have, using the standard key
Thanks that's is what I would rather do to keep the same key. :)

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I first fixed ours by grinding some graphite from the end of a pencil and blowing into the works of the lock - worked OK. I then bought a bottle of proper graphite dust and it's the right stuff for all locks. Lubricates without attracting dust and dirt.

colmorangie

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Hope you get your filler fixed, however much more interested in what, where, how long the wild Atlantic way is ? Start and finish points pretty please.......(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hope you get your filler fixed, however much more interested in what, where, how long the wild Atlantic way is ? Start and finish points pretty please.......(y)
Highlight "wild atlantic way " , right click & then click on "search google for ..." & all will be revealed

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I will try the boiling water method this morning after I can be arsed to get out of bed & that rain and wind outside goes away :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Had same problem - left cap in boiling water
Fixed
Hope this works for yours?
We put ours in boiling water and it melted! A cheaper version didn't work had to get a Hobby one at huge amount!

Don't use boiling water!!!

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
I can't help with the cap problem other to say you are in Ireland and it's a very honest country I would be amazed if anyone tampered with your water.
I'm not sure if you are doing north to south or south to north either way I hope you have a great time. Have you noticed how bright the stars are yet? If you haven't already done the Clare bit can I recommend the drive between Kilkee and loop head lighthouse please do look up the bridges of Ross and visit, from the Carpark follow the footpath for 5 minutes it an amazing sight.
Wild camping near me can I suggest you think about Carrigholt or on the pier in Doonbeg, near my campsite or on the pier between seafield and quilty.
Please the cliffs of Moher are always busy and the Carpark charges €6 per person! Get you passenger to get out of your MH at the entrance pay the €6 and the passenger can then walk in for free. Doolin is a tiny village but incredibly busy.
Enjoy your travels.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I can't help with the cap problem other to say you are in Ireland and it's a very honest country I would be amazed if anyone tampered with your water.

That part was a joke , as i live in ireland and know how friendly most of the people both sides of the border are :) also we only drink bottled water in the Mh as it's in the fridge and nice n cool :D
Thanks for the heads up on where to make sure and see :)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We bought a new cap for our E560 years ago, got fed up arsing about with the original cap.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Tip for you.. When you do the Ring of kerry, go anti-clockwise .. We was told this by a coach driver..
In all honesty I still have no idea why.. other than there was a hardly any traffic on our side of the road while tother side was often chocka !
I got it wrong bl**dy nightmare.:D

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Tip for you.. When you do the Ring of kerry, go anti-clockwise .. We was told this by a coach driver..
In all honesty I still have no idea why.. other than there was a hardly any traffic on our side of the road while tother side was often chocka !
It's so you are going in the same direction as the coaches therefore not coming to them face to face.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back