New ipad has no GPS!! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I use TomTom Go on my ipad mini but it was getting old and would no longer update to the latest operating software so many of my apps were not working. Had some vouchers so decided to treat myself & update to the latest ipad mini and purchased it last November. All was well & happy with it until last weekend when I wanted to use it as a sat nav - google maps,Waze or TomTom Go - it kept telling me I had no GPS. I could get GPS on my Samsung phone which I had to use to navigate with. When I got home I researched it on the web and found that Apple do not install GPS on WIFI only ipads anymore, if you want GPS you have to buy a sim enabled model at a much higher cost - something I didn't realise this when I bought mine!! Luckily I can still use old ipad mini for sat nav but not happy.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I use TomTom Go on my ipad mini but it was getting old and would no longer update to the latest operating software so many of my apps were not working. Had some vouchers so decided to treat myself & update to the latest ipad mini and purchased it last November. All was well & happy with it until last weekend when I wanted to use it as a sat nav - google maps,Waze or TomTom Go - it kept telling me I had no GPS. I could get GPS on my Samsung phone which I had to use to navigate with. When I got home I researched it on the web and found that Apple do not install GPS on WIFI only ipads anymore, if you want GPS you have to buy a sim enabled model at a much higher cost - something I didn't realise this when I bought mine!! Luckily I can still use old ipad mini for sat nav but not happy.
Unfortunately they never had GPS on Wi-Fi only iPads.......

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Just use the old i pad for navigating in the van

Use the new one for motorhomefun

Ive 3 i pads that dont update to latest settings
Grandaughters use 2
The other was my sat nag till the new car came with it fitted

Simples

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Did your old iPad have a SIM card...?

With your new iPad, tether it to your phone or mifi...

I sometimes do that on google maps and navigate in satellite view which shows up well...

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Wow! I thought apple was supposed to be premium kit. I suppose scrimping on a 10p chip x 2 million equals boosted profits. :cautious:

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I have warned of this several times before in threads about using iPads as sat- navs.
They do have an internal compas and can calculate an approximate position without the GPS but are not as accurate.
I guess it’s just another way of getting you to spend an extra 100 quid.

Richard.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Wifi iPads have never had gps same as anything apple the more you pay the more you get

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I am generally an Apple fan but this particular trick of only intalling the gps chip with sim enabled iPads has always annoyed me. I made the same mistake with my first iPad mini but fortunately it had a Bluetooth fault and John Lewis allowed me to upgrade when they replaced it.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
No they don’t but Garmin make a compatible Bluetooth one which I had to buy after making the same mistake.:cry:

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Did your old iPad have a SIM card...?

With your new iPad, tether it to your phone or mifi...

I sometimes do that on google maps and navigate in satellite view which shows up well...

I'm going to check when I get home - I inherited the old mini ipad from my son and just assumed that it didn't have a sim option, it may well have as he was quite a techy and would have probably got the best there was in the day. I connected it to my phone via tethering but was not good enough to use as sat nav. We have a truck nav for the van but I like to plan routes & follow it (silently) whilst we are traveling - back to using the old mini ipad then. Just annoying that the gps option was not made clear out when purchased.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I believe, that possibly, maybe, might, the iPad wifi only tries to use wifi hotspots to give you a rough location, but nowhere near accurate.
As you drive and obviously change your location, the pad keeps trying find a new hotspot, and by the time it's found three to triangulate with, you've gone and moved again.
What you do is, drive one hundred yards, stop and wait a couple of minutes for pad catch up, the repeat for the rest of the journey. Best you avoid motorways or yellow lines.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Cheap android tablet with GPS and keep the iPad for what it's best at
Posing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun