Free Member
Jul 5, 2017
high wycombe
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
im a newbie
hi I'm looking to buy a motorhome as I race jetskis ,problem I have is I have a huge box trailer and need a motorhome that can tow about 2500kg ,any ideas on which ones can as in style,chassis like Iveco sprinter ect ,any help I will be greatful as pulling my hair out here

many thanks carl

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi Carl and welcome to the forum.
I can't help with your question but I'm sure someone who can will be along soon.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've towed a 2.4t box trailer with a FWD Fiat, but a rear wheel drive motor would have been better. You'll find that 2.5t will put you well over or take you to the very top of the train-weight for a lot of motorhomes. Motorhomes on the bigger Mercs and Ivecos are normally more expensive but will cope with the trailer weight. You will find plenty of the cheaper fiat conversions too. It's a matter of finding them in your price bracket and then looking at the figures. If you get stuck then shout up here, someone here will know the weights of any van you find (y). Best of luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wrcpulsar

Free Member
Jul 5, 2017
high wycombe
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
im a newbie
hi guys ,ive been to see a few including a nice adria izola but they all seem to be 3500kg and 5500kg gtw so that only gives me 2000kg towing hence I thought id seek some advice on here if people know certain motorhomes that can tow more its very frustrating not know which ones will work lol

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
..... they all seem to be 3500kg and 5500kg gtw so that only gives me 2000kg towing ......

It was my understanding (gleaned from a discussion with a police officer) that GTW - GVW is not NECESSARILY your max towing weight.

You must NOT exceed either of these weights. Providided that you don't exceed individual axle limits, you may distribute the weight you carry how you see fit.

In other words, you could run your vehicle at 3 tonnes and tow 2.5 tonnes and remain within your 5.5 tonnes GTW.

Ian

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It was my understanding (gleaned from a discussion with a police officer) that GTW - GVW is not NECESSARILY your max towing weight.

You must NOT exceed either of these weights. Providided that you don't exceed individual axle limits, you may distribute the weight you carry how you see fit.

In other words, you could run your vehicle at 3 tonnes and tow 2.5 tonnes and remain within your 5.5 tonnes GTW.

Ian
I have been told the exact opposite of that but it was in relation to a commercial vehicle so could be different, or just wrong.

Martin

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Carl

We have an IVECO based motorhome on 6000kg chassis with towing limit of 3000kg so thats 9000kg that great BUT then you have to check what your licence allows C1+E says gross train of 8250kg, my understanding is that in our case GVW applies at 6000kg so actually only leaves 2250kg for a trailer, possibly you could downplay the chassis to 5500kg and the get 2750kg on the trailer.

EDIT then I have just read this,:LOL:

Category C1+E
A subcategory of C+E which includes medium-sized goods vehicles 3.5 to 7.5 tonnes MAM and allows trailers over 750kg MAM to be towed. The combination of vehicle and trailer must not exceed 12 tonnes MAM, and the laden weight of the trailer must not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle. The minimum age required to drive these vehicles is 21.

EDIT again

C1 with C1E entitles you to drive a vehicle with MAM up to 7,500kg and tow a caravan/trailer where the combined MAM of tow vehicle and trailer does not exceed 8,250kg and the trailer MAM does not exceed the unladen weight of the vehicle.

The category C1E(107) category shown on your licence is not the same as the category C1E shown on the current DVLA list of entitlements. The suffix 107 indicates your entitlement has a combined MAM limited to 8,250kg not 12,000kg as a specific test has not been passed.

OK I have checked my licence and have C1+E 107 so 8250kg gross train applies and what I said at the start would appear to be correct.

Martin

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The plated weights are the only thing that you can be assessed (weighed) against.

The only weights displayed on the plate are:

MGW
Front axle weight
Rear axle(s) weight
Maximum Train Weight

There is no display of maximum towing weight - that appears separately on the trailer.

Ian

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The plated weights are the only thing that you can be assessed (weighed) against.

The only weights displayed on the plate are:

MGW
Front axle weight
Rear axle(s) weight
Maximum Train Weight

There is no display of maximum towing weight - that appears separately on the trailer.

Ian

OK its the Camping and Caravan Club but this is my understanding.

Gross trainweight (GTW)

is the maximum weight a vehicle can move on the road as stated by the manufacturer. It includes the vehicle’s own maximum loaded weight (MAM) and the weight of a trailer and load. Sometimes referred to as Gross Train Mass (GTM)

Martin

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
OK its the Camping and Caravan Club but this is my understanding.

Gross trainweight (GTW)

is the maximum weight a vehicle can move on the road as stated by the manufacturer. It includes the vehicle’s own maximum loaded weight (MAM) and the weight of a trailer and load. Sometimes referred to as Gross Train Mass (GTM)

Martin

I don't believe that the above contradicts my stated understanding?

Ian

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't believe that the above contradicts my stated understanding?

Ian

The more I read on this the more confused I am, it appears to me that it is the actual vehicle mass plus actual trailer mass that makes up the max combined mass or GTW (so yes you could borrow some van payload onto the trailer load) but for licencing restriction it appears to be the result of adding the vehicle maximum MAM plus the trailer maximum plating.

Confused.com

Martin

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
@funflair , I've not looked into the details of the licensing requirements so can't really comment other than to say there is no reason why they should be linked to how overloading issues are assessed.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@funflair , I've not looked into the details of the licensing requirements so can't really comment other than to say there is no reason why they should be linked to how overloading issues are assessed.
OK I'm just saying its not just the legality of the vehicle combination but the licence could be a limiting factor. For example lots of big MH on IVECO chassis are plated at 7200kg or even 7495kg with up to 2000kg of payload thats OK if you can borrow some payload onto a trailer but falls down if your licence allows maximum train of 8250 and if the work it out as vehicle MAM plus trailer MAM, its not joined up thinking.

Martin

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
hi I'm looking to buy a motorhome as I race jetskis ,problem I have is I have a huge box trailer and need a motorhome that can tow about 2500kg ,any ideas on which ones can as in style,chassis like Iveco sprinter ect ,any help I will be greatful as pulling my hair out here

many thanks carl
As you say that the trailer all up weight is about 2500kg, is it time to maybe re-think the trailer and contents to reduce the weight.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i can state with absolute certainty that if DVSA pull you over they will check the plate on the vehicle for MAM and train weight and the MAM of the trailer to ascertain train weight compliance. then they will weigh the motorhome and trailer

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
My Ifor Williams dealer told me its changed and they will take the actual weight of a trailer not the plated weight

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
i can state with absolute certainty that if DVSA pull you over they will check the plate on the vehicle for MAM and train weight and the MAM of the trailer to ascertain train weight compliance. then they will weigh the motorhome and trailer
And what rule will they use to ascertain compliance?

Martin

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
From the ifor Williams website, I presume then that this counts for a C1 vehicle
My vehicle has a maximum towing weight of 1500kg and my trailer has a maximum gross weight of 2000kg. Can I still tow this trailer?

Yes, as long as the unladen weight of the trailer you are towing combined with the trailer load does not exceed 1500kg, then you can tow this trailer with your vehicle.

There is no legal requirement to downrate the plate on your trailer.

Drivers must also possess the appropriate driving licence with B+E category for towing this particular trailer combination as well as adhering to tachograph rules, if applicable.

Upvote 0

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
There seems confusion on the two different offences .

A Construction and Use offence were the vehicle is over loaded is measured by its actual weight against the plated weight and usually requires a visit to a weighbridge and the ticket used as evidence .

A driving licence offence is measured by Mam or maximum plated weight and is checked at the roadside without needing to weigh the vehicle and checked with the licence entitlement .

A PVC at 3500 kg and a 3500 kg towing limit would be one way and on a B+E category . No worries if over 70 then .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back