New Geriatric on the Block (1 Viewer)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Thanks to Jim for the welcome!

We're Steve [me] & Elaine, hoping to purchase a new motorhome whilst there's still stock available in UK. We'll be moving from about 2 years caravan experience [Gobur Folder [still owned] then a 'vintage' 2 berth Swift [still owned] that is about 16 years old.

We have no knowledge of motorhomes, apart from watching wistfully as they start their packdown long after us and then depart gracefully about an hour before we get the caravan ready to go.

We are looking at an unregistered Sunlight T60 Active so that we can carry 2 bikes in the garage and can use a wind out canopy instead of an awning etc, to 'travel light' but in a degree of comfort in our dotage. We found a Practical Motorhome Review of the 2017Sunlight that described it as a 'Budget model for the less well heeled' which was strangely comforting.

We hope to use the Sunlight to travel to France [+ Spain for Winter Sun] for 6-8 weeks to spend lazy days on quiet sites, cycling for shopping and local sightseeing and getting fit again. The simple life in comfort, but not surrounded by bling and gizmos galore. We use a Remoska for self catering to cope with my picky eating/dietary regime aftr a heart attack in Spain in January 2020.

We would love to hear from anyone who has advice on what to do/not to do, and especially from anyone who has used a T60. We need to drain our lake of ignorance before we can get a pool of knowledge. 'Ignorance on wheels' is our starting point.

Elaine is more reserved than me, but neither of us take life seriously unless we are obliged to do so.

Cheers.

Steve & Elaine

P.S. We will be subscribing

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Great first post, :pink: can't hep with your query, but we bought an 'entry level' van for our first and only changed it after nearly 5 years because we, (well John) A Wanted to carry a motorbike and B) we didn't really need 6 berths any more also wanted some storage accessed from the outside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Welcome and thank you for your informative introduction.
I am not familiar with Sunlight motorhomes although I have seen a few on our roads in New Zealand. I'm sure people on here will be quick to come forward with their opinions if you ask.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Hi and welcome to the fun
I'm going for my standard answer on this dort of query and that us trying renting something with the same layout before you spend your hard earned cash to make sure it is what you expect it to be

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Hi & welcome to the fun , As I’m sure you already know the sunlight is a budget van , out the same stable as deathless , I have owned 2 New deathless trend MH’S , the quality was good but quality control was not so good BUT I think I was just unlucky 🤕 , it wouldn’t stop me buying another one

illustration hello GIF by Kochstrasse™

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren! (y)
(Whichever ‘van you choose, I bet you change it within a couple of years....!;))

OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Welcome from Ciren! (y)
(Whichever ‘van you choose, I bet you change it within a couple of years....!;))
No chance! [gulp]. Cost + geriatric status should mean that I'll be going before the Sunlight. Elaine already has an agreement with the Senior Refuse Attendant at the French Recycling Centre nearest to our hovel to have me committed to Skip 9 'Dechets Ultimes' stuff that absolutely cannot go anywhere but Landfill', so If I make a quick mod to the transverse bed in the m/h, Elaine can also save on a hearse and put the money towards the outstanding loan ...:rolleyes: And, being a canny Scot, she will :giggle:

Steve

OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Thanks. My experience is that money doesn't buy happiness, it pays for the mistakes that are acknowledged after the event [Triumph Thunderbird T6 1955, Suzuki Volusia 800, Gobur Folding Caravan, etc]. Can't really comment on beer, but I dohave other vices! :rolleyes: The moment when my right hip seized as I was mounting the Triumph and shouting 'Forget me, catch the bloody bike' will stay with me for ever ... Two new hips later ...

Steve

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
There are five important things to look out for when choosing a motorhome. The heart should rule on the first three, i.e. layout, layout and layout. And the head should rule on the last two, payload and payload. ::bigsmile: And, when it comes to motorhomes, many ex-caravanners try to replicate the layout of their caravan, whereas the motorhome will be probably be used in a different way.

Seriously, the perceived wisdom is that you only get the choice right with your third motorhome. So many people, including me, advise that you buy a relatively cheap second hand one at first to get the hang of it, as you will not lose much money when you sell it on. That is what we did 8 years ago. It taught us what we wanted and did not want. Put that to good use 5 years ago and bought the new one we remain very happy with. So we were lucky in only needing two goes to get it right.

The alternative advice is to hire one that has a similar layout to that you think you want and see if you can live with it in use. Yes it will cost money, but it will probably save a lot more if you get your choice wrong.

At the moment the price of motorhomes have shot up because Covid has put people off flying. All the more reason to buy a cheaper second hand one I think.

OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Thank you to everyone who has extended such a warm welcome to the Forum, and for the advice on buying a m/home! I can't reply to individual messages until I get the subscriptions sorted out, but thanks to ambulancekidd for the campsite & mozzie tips. I have to keep in with th likes of him, because I do have a season ticket for our local hospital, The Victoria in Kirkcaldy who have done my hip replacements, pulmonary embolisms, slipped disc and a complete mental blackout, where I lost all sense of what was happening to me, where I was etc.

That was literally 5 hours of my life that I will never get back [took that long to get my brain and mouth back in alignment ...] :rolleyes:

Late replying to the welcome messages because we think we might have sold Gobby the Gobur, so spent late morning to mid-afternoon cleaning all the debris that has built up since Gobby was locked away 15 months or so ago.

Any road up, that's today's excuse, others will follow in quick order. Thanks again; time to Sally Forth [but only at weekends] and pay the subs before Elaine and I are disconnected.

Steve

OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Sally Forth, didn't know she was a member :groan:
She fancies Colin Firth, and he her. Firth of Forth style of thing ... We live about 100 metres from the Firth of Forth, and the wind blows straight from the sea, under our front door and chops the ankles off. Lovely scenery, but Pure Dead Baltic today!

That's our subs paid, so I soon be able to talk even more :think:

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back