new generation sky tv in motorhome (1 Viewer)

Daveled

Free Member
Feb 21, 2013
Wigan
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 year
Hi, this has probably been asked a thousand times before but I am considering switching to sky at home, with the new generation of sky boxes is it as easy as taking the box/ unit with you?
NB I will be using Snipe 2 as the dish.
Thanks

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Best place to ask I would think would be SKY themselves

Think the Q boxes want satalite feed and wifi

Personally my daughter has had a lot of probs with her
Q box multi room

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Sky Q uses a different LNB to the standard one so needs changing which might be a problem on some systems .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We were recently going to change when we returned to sky, but because of the issue with the LNB, we kept our old style sky box in the MH that @eddievanbitz fitted for us and a new box at home, but not the Q box as these will not work together. Now, if we want "Sky" we just swap the card from home to MH. - too tight to pay for multi room. If we just want "TV" or radio, we use the SatFi controller that came with the sat system as this saves the inverter needing to be switched on.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've been through this quite thoroughly, with some help from Eddie, and currently there is no practical way of using Sky Q with an automatic dish.

The wideband LNB you can buy is supposed to be intelligent and be able to detect whether conventional or Sky Q boxes are connected and provide the correct signal. The problem is that none of the satellite suppliers are willing to say that their satellite controllers will work with this LNB and won't even say that no damage will be done if someone tries it.

If you really feel you can't live without Sky in your motorhome there are two options:

Use the SkyGo app but you'll obviously need a decent internet signal and you can't send it to an external display if you use a mobile device so a proper laptop is a better bet. It won't work outside the UK and if you're using mobile data be aware of how much data you're using. This is the method we're using at the moment as my current phone contract gives me a ridiculous amount of data.

Alternatively you could get a free standing satellite dish on a tripod and change the LNB to the wide band type that Sky Q uses. The Sky Q box only has limited functionality if it's not connected to the internet so don't expect to be able to do all the things you can do at home. I might look at doing this the next time we do a long foreign trip.

OP
OP
Daveled

Daveled

Free Member
Feb 21, 2013
Wigan
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 year
Thanks everyone for your replies.

OP
OP
Daveled

Daveled

Free Member
Feb 21, 2013
Wigan
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 year
As I am no expert in this (obviously) does the new skybox have a card that I can take out as Zigisla's reply ? I have a previous gen skybox that I could use in the MH

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've been through this quite thoroughly, with some help from Eddie, and currently there is no practical way of using Sky Q with an automatic dish.

The wideband LNB you can buy is supposed to be intelligent and be able to detect whether conventional or Sky Q boxes are connected and provide the correct signal. The problem is that none of the satellite suppliers are willing to say that their satellite controllers will work with this LNB and won't even say that no damage will be done if someone tries it.

If you really feel you can't live without Sky in your motorhome there are two options:

Use the SkyGo app but you'll obviously need a decent internet signal and you can't send it to an external display if you use a mobile device so a proper laptop is a better bet. It won't work outside the UK and if you're using mobile data be aware of how much data you're using. This is the method we're using at the moment as my current phone contract gives me a ridiculous amount of data.

Alternatively you could get a free standing satellite dish on a tripod and change the LNB to the wide band type that Sky Q uses. The Sky Q box only has limited functionality if it's not connected to the internet so don't expect to be able to do all the things you can do at home. I might look at doing this the next time we do a long foreign trip.
I'm not considering this option because FTA is fine in the MH but wouldn't an auto dish (not dome) accept a second LNB with a feed just to the Sky box?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm not considering this option because FTA is fine in the MH but wouldn't an auto dish (not dome) accept a second LNB with a feed just to the Sky box?

I suppose so if it were possible to fit an additional LNB to without it interfering with the first one.

@eddievanbitz what do you think?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
As I am no expert in this (obviously) does the new skybox have a card that I can take out as Zigisla's reply ? I have a previous gen skybox that I could use in the MH
When we looked into this, the Sky rep - biased opinion maybe,:unsure: said that the cards are not compatible with old style boxes. That's why we didn't change to the Q box. We didn't look any further into it as we got a new "old style" box and already had our original, which is now in the MH. @eddievanbitz fitted a twin LNB dome, so we still have the record and watch another programme feature available to our single TV point.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I suppose so if it were possible to fit an additional LNB to without it interfering with the first one.

@eddievanbitz what do you think?
Anything is possible. If you have a twin LNB set up, you could utilise one LNB feed of the standard LNB and the other for the SkyQ It would mean though single channel viewing on each box.

Other than that additional wires would have to be added, which would mean stripping the whole thing down and risking the long term performance, given that the roof unit rotates through 370 degrees, then rotates the other way meaning that there is some "Flex" on the cable, adding a couple of more coaxial cables through the centre pivot tube would potentially cause

The Alden unit you have for example @NickNic has a lifetime warranty which would be void

So anything is possible, and if anyone would like to buy a new Alden or Oyster unit from us, and give us carte blanche to experiment on it, happy to see it chucked in a skip if it doesn't work drop me a line lol

The problem we have is that Sky is in essence a UK service for about 11 million people that live in houses. The percentage of people that have motorhomes and want SkyQ is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. If every one in the World wanted a mobile automatic system that used SkyQ the manufacturers would soon produce a product that would suit. We can't even say if everyone in Europe wanted SkyQ, nor can we say everyone in the UK

Long term everyone will watch TV over the internet lol so it won't matter

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Anything is possible. If you have a twin LNB set up, you could utilise one LNB feed of the standard LNB and the other for the SkyQ It would mean though single channel viewing on each box.

Other than that additional wires would have to be added, which would mean stripping the whole thing down and risking the long term performance, given that the roof unit rotates through 370 degrees, then rotates the other way meaning that there is some "Flex" on the cable, adding a couple of more coaxial cables through the centre pivot tube would potentially cause

The Alden unit you have for example @NickNic has a lifetime warranty which would be void

So anything is possible, and if anyone would like to buy a new Alden or Oyster unit from us, and give us carte blanche to experiment on it, happy to see it chucked in a skip if it doesn't work drop me a line lol

The problem we have is that Sky is in essence a UK service for about 11 million people that live in houses. The percentage of people that have motorhomes and want SkyQ is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. If every one in the World wanted a mobile automatic system that used SkyQ the manufacturers would soon produce a product that would suit. We can't even say if everyone in Europe wanted SkyQ, nor can we say everyone in the UK

Let's call that a "no not really" shall we? (y):D2

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
It is also how long Sky will continue with a Sat system as they have stopped Sat boxes and Sky Q is a transition to a internet system being launched next year .

Mar 1, 2015
stevenage
Funster No
MH
rapido 709f
Exp
since1990
The sky cards in sky q boxes will work in hd+ boxes.I have a q box in the house and a hd+ box in the MH.When i go away i go online and pair the card to the hd+box and when i return i pair it back again.Its a simple procedure just google"pairing sky card to hd+ box" and all the info is there.

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990

Or just put a sky Q hybrid LNB (£30 from eBay) on your dish this will work with the Q box and your hd box

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Or just put a sky Q hybrid LNB (£30 from eBay) on your dish this will work with the Q box and your hd box

You've missed the main point.

Nobody, including the manufacturers, knows what that would do to the SSC on an automatic system and that's a £500 bit of electronics so nobody is that keen to try it and see what happens.

If you fancy giving it a go I'll pay for the LNB as long as we can use your system as the guinea pig (y)

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
You've missed the main point.

Nobody, including the manufacturers, knows what that would do to the SSC on an automatic system and that's a £500 bit of electronics so nobody is that keen to try it and see what happens.

If you fancy giving it a go I'll pay for the LNB as long as we can use your system as the guinea pig (y)

No different than your post.

The hybrid is two lnb' in one. the SSC would work on the normal signal from the lnb once locked on the sky Q would work and a normal satellite receiver would work.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
the SSC would work on the normal signal from the lnb

I'm glad you're so confident.

Alden in particular aren't.

I take it your confidence is based on you being an electronics engineer and being intimately involved in the design of the devices in question?

If not you'll have to forgive me for not risking my lifetime Alden warranty on your say so, unless of course you'd be prepared to back up your confidence by warranting the cost of a replacement SSC if I try it and you're wrong? (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
An LNB is an LNB. I appreciate the point about the warranty and I'd expect Alden to be less than enthusiastic. However the LNB is connected via a co-ax over which it delivers an RF output and over which simple dc signals and a power supply are piggy-backed. The radio frequency is the only variable and whatever it is will do no harm to existing receiver or dish control electronics.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back