:LOL: (n)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
25 years ago when I was having to drive round finding house addresses all day with maps and garbled directions my company wouldn’t provide us with sat navs that would have made life so much easier for us (and more productive) because they were £1500 for the most basic model. How times change.

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
The interface or specification doesn’t seem any different to the 2 previous models?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I know some people swear by Garmin devices but I think these are way overpriced.The selling point is obviously the ability to imput vehicle dimensions but this is far from fool proof in my experience.Within a mile of where I live my 380 camper tried to send me down a lane hardly wide enough for a car and over a bridge with a 3 ton weight limit.And yes I did correctly put my 3.8 ton van dimensions in correctly.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Looking at the reviews and Garmin's website the main change is portrait as well as landscape display. Bigger screen = more info clutter to distract you while driving. Less is more in my opinion.

One feature I find useful that has been removed is free traffic info via the combined power lead/aerial on previous models. You would need to pair this satnav to a smartphone after having installed the Garmin Drive app. That will link (hopefully) to a third party live traffic service although that may not be free, possibly a paid subscription.

Yes, it does look rather pricey.

7" is quite fulfilling, as the actress said to the bishop.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just ordered a replacement Chinese cheapo last night. The last one lasted about 4 years so unless one of these is a lot better it would have to last 36 years to be worth it and the other includes a basic reversing camera!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Just ordered a replacement Chinese cheapo last night. The last one lasted about 4 years so unless one of these is a lot better it would have to last 36 years to be worth it and the other includes a basic reversing camera!

Would you please post details of the Chinese sat nav, would be good to have a look at that.
Thanks.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Would you please post details of the Chinese sat nav, would be good to have a look at that.
Thanks.
There's loads of them I ordered an xgody 7" . It's a bit pot luck I think but they're around the£50-55 mark. They're a bit clunky to use some like them some hate them!

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
If you think thats expensive try buying one for a BMW bike,

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Got a Nav6 on my XR, its just an older model Garmin.

Re the Camper, just bought the 780 model, looks okay to me, bought it 2nd hand but in unregistered, as new condition for £170 from CeX.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
s-l1600.jpg

£56.78

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Just upgraded from a Nozatec 7" to an Xgody 9", as in Langtoftlad's pic above. Haven't used it on the road yet but have updated the mapping and transferred all the camping POIs from the Nozatec. First impressions are that the larger screen is brighter and the interface is much quicker to react than the Nozatec. Updating is a manual exercise and it helps if you're confident with transferring folders and files on the PC. Looking promising...

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Found the 890 a bit expensive indeed. Just got the 780, doesn't seem to be much functional differences. Used the 78° a few days now, seems very good indeed!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I like the Garmin Camper. It's a lot more than just a Sat Nav and some thought has gone into the design and specification. The only let down IMO and its a big one is the routing! At times its absolutly shite. Easily resolved though by viewing the route after entering destination and correcting obvious errors.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I like the Garmin Camper. It's a lot more than just a Sat Nav and some thought has gone into the design and specification. The only let down IMO and its a big one is the routing! At times its absolutly shite. Easily resolved though by viewing the route after entering destination and correcting obvious errors.
I had one, but needed a smaller device so swooped it out for TT. The garmin drove me potty with its inability to plot a route that was for a larger vehicle even with the sizes correctly inputted. But for me the killer was that when it was wrong it meant stopping and physically correcting the parameters. The TT is by no means perfect but I can cope with it and it's more user friendl,y.

they are in my view now far to clever and lack some of the simplicity of older ones

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
With Garmin units it's so much easier to create your own routes and load them into your satnav, why would you blindly follow any directions not knowing where you are going?

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
So Far I find the routing pretty good. As already mentioned elsewhere, Garmin has Basecamp, which allows to file and organise favorites, routes followed during past travels, plan trips, etc... All those are shared between all the Garmin devices one has, so I can now transfer favourites I created with my eTrex 20 to my Camper 780. No competitor has anything similar.

I also find that the Garmin always displays clearly what to do, which is more than can be said of Google Maps. The way Garmin displays the motorways exits is incredibly faithful to reality, for example.

Anyway, time will ell if the good first impressions are confirmed.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
We’re off on an around Scotland trip tomorrow, including Mull, Skye, Orkney and hopefully Shetland.
Booked some camp sites but just see how we go in general

Back down around coast to Newcastle...

Sat Nav.... none...

I do use them but only in places I don’t know to find streets etc, The Hotel in Naples last year was well hidden, but otherwise I use experience (tomorrows camp site is Scotch corner, TL onto A66 past the old truck stop 3rd left, site comes up on left.

£480 to distract me? Think not

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
With Garmin units it's so much easier to create your own routes and load them into your satnav, why would you blindly follow any directions not knowing where you are going?
That’s exactly why I buy Garmin units, for motorbike and Motorhome, I wouldn’t trust any directions any sat nav sent me on. Only useful if you can program your own route exactly which roads you want to go down using an up to date map of Europe, and then transfer that route to the sat nav so you know it is telling you to go down the roads that you selected.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've got a 760 Camper and use it in conjunction with BaseCamp.
I know it has voice command option but never used it. Think the later versions also have same. Has anybody else used it and, if so, what's it like?:unsure:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I know it has voice command option but never used it. Think the later versions also have same. Has anybody else used it and, if so, what's it like?:unsure:
The voice command is quite good. I use it on occasions to make hands free telephone calls, to increase or decrease volume and to take me to some destinations that are held in my Favourites section.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
That’s exactly why I buy Garmin units, for motorbike and Motorhome, I wouldn’t trust any directions any sat nav sent me on. Only useful if you can program your own route exactly which roads you want to go down using an up to date map of Europe, and then transfer that route to the sat nav so you know it is telling you to go down the roads that you selected.
I do this with the Garmin unit itself. No need to use other maps providing the Sat Nav map is kept up to date. Just bang in your destination using toll or non toll option then adjust route selected by Sat Nav to suit your personal needs. It's quite good at this, which is just as well because once in a while the route it chooses does not make sense.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We have that model and had it for 3 or 4 years. The voice control does not work abroad for some reason. Tried it and it told me that, havent tried voice control option in the uk as tend to know the way to Eurotunnel but i must get round to it.
Before getting this one we had 2 £50 chinese lorry sat navs as described above. Great as a start up or the thrifty person (me) but the Garmin is by far superior and I would never have bought one til the "Miss Wong Wei" broke on the first day of holiday forcing me into buying from a shop. From our aspect it was money well spent at about £300 in euros at the time.
Still finding features on it and the latest one was finding an Auchan on our route whereas we used to check where the nearest Auchan/Lidls/lpg was whilst not knowing it was on our route. We hate to follow the signs that say "Lidl 2mn" as have no idea if that is 2 minutes 2 junctions and what the road is like.

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
I do this with the Garmin unit itself. No need to use other maps providing the Sat Nav map is kept up to date. Just bang in your destination using toll or non toll option then adjust route selected by Sat Nav to suit your personal needs. It's quite good at this, which is just as well because once in a while the route it chooses does not make sense.
Yes but it’s far more fiddly, when you can see the map on your computer screen and draw the route exactly where you want to go it’s much much better. I started using it for bike routes which Was vital I chose the twisters quietist roads, so it was perfect, trying to do that on the satnav is damn near impossible. Okay for going A to B with a few altered variations, but imagine trying to do it for a 500 mile journey you’d be sat on it all day long.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I know some people swear by Garmin devices but I think these are way overpriced.The selling point is obviously the ability to imput vehicle dimensions but this is far from fool proof in my experience.Within a mile of where I live my 380 camper tried to send me down a lane hardly wide enough for a car and over a bridge with a 3 ton weight limit.And yes I did correctly put my 3.8 ton van dimensions in correctly.
That's because the lane probably doesn't have had a legal width restriction. That is all that Garmin picks up. There is actually a long term project to map the width of roads, but until that data is available, Satnavs are inevitable limited in their capability

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I find the voice control works very well on the Avtex tourer one (garmin770) great if you’re on a journey and decide you need to find a supermarket for exampl.

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Has anyone any suggestions for a dash board mount for the 785 camper for a 2020 ducato that doesn't need to be modified.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back