New Full Timers (advice please) (1 Viewer)

T

TheFluffs

Deleted User
Hi there.
We are new to Motorhomefun and to full-timing.

I have owned and built many motor-homes over the past 15 years, starting small with a V-Dub, then a few years (and vans) later going on a nine month European tour in a Land rover camper. We now have a Merc 709d that we are almost on completion of fitting out.

My partner Chrissie works in central London and I (Simon) am just about to embark on a degree in sustainable land management near Tunbridge wells. We are hoping to go "Full Time" for at least the next three years and want to live as cheaply and sustainably as possible. So I suppose we need advice on fitting renewable energy systems onto the vehicle and wild camping spots in between London and Tonbridge Wells, also spots to get water, free WiFi etc. We would also be up for buying/renting a small plot of land if anyone knows of any.

Basically if you can offer us ANY advice to make our adventure any easier then we would really appreciate it.

Thanks folks!
The Fluffs.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi there.
We are new to Motorhomefun and to full-timing.

I have owned and built many motor-homes over the past 15 years, starting small with a V-Dub, then a few years (and vans) later going on a nine month European tour in a Land rover camper. We now have a Merc 709d that we are almost on completion of fitting out.

My partner Chrissie works in central London and I (Simon) am just about to embark on a degree in sustainable land management near Tunbridge wells. We are hoping to go "Full Time" for at least the next three years and want to live as cheaply and sustainably as possible. So I suppose we need advice on fitting renewable energy systems onto the vehicle and wild camping spots in between London and Tonbridge Wells, also spots to get water, free WiFi etc. We would also be up for buying/renting a small plot of land if anyone knows of any.

Basically if you can offer us ANY advice to make our adventure any easier then we would really appreciate it.

Thanks folks!
The Fluffs.
Ownership of land does NOT confer the right to wild camp, although if it is larger than 5 acres you can stay on it for 28 days a year. Basically the authorities will veiw you as gypsies and move you on wherever you stop especially in the area you mention. Your best bet is to book onto a campsite and negotiate a long term discount. Whatever happens do keep a list of sites that will accept your home conversion (not all will) do your homework re sites long before you need one. Check out travellers sites; the county must by law provide them. penty of advice on here re solar panels, house batteries, wind power etc. Do try to avoid the use of a generator it is noisey and expencive to run but must admit sometimes unavoidable. There are plenty of people who full time but usually on sites or at a work related site. One night stands you may get away with. Don't forget you must have parking lights if over 3.5 ton and parked on a highway, that includes laybys, and grass verges, all concidered part of the highway under English Law. Under English Law wild camping is illegal even with the landowners permission unless they have a caravan site licence, but then it is not wild camping is it. Welcome to the world of stupid rules and regulations. Do keep us informed and let us know how you get on.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi TheFluffs you may manage a night or two but thats about all, you cant do anything like that in the UK I think its the most anti motorhome country you could ever try it in, I try to go into Morrisons to shop and get told I only have 2 hours! You have to go to europe where you are welcome and you can have lots of places to get water and dump your waste, we have just come back and when we were in Germany we found a Stelplatz where you pay 132euro about £100 a year than inc water waste and electric or 2 euro a night with electric if you paid the 132euro you could stay at the same one or go to 3 other stelplatz in that area, in this country your best bet is to join the caravan and camping club and stay on the cs sites.

The Camping and Caravanning Club - Welcome to The Club

Good Luck Bob.:whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Best of luck with your Lanny Camper and your tour. Saw this Lanny Camper at Stratford show this year. The inset is of the sign on the front :Smile:

lannycamper.jpg

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Regards Lanny Campers.....spotted this unusual setup last year returng from touring the Outer Hebrides. No idea where they were off to....but wherever it was they were well kitted out!

25oxl6d.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back