New full timer, and scared (1 Viewer)

J

jurooney

Deleted User
Hi I've just bought a 32ft American RV winnebago to live in full time, and not sure I've done the right thing. I lived in one for a few months with my expartner and loved it, but now I'm doing it on my own it's all a bit scary, especially driving it myself. I'll be looking to this forum for regular guidance and advice, so you'll probably see me regularly shouting for help :shout:

Ju

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hiya Jurooney and a Big Welcome from Me.

There are many people on this site, fulltiming, willing to give you support and advice on your new venture.:thumb:

Any Questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Ju

Welcome. I have been fulltiming for a year and a half with wife and baby, fantastic. Are you of the F sex or M sex?

Not yet met one fulltimer who does not ::bigsmile:

stew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ju Im scared for you:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: great init:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Welcome to the fun forum and shout away were all here to help if we can
Geo

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, you are in good hands, there are plenty here that can answer your questions. Are you going to base yourself in the UK or head somewhere warmer? That said its glorious sunshine in Wales today:Smile:

Welcome to the FUN:thumb:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
I can understand how you might feel.
Good planning may alleviate some of your fears - head for sites where others have recommended them as RV friendly - MoandDicks 'Big Pitch Guide' will be helpful (see the advert to the right of these pages).
Get a Sat Nav and try and find one that can be programmed for trucks although these may not be infallible.
In the UK buy the AA truckers map as it has bridge heights in. Abroad in France Michelin do the same (I don't know about the AA).
Could you go join up with another RVer for a couple of trips to build confidence.
Why not plan a route to a show - you know you'll be able to get in because there'll be loads of others doing the same and then you can have a chat with lots of other RV enthusiasts - the motorhome and RV show at Stratford - see shows and meets on here if you register as a MotorhomeFUN member you will get a wonderful welcome.
If at the end of it you're still not happy then don't be afraid to sell it and possibly get something smaller - we all make mistakes the thing is not to punish ourselves over it.
The very best of luck and I hope you come to enjoy it. I have met many sole travellers on on our own journeys - they are rarely lonely - go out with a positive attitude and it will be returned many thousand fold.
Keith

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Ju

Welcome to the Club - we are all here to help you as much or as little as you want - and don't be scared to ask what might seem silly questions because at one time or another we have all asked those same questions.

We are currently based in Cornwall and we have a lovely young lady living next door to us in a 38ft Monaco - and she doesn't have a licence! :Eeek:

When ever she wants to move she blinks her eyes at the local (HGV) male population and has never yet failed to find a driver willing to take her RV wherever she so wants. :thumb:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
We are currently based in Cornwall and we have a lovely young lady living next door to us in a 38ft Monaco - and she doesn't have a licence! :Eeek:

When ever she wants to move she blinks her eyes at the local (HGV) male population and has never yet failed to find a driver willing to take her RV wherever she so wants. :thumb:

MoandDick I think you've found the magic formula - Ju should head straight for Carvynicks (assuming he's male or then again blimey shouldn't have started this one) :Eeek:
Keith

Last edited:
F

foggyparrot

Deleted User
Hi Ju,

Congratulations! The answer to full timing is to be as positive about the whole thing as you possibly can. We've been at it for well over a year now and have never looked back.

There is always going to be somebody that can help if things don't go quite according to plan. Remotely via the forum, or locally if you are on a site.

The trick is to stand with a broken bit in your hand and look helpless! Someone will always come and ask if they can help.

There are a lot of us out here dotted around the country, plan a route and give us all visit!!

Mike and Jill.

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Hi Ju
From almost complete newcomers to the full timing job a big welcome! We've been doing this nearly 9 months now and have made every mistake in the book, believe me we have. Motorhome Funsters have given us so much advice, all of it noted. We can't afford most of the rv purpose built sites so look for smaller cls and club discounted pitches. Our budget is £12/night and over 9 months we've averaged £9.25 and on the way we've met some lovely friends, including quite a few lady solo full timers Hope you enjoy your new life, keep in touch
Jan

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Hi Jurooney and WELCOME!:ROFLMAO:

We've been fulltiming for 1 year now and haven't had a moments regret - we love it!::bigsmile:

Where are you based? There's bound to be one or other of us not far away or at least passing close by any minute!!! :thumb:

As the others have all said - we're a friendly bunch us fulltimers and ask away with your questions because somebody will have already had the same problem!

See you around!

Marie
:ROFLMAO:

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Meant to say, we still worry about driving. A joint effort in our case, I talk and Merv aims! We plan ahead with AA routemaster printed directions every trip, checked out on the truckers atlas. Also if poss we go in the car and look ahead at access etc.
Driving the beast is the one thing that worries us, even with an HGV class 1
Jan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hello and welcome :thumb: what a great time you have ahead of you !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back