New fridge on it's way .... yay!!!! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Something's going right for a change! :D

Our T1090 compressor fridge doesn't like the cold so keeps warming up and trying to give us salmonella poisoning by defrosting and refreezing the contents of the freezer, we've been hoping to get it sorted before we go on our next foray but didn't think we'd manage it as we seem to just be hitting a brick wall when trying to find someone willing to sort it.

After battling with a very unhelpful female at Thetford a couple of weeks ago who denied that there were any problems with these Mk 1 fridge freezers at all (yeah, of course she didn't know ...) we've been trying to sort it out but getting no-where fast! Hubby's now picked up the baton as I've been up to my eyeballs with other and am now buried in paperwork doing our tax returns (trying to get my head round the rules for furnished holiday lets which are totally different to normal residential lets makes me wonder why we bought the ruddy things ... at least by the end of this I should be able to recite the tax rules chapter and verse ...o_O).

He's been trying to get someone to look at it so we could get a warranty claim submitted but of course we had our calls to approved repairers not returned and dealers not willing to do it as they didn't supply the vehicle (where have I heard that one before ...). The chap at repair place we've used before was on holiday so we had to wait until he got back to ask him about it and although he's more than happy to deal with stuff, unfortunately he doesn't have 'knowledge' of compressor fridges so won't touch them ... a long wait for nothing ... bah humbug! Hubby therefore rang our supplying dealer to get some help (another delay due to them being at the NEC) who rang Thetford to see if he could get anywhere with them but got the same 'attitude' as we did. In the end hubby decided to try Thetford again and fortunately this time spoke to a very helpful chap who knew all about the issues with our fridge thank goodness as it's a very common issue with them (no sh*t Sherlock!) and suggested a couple of places that should be happy look deal with it for us. One of them, a guy at Caratech (mobile repairer so no axe to grind), was willing to get involved ... yay! :)

To cut a long story short the upshot is that, with the support of the Caratech guy, Thetford have agreed to replace our fridge with the new Mk 2 version - YIPPEE!!!!!!!! :clap2:

The chap at Thetford said the Mk 2 is a LOT better than the Mk 1 and although there aren't any in the UK at the moment they have stock in Holland so should be able to get one to the UK for us to have fitted before we go away again .... BUT ... there's always a BUT :eek: .... unfortunately the Caratech guy is too busy to do the work himself for at least a month however the Thetford chap helpfully rang the other company he'd recommended, Yorkshire Coast Caravans near Bridlington and explained our predicament and they are more than happy to do the swap round .... DOUBLE YIPPEE!!! :D2

They've provisionally booked us in for 5 November, subject to the new fridge arriving by then. We'll have to have a drive up there and they'll do the work while we wait, so we might spend a few days round the area just to have a break and make sure all is well before our long trip as they won't have a chance to give it an overnight test ... not that it can be any worse than the one we've got now! :rolleyes:

So, all being well, we'll have a new fridge freezer by the time we go to Spain in November ... we owe the Caratech guy a big thank you for helping us sort it out, we couldn't have got approval for a replacement without him, or at least not without a LOT more aggro ... a nice alcoholic beverage will be winging its way to him shortly! :roflmto:

Hopefully this means I won't need the 50w solar panel I've ordered 'just in case' ... but better safe than sorry! :D2

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Good news @Minxy Girl , any chance you could name the helpful chap at Thetford, might help others to get theirs sorted.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The chap's name is: Richard Whitford, very helpful chap indeed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
I was very much taken with the design of the Globescout which I saw at the NEC last week and have it on the shortlist for when (SWMBO says if :whistle:) we change. However, I was rather unsure about the compressor fridge/freezer after reading the earlier postings of @Minxy Girl about the likely need for increased solar/battery capacity and would prefer a 3-way unit to give more flexibility.

Following on from Minxy Girl’s most recent posting, I thought I would do a bit of internet searching to try to have a better understanding of the limitations. Summarised below is what I found. I will be more than happy to be corrected by anyone having better knowledge of these matters.

There are known problems of operating a “normal” domestic refrigeration in an unheated location (e.g. a garage) in winter months, where temperatures may go down below 10°C. Cold air on the outside tricks the interior thermostat into thinking the inside air doesn't need chilling and the compressor isn't activated. The fridge/freezer warms up and items inside warm/thaw. I understand that it is possible to buy a so-called "Garage Ready" model, which has a small heater that tricks the thermostat into running the compressor, but I have no personal experience of such models. (I believe Bosch and Beko market some appliances in the UK which work down to an ambient temperature of -15°C.)

Domestic appliances designed to operate under certain climate conditions are rated according to their climate classes. Climate classes of fridges indicate the minimum and maximum temperature limits, within which they are able to function properly. This information is usually provided in the form of letter symbols which can be found on a label with technical specifications of the appliance. Example below:

Class.png

There are four main climate classes applicable for refrigerators/freezers

1. N or Normal. Such a fridge can operate within the temperature range of +16°C – +32°С.

2. SN or Subnormal. In this case, the required temperature range is +10°C – +32°С.

3. ST or Subtropical. Such a fridge is fit for hot and humid subtropical climate and is intended to operate at +18°C – + 38°С

4. Т or Tropical is intended for a dry climate. The temperature range is +18°C – +43°С.

Checking the Thetford website, the only compressor refrigeration units they appear to market (the T1000 series) have different ratings for “Day time” and “Night Time” usage (have not yet puzzled out what the difference usage means – perhaps a setting for the compressor to run more quietly at night) and these are, for the T1090 model:

Climate Class Day Mode: ST (16°C – 38°C)
Climate Class Night Mode: N (16°C – 32°C)

So, it would seem that the Thetford unit fitted by Globecar is not expected to operate efficiently below an ambient temperature of 16°C.

After Minxy Girl gains some experience of using the Thetford “Mk2” version, it would be really helpful to learn whether or not this makes a significant improvement. It would also be of interest to learn if the “Climate Classifications” (see above) are different for the Mk1 and Mk2 variants. (Presume they will both be designated as T1090 models.)

Hope all works out well for you, Minxy Girl.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
After Minxy Girl gains some experience of using the Thetford “Mk2” version, it would be really helpful to learn whether or not this makes a significant improvement. It would also be of interest to learn if the “Climate Classifications” (see above) are different for the Mk1 and Mk2 variants. (Presume they will both be designated as T1090 models.)

Hope all works out well for you, Minxy Girl.

Funnily enough I was going to ask @Minxy Girl the exact same question.

The two vans that we really like are only available with a compressor fridge but since we use the van in winter in the UK I wasn’t relishing the prospect of trying to keep it at 16C at all times, which would be thirsty on gas and power (we’re mainly off grid). So we were looking at having to compromise and go for our third choice (campscout) which is still available with option of an absorption fridge.

I really do hope that the mk 2 works well for you - being partly selfish as it will make the decision on what our next van will be a lot easier.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I have a full size domestic size 230v Beko Fridge freezer ,in the RV it is one of the very few as mentioned that have T and garage rating.
have found it works well in all conditions . It would be too big for most motorhomes . I dont know of any 12v comp fridge freezers with suitable rating . The answer may be that moho makers haven't really got up to speed on this problem . A fairly simple fix may be possible by having a summer and winter vent system , as during winter vents could be on interior of van , with external vents shut , and summer vice versa . There isn't the need to have external venting as required with a absorption fridge running on gas !

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have a full size domestic size 230v Beko Fridge freezer ,in the RV it is one of the very few as mentioned that have T and garage rating.
have found it works well in all conditions . It would be too big for most motorhomes . I dont know of any 12v comp fridge freezers with suitable rating . The answer may be that moho makers haven't really got up to speed on this problem . A fairly simple fix may be possible by having a summer and winter vent system , as during winter vents could be on interior of van , with external vents shut , and summer vice versa . There isn't the need to have external venting as required with a absorption fridge running on gas !
I have been looking at the Kissmann units which Phoenix fit and they operate in lower temperatures using dual thermostats.
http://www.kissmann.net/kuehlschrank/kt210.htm

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I have been looking at the Kissmann units which Phoenix fit and they operate in lower temperatures using dual thermostats.
http://www.kissmann.net/kuehlschrank/kt210.htm

On first glance they look better suited to our needs. Unfortunately they’re bigger than the Thetford or Dometic units that come as standard in our preferred choice of vans so it wouldn’t be a straight swap. And I daren’t even think about the extra cost.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
On first glance they look better suited to our needs. Unfortunately they’re bigger than the Thetford or Dometic units that come as standard in our preferred choice of vans so it wouldn’t be a straight swap. And I daren’t even think about the extra cost.
They have a more or less direct replacement for the 8555 although I am still looking at how I get around the oven!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'll certainly report back on how we get on with the new fridge ... can't be any worse than us trying to improve the existing one with polystyrene in the silly flappy uninsulated door and surrounding the freezer compartment 'metal box' with bubble wrap!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Bit of an update ... the very helpful chap at Thetford has 'kept us in the loop' by copying emails to us so we know what's happening ... and the good news is that the new fridge is on it's travels! (y)

It was sent from The Netherlands today via DHL and should be with the dealer by Friday at the latest. Might actually be able to use the new freezer for ice-cream when we got to Spain shortly! :D2

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
According to the courier it's now in Leeds .... :)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It arrived at the dealers this afternoon and they have checked it for damage and all is well so we're booked in on Tuesday to get it swapped round. (y)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
All sorted .... hip, hip, hooray!!!!

Well I went this morning setting off at 9.00 am and it took me about 50 mins to get there, I'd 'googled' them so knew where they were located and the sat nav got me there without any issues. I confirmed the details of the work required and checked our camper with the service lady before having a lovely cup of coffee made for me which was very welcome. After having a mooch round their shop bits and bobs I settled down with my puzzle book. It got a bit cool so I put my jacket on and one of the chaps brought out a LPG cabinet heater for me as, although they'd put the heating on, with it having lots of glass it was taking a long while to get up to temperature, another lovely cup of coffee was provided too and he apologised for not having any biscuits to offer me! :D

About 5 minutes later I was told it was done so it was about 90 mins from my getting there to leaving ... part of this was due to my slowly slurping my lovely hot coffee! :D2

They were great, lovely friendly people and caused no hassle at all for me, I would certainly recommend them especially since I hadn't been a customer of theirs so they had not reason to look after me as they did, it's a shame that they mainly do caravans as I'd have no hesitation in buying a MH from them in the future.

Hubby's done a test on the new fridge freezer by putting it on night mode no. 3 (no EHU) and he's just told me that in less than 90 mins it's gone down to -9.3 ... yay-hay. :Grin:

Only slight negative is that due to the extra insulation/design of the freezer compartment it's slightly smaller but we can live with that ... ice-cream here we come!!! :p

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That's a great result Mel and I'm chuffed that you can achieve such a low temp in 90-minutes.

Will our fridge be the same as your new one.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Which fridge did they replace it with?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That's a great result Mel and I'm chuffed that you can achieve such a low temp in 90-minutes.

Will our fridge be the same as your new one.

Which fridge did they replace it with?
Just posted the info on another thread, but this is what I said:

We've now got our new fridge freezer fitted and it is a lot better than the original stupid one we had, so if you've got the mark 2 version I would think you won't have a problem as the freezer box is properly insulated now and has separate cooling from the fridge, the mark 1 version uses the same 'tube' to cool both it and the freezer! You can identify them easily from looking at the below photos - the one on the left doesn't have the moulded handle in the front.​

...................Mark 1 version freezer .................................... Mark 2 version freezer .......

fridge.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back