New Fresh-up cassette alignment (yes, a toilet thread!!) (1 Viewer)

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We bought a Thetford fresh-up kit (C200), just in case, and had occasion to use the brand new cassette on a recent trip, as the original was full and there were no facilities for black water nearby.

I noticed that the replacement was somewhat difficult to clip into position and the seal does not align perfectly with the bowl, as the original does. It does work and did not seem to leak, though TBF it was nowhere near full by the time we got home.

The replacement does have wheels and an extendable handle, and I thought these might be the issue, but even taking the wheels off made no difference. The original fits perfectly with no hint of effort to click it into place. It does take some effort to get the new one in.

Has anyone else found this, or might I just have been sold a slightly dicky unit?

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
They should fit and work ok. As long as you ordered the correct refresh kit you should be fine. And the refresh cassette has Handel and wheels and should not be a problem đź‘Ť

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I have had problems with mine - apparently they are a couple of millimetres shallower than the originals.

Mine leaked into the cassette cupboard so had to put a shim of plastic underneath to raise it up a bit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
We bought a Thetford fresh-up kit (C200), just in case, and had occasion to use the brand new cassette on a recent trip, as the original was full and there were no facilities for black water nearby.

I noticed that the replacement was somewhat difficult to clip into position and the seal does not align perfectly with the bowl, as the original does. It does work and did not seem to leak, though TBF it was nowhere near full by the time we got home.

The replacement does have wheels and an extendable handle, and I thought these might be the issue, but even taking the wheels off made no difference. The original fits perfectly with no hint of effort to click it into place. It does take some effort to get the new one in.

Has anyone else found this, or might I just have been sold a slightly dicky unit?
Try checking this: Thetford Cassette Toilet Automatic Pressure Release Outside Vent Valve

I bought a fresh-up kit and noticed this part was different. Ordered a replacement one that was the same - part number 2378874

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Try checking this: Thetford Cassette Toilet Automatic Pressure Release Outside Vent Valve

I bought a fresh-up kit and noticed this part was different. Ordered a replacement one that was the same - part number 2378874
Did that mean that the cassette fit better into the hold?

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
They should fit and work ok. As long as you ordered the correct refresh kit you should be fine. And the refresh cassette has Handel and wheels and should not be a problem đź‘Ť
Yep, it was the correct kit, but the fit just isn’t quite as it should be, somehow.

Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Did that mean that the cassette fit better into the hold?
Yes it did, as the pressure release valve that came on the new fresh-up kit was different and thus didn't line up properly. My set-up has an auto pressure release kit fitted, so I needed it. It would be worth checking yours. It's the knob on the left (as it's facing away from you when you're putting into the hold).

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I have had problems with mine - apparently they are a couple of millimetres shallower than the originals.
Hi.
Our original one,second m/ho we had, after about a year needed shimming up to keep it up to the seal. easy fix.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Just replaced our C2l and fits ok. Did you get the correct one? Ours was handed, we had to specify right or left hand
Didn’t know there were handed cassettes. It looks identical to the original in every way, apart from the wheels.

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Yes it did, as the pressure release valve that came on the new fresh-up kit was different and thus didn't line up properly. My set-up has an auto pressure release kit fitted, so I needed it. It would be worth checking yours. It's the knob on the left (as it's facing away from you when you're putting into the hold).
I’ll check that. Thanks ByronMH

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018

I got a new cassette as a spare & the new one had a pressure relief valve where’s the original had a vent
A quick quarter turn Swaps them over when in use

1FE50F53-D823-466A-A165-C06BC748C8DD.jpeg

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Didn’t know there were handed cassettes. It looks identical to the original in every way, apart from the wheels.
I'd say wheels (or not) makes them far from identical.

My experience is that there will be a exact model number of the Thetford toilet on the inside of the cassette locker.
You need to get a cassette that matches EXACTLY that number, as all cassettes are left or right handed.
(Tends to be same as drivers side in UK designed vans and opposite in right hand drive European designed vans)
It also depends on weather your loo faces forward or back, and is mounted on the left or right side of the van.

If you know that your cassette was the original factory fit, then you could go with the number on the cassette, however, although we are the first owners of our van, we found our cassette was several years older than the van. It must have been swapped at the dealers at some point.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
One thing I found with a new one that you had to push it in then pull it back about half an inch to the stop, else it was to far in and not correctly lined up.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Has anyone had an issue where clean water (perhaps from the flush) is going into the cassette locker? Every time I go to empty the cassette i find a small puddle of clean water in the locker.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Has anyone had an issue where clean water (perhaps from the flush) is going into the cassette locker? Every time I go to empty the cassette i find a small puddle of clean water in the locker.
Yes I have and it’s only just stoped doing that although I’ve not changed anything so I don’t know why it happens .

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Yes I have and it’s only just stoped doing that although I’ve not changed anything so I don’t know why it happens .

I put a new seal on the cassette but that didn't fix it, it does the same with the spare cassette as well which is the newer type with wheels and brand new. Maybe it's rain getting in?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We were getting water in the toilet/shower room.My fault I was overfilling the flush tank. BUSBY.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
ManTheVan do you have a SOG extractor fitted? If so you have to remove the grey insert in the fan pipe to allow snug fit and SOG to work I believe it is something to do with the cassette air intake for the thetford system🤔

Last edited:
OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
ManTheVan do you have a SOG extractor fitted? If so you have to remove the grey insert in the fan pipe to allow snug fit and SOG to work I believe it is something to do with the cassette air intake for the thetford system🤔
No SOG fitted, but thanks for the heads up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back