New Forest sites? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I'm thinking of booking Setthorns but I could do with some local area advice please.
We are looking for a site in the forest, electric and toilets. Within walking distance of local pub for good food.
Any other site suggestions for walking distance to pubs / village shops?

Thanks

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Depends if you're in the caravan club but Black Knowl used to be our favourite for many years. The last few years we've stayed at Longmeadows - I think the prices have gone up quite a bit though.

You can walk into Brockenhurst from both sites

Or Hollands Wood, again it's on the edge of Brockenhurst but we never stayed there so I'm not 100% sure what facilities there are.

Possibly also have a look at Holmsley & the caravan club millennium site (they're v close to each other) - not sure if you can walk into Bransgore from there.

Anywhere is lovely there and I' m sure you'll get more info.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
No facilities at sett horns, but superb for being in the forest.
Best bet probably Holland wood. All facilities and nice stroll into Brockenhurst, which has 2 small supermarkets, a fab baker, bucher and greengrocers as well as numerous places for tea and or meals.
The Chinese in the high street has greatly improved in quality.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We stayed at Hollands Wood quite a few years ago in a tent. It's quite a nice place.

We love the New Forest but I'm wary at the moment because of the number of Alabama Rot cases

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hollands Wood has most facilities but not electric.

Link: https://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/england/new-forest/hollands-wood-campsite

Don't think any of the camping in the forest sites have electric. Have a look at all the sites at www.campingintheforest.co.uk .

Denise
I Think Holmsley is full facility - perhaps someone who was on the Halloween meet last year can confirm, I know the toilet blocks were refurbished @Popeye

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Setthorns has electric and hard standing.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
No facilities at sett horns, but superb for being in the forest.
Best bet probably Holland wood. All facilities and nice stroll into Brockenhurst, which has 2 small supermarkets, a fab baker, bucher and greengrocers as well as numerous places for tea and or meals.
The Chinese in the high street has greatly improved in quality.

Look no further than Sue's Post, she worked at Sethorns, well she called it work it was more of a paid Holiday really.

Holmsley has it all, Hard or Grass pitches. EHU if required but it is more than just a stroll to the nearest pub. Cracking set up though. My money would be on Hollands Wood, @Carol & Eddie stayed there last year, c'mon Carol let's have your trusted and reliable opinion.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Don't forget your bird feeders. We've watched nuthatch, woodpeckers, tree creepers, and all the tits. Wonderful. We like Setthorns the best although no loos.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
With regards to EHU in the "Camping in the Forest" Sites, it is only Holmsley and Setthorns that have it. If you can do without and don't have a dog, then look at Ashurst as well. This is very close to the village with shops and Pubs. With dogs, I would opt for Hollands wood as well, but the road can be noisy. If you can do without EHU and pub, then Ocknell or Roundhill are, IMV the best.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
With regards to EHU in the "Camping in the Forest" Sites, it is only Holmsley and Setthorns that have it. If you can do without and don't have a dog, then look at Ashurst as well. This is very close to the village with shops and Pubs. With dogs, I would opt for Hollands wood as well, but the road can be noisy. If you can do without EHU and pub, then Ocknell or Roundhill are, IMV the best.
ocknell has a pub reasonably close , sir walter tyrell is 15 mins walk through the woods , take a torch for your return

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We are just off to Setthorns tomorrow. We have visited many times and it's one of our favorites. I think Black Knowle is closed at the moment for refurbishment - nice though.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I Think Holmsley is full facility - perhaps someone who was on the Halloween meet last year can confirm, I know the toilet blocks were refurbished @Popeye
Holmsley has full facilities and a nice little take away. But it bloody expensive ..my son stayed recently on his own in moho £27 per night .mega bucks as far as I am concerned. .but lots of places to visit Roy

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I would say Ashurst, but no electric. Used it many times though busy at weekends. Nice pub next door and railway station as well.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We stayed at Hollands Wood quite a few years ago in a tent. It's quite a nice place.

We love the New Forest but I'm wary at the moment because of the number of Alabama Rot cases

A bit worrying as you say, I think they have had 12 cases in the forest.
It was on the local news a few nights back and it seems that if the dog goes through mud and is not cleaned off there is more risk.

Oct 26, 2016
kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 810G
Exp
since 2003
The caravan club site Centenary or you could try sandy balls new forest a bit pricey but nice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back