Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Certainly make it easier when you've got them on your rucksack and you are trying to climb with them.

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Anybody purchased a set yet and tried them out

Voyager-1p-ski-bag_everything-that-fits-in-edit.jpg

Launched on February 1 2021, the Elan Voyager is priced at ā‚¬1,499.95 (Ā£1,349.95) including skis, bindings, poles and custom bag. Itā€™s available in three lengths: 160cm (packed to 87cm), 166cm (packed to 89cm) and 172cm (packed to 93cm). The compact ski bag measures 100x26x16cm. Distribution in-store has been delayed until autumn due to the coronavirus pandemic, but the Voyager is currently available online in the Elan webstore..

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I was expecting a joke
I think at those prices it is a joke for me. We always fly but also always rent. I've not had a bad rental pair yet . By the time you take into account the transport costs and servicing I can't see the point in buying unless you're going for a season.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Like The Wino we hire skis now
Had enough of getting skis through airports etc
Was tempted to buy a new set during the summer as there were lots on offers but passed in the end

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Like The Wino we hire skis now
Had enough of getting skis through airports etc
Was tempted to buy a new set during the summer as there were lots on offers but passed in the end
I usually get tempted at the end of every season but it really makes no financial sense. We always book in advance sometimes with a discount code from decathlon. I usually book one down from the top level skis.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Last time I took skis they didn't arrive with us to destination
They had their own trip around eu
They were flown to Munich then Vienna then Innsbruck then couriered to us in Italy arriving on the Wednesday night
Tour operator had arranged hire ones for us, I switched back to my own for last couple of days then confirmed I liked the hire ones better than my own :rolleyes:
I still keep then for the odd bit of home skiing

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I caught an edge on a hidden rock with some hire skis in Austria, totally ripped the steel edge out of the ski along three quarters of its length. Took them back to the hire shop expecting the worst, but the guy just shrugged his shoulders and said "Sh1t happens" and gave me a replacement set.
I still have my old 1980's Dynastars for when we get snow here, they must be the skiing equivalent of cross ply tyres ! :LOL:

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Maybe if the airlines weren't so eager to extract more money from paying customers specifically going on skiing holidays we could all take our own standard ski's.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I caught an edge on a hidden rock with some hire skis in Austria, totally ripped the steel edge out of the ski along three quarters of its length. Took them back to the hire shop expecting the worst, but the guy just shrugged his shoulders and said "Sh1t happens" and gave me a replacement set.
I still have my old 1980's Dynastars for when we get snow here, they must be the skiing equivalent of cross ply tyres ! :LOL:
I persisted with using my1988 Kastle skis to the 21st C but people either took the piss or thought I had some ā€œspecialā€ ski skills.
In the end I switched to renting the new carver type skis šŸ˜œ
Good move. I now even hire boots and even more recently a helmet.
Always had decent kit. (Edit. Clarity. I mean renters have good gear. I rent locally - but reserve in advance.)
BTW the helmet I hired as a mount for a GoPro type camera. 98% of that footage was just my ski tips. ā˜¹ļøšŸ˜‚

Last edited:
OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Maybe if the airlines weren't so eager to extract more money from paying customers specifically going on skiing holidays we could all take our own standard ski's.
The extra ski bag charge assumes you are already carrying another item of checked luggage and your skis/board will be a second checked item. ... Business Class or First Class fares generally allow for two checked bags, so no additional supplement is needed if skis are included in checked allowance

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Elan new folding ski`s should help when planning to fly to ski resorts

Why did the video not show the mechanics of how they unlock and lock, because if I were on a black run I would want to know how secure I was?

How secure is the locking mechanism if one accidently crashes down between two short moguls on Tortin at Verbier or the the 'Wall' at Avoriaz?

Maybe they are designed more for off-piste?

Geoff

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Mountain skis are, until now, one solid unbroken plank because integrity, coupled with flexibility, is a huge part of what makes them work. If you start cutting them in half and sticking what is essentially an elaborate hinge in the middle, then all manner of things can go wrong as you're halfway down a mogul field. None of them are likely to be welcomely received.
Fortunately, Elan has form when is comes to ski innovation. In 1993, it made the SCX, or ā€œSideCut eXtreme.ā€ Rather than straight all the way down, the SCX skis were narrower in the middle and wider at the ends, allowing for elegant, fast, sweeping turns. These are easy-to-ride ā€œcarvingā€ ski.
The ski is made whole, then cut in half to ensure a perfect join. Making batches of ā€œhalf skisā€ was never going to work, apparently. four chunky steel hinges are embedded in the center of each ski, affording it the all-important party trick of folding in half. The binding, which comes integrated as part of the ski, sits on a carbon-reinforced plastic plate that, once unlocked, swings round on a pivot to marry the two halves of the Voyager. This rigid carbon-plastic plate is then locked in place with special clips.

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Mountain skis are, until now, one solid unbroken plank because integrity, coupled with flexibility, is a huge part of what makes them work. If you start cutting them in half and sticking what is essentially an elaborate hinge in the middle, then all manner of things can go wrong as you're halfway down a mogul field. None of them are likely to be welcomely received.
Fortunately, Elan has form when is comes to ski innovation. In 1993, it made the SCX, or ā€œSideCut eXtreme.ā€ Rather than straight all the way down, the SCX skis were narrower in the middle and wider at the ends, allowing for elegant, fast, sweeping turns. These are easy-to-ride ā€œcarvingā€ ski.
The ski is made whole, then cut in half to ensure a perfect join. Making batches of ā€œhalf skisā€ was never going to work, apparently. four chunky steel hinges are embedded in the center of each ski, affording it the all-important party trick of folding in half. The binding, which comes integrated as part of the ski, sits on a carbon-reinforced plastic plate that, once unlocked, swings round on a pivot to marry the two halves of the Voyager. This rigid carbon-plastic plate is then locked in place with special clips.
The above article was taken from Jeremy White http://toptechnicalsolutions.com/

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Why did the video not show the mechanics of how they unlock and lock, because if I were on a black run I would want to know how secure I was?

How secure is the locking mechanism if one accidently crashes down between two short moguls on Tortin at Verbier or the the 'Wall' at Avoriaz?

Maybe they are designed more for off-piste?

Geoff
1640885456171.png

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp

I think this is the link Elan sent a pair to Ski Cross World Champion Filip Flisar and gave him one instruction ā€¦ shred hard! Hit the box, earn your turns, overshoot jumps, essentially do anything you can to try and break them, and report back..

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
Better to rent especially if your German as some English bloke will no doubt stand on the fronts of them if you try to push past for the chair lift:whistle2::whistle2:
Donā€™t know much German but I donā€™t think they were saying, excuse me do you mind stepping off my skisšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back