New firm mattress needed. (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
My wife is suffering from a bad back which is much alleviated by a firm mattress , however our french bed mattress is way too soft and will need to be replaced . Can anyone please recommend a company that can make a bespoke mattress for our Bailey , many thanks in advance.

Flying Fifer

Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Lunar H622
Exp
2014 (camper/ caravanner since 1990's)
I bought a memory foam mattress, then used old mattress as a template.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We used a firm over wroxham way that made a lot for boats and had mattress to try out first before it’s made. We got our one autumn before first lock down and have never used it yet. I guess you need somewhere in Ireland to try them out though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
We used a firm over wroxham way that made a lot for boats and had mattress to try out first before it’s made. We got our one autumn before first lock down and have never used it yet. I guess you need somewhere in Ireland to try them out though
That will be Jekells

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
My wife is suffering from a bad back which is much alleviated by a firm mattress , however our french bed mattress is way too soft and will need to be replaced . Can anyone please recommend a company that can make a bespoke mattress for our Bailey , many thanks in advance.
There are these guys http://shipshapecaravans.co.uk/

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think it was ship shape, I would have to check. It’s nearly 2 years ago now, haha. Brilliant fuel consumption since we brought it. Haha

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Cheap option is to get the firm foam mattress from Ikea. The cover just unzips. Cut the foam to shape. If you're really picky, you can re-sew the cover, but we just tucked the excess under. Somehow it's more comfortable than the very expensive multi-layer, pocket spring, natural fibres, etc... thing we have at home.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I tried mattress after mattress over the years, soft, hard, board like, and nothing worked.

DO some stretches my mate said, rear of legs, the hamstring muscles attached to the lower back and if tight they gradually wear on the lower back muscles when walking etc and these then stiffen overnight and lots of us blame the bed.
Low and behold 2 weeks later after doing them each day voila...was like jesus had cured the afflicted, years worth of lower back pain gone, never to return . I do the stretches most days, 3 minutes. There are loads you can do, I just stick my leg up on a chair now and bend but heres a few.
I know when they are tight again as if i try and touch my toes i feel it and cant manage.

Of course your wifes conidtion may be more serious but just sharing my exp for others to "stumble" upon.

OP
OP
P
Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I tried mattress after mattress over the years, soft, hard, board like, and nothing worked.

DO some stretches my mate said, rear of legs, the hamstring muscles attached to the lower back and if tight they gradually wear on the lower back muscles when walking etc and these then stiffen overnight and lots of us blame the bed.
Low and behold 2 weeks later after doing them each day voila...was like jesus had cured the afflicted, years worth of lower back pain gone, never to return . I do the stretches most days, 3 minutes. There are loads you can do, I just stick my leg up on a chair now and bend but heres a few.
I know when they are tight again as if i try and touch my toes i feel it and cant manage.

Of course your wifes conidtion may be more serious but just sharing my exp for others to "stumble" upon.
My wife’s MR ( done last week ) shows inflammatory changes that unfortunately won’t be cured by stretching exercises though however she is doing various physio instructed exercises up to six times a day . The hard mattress simply enables her to sleep and as we all appreciate sleep is essential to healing .

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Four years
We had a replacement mattress from Jonic in memory foam. They can supply a choice of firmness and have excellent customer service - for us at least! The first one from their drawings was incorrect and they provided a replacement to our measurements in very short order which has proved a great fit and very comfortable.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
We had a replacement mattress from Jonic in memory foam. They can supply a choice of firmness and have excellent customer service - for us at least! The first one from their drawings was incorrect and they provided a replacement to our measurements in very short order which has proved a great fit and very comfortable.
Jonic did our duvet and fitted sheets. They were excellent

• Nice One!
Reactions: prb
OP
OP
P
Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Many thanks for your replies , anyone has a guesstimate of turnaround times for orders ?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

Similar experience. I work slouched at a desk every day. I've had periods of back problems. Every time I've had issues, it has been a period where I'm doing little exercise. Cycling, running, etc all seem to help. But I have to put up with the pain and run the risk of making it worse in order to make it better. Humans aren't supposed to sit still all the time...

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Four years
Many thanks for your replies , anyone has a guesstimate of turnaround times for orders ?
It was a couple of years back, but I seem to remember the replacement took less than a fortnight.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back