Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
These rigs are getting more and more popular and for good reason. And, I was asked at Peterborough why we didn't have a 5th Wheeler forum and I couldn't answer, so for you fans of these giant beasts of the road. Here is your forum..

5THWHEELER.jpg

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Jim,
Great idea, but we think we will have to talk to ourselves:ROFLMAO:
BTW did you consider talking to "dismountable & 5th wheel club"?? From what the bossman told me, they would like to be in cyberspace.
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I still have the card Nigel, I will email him tomorrow:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
re this new forum

Thank you for adding this Fifth wheel forum, the timing couldn't be better as at present we are thinking of uprating from a C class to a fifth wheel [the aim eventually to spend longer periods in warmer climes with additional transport!]

We are quite avid readers of this motorhome forum; it has helped us glean information about our C class. So we were initially dismayed to see that once we had decided to try the fifth wheel route, that there was very little info, so hopefully this new forum will help to right this, as inevitably we all enjoy travelling & hearing about other peoples experiences whatever mode they chose to use.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Good idea Jim

Fifth wheels are so popular here in the states I reckon there are 3 or 4 to every motorhome, especially popular amongst fultimers.

Jan and I are also considering changing from our A class at home to either a C class or a uk made 5th wheel. Having used an A class here for the past few months its made us doubt the suitability of it at home, maybe a C class or uk made 5th wheel is more suitable.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We were very impressed with these units at one of the shows.

The build quality looked good and seems such a good idea.

No need to tow a car.Perfect solution for us.:thumb:

Safetyman

Free Member
Apr 5, 2008
Funster No
These rigs are getting more and more popular and for good reason. And, I was asked at Peterborough why we didn't have a 5th Wheeler forum and I couldn't answer, so for you fans of these giant beasts of the road. Here is your forum..

5THWHEELER.jpg

Hi Jim
Bit late I know to reply to your original post, however, as I am aware there are no dedicated fifth wheel sections in any other forums in the UK.
As for beasts of the road my 26ft Roadrunner is shorter end to end than your average twin axle caravan/car rig, its easier to reverse, its easier to hitch-up (you can see the Hitch) and side to side sway is eliminated due to the hitch being within the load bay of the pick-up, over the rear axle.
Oh and I forgot to mention, the nose weight can go up to 1 ton dependent on the train/GVW, also I have a king size double bed, massive storage space under the swan neck, a shower and sit in bath that supports my 6'5" frame and an internal height of 7'.
Brakes:- My Electric Trailer brakes stop my nissan navara pick-up quicker than the Navara can stop without the trailer!
If thats not enough electric jacks in the front make parking a doddle, the slide out is electrically operated, a pull down sun shade is standard and we have clocked our set-up time as 12 minutes from arrival at site to relaxing with a bottle of wine, complete with chairs table etc! (we have witnessed caravan awning errection taking 2.5 hours)
Downside is that when you get into the ferry port or campsite you have all these people wanting a look!! Wev'e had Germans, Dutch, French, Latvians you name it! Lorry drivers are the most prolific because they like the idea that a caravan has the "Articulated" connection.
Had a small twin axle caravan previously but have decided to camp in style!!!!
If anyone wants confirmation of whether its worth converting to a higher standard of vanning please get in touch.

Kind Regards

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I often look at them on the net and drove one in the US but wondered where i could see US trucks at affordable prices?

I would happily import both:Smile:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi

Nice looking rig, I have spoken to a couple of people lately that are contemplating getting a 5er because they can site it down south and it does not need to keep coming back to the UK for an MOT. We are seeing more of these on the roads, so I am sure this forum section will get busier eventually.:Smile:

K

kayzee bounder

Deleted User
Happy 5th wheeler

Hi all, being a bit lazy i hadn't been on the site since i joined so on recieving a mail asking me where'd i gone..... here i am:Blush:, but am i glad because scrolling through i spotted this 5th wheel forum and far as i know its a first, while i can't claim to be an internet whizz i have searched a bit for a U.k. site but never found one (er....that may just be me), but happy days i'm on one now :thumb:. Though i said it before when i joined mine is a 2007 36' twin axle K-Z Montego Bay triple slide with genny onboard, same as Jim's with the electric legs and brakes but no way yet have i managed 12 minutes pull up to set up....give me time only been out in it twice so far. I use a Dodge Ram 3500 to tow it and its a good drive, steady no swaying at all. From a previous chat here i know some of you will be at Worchester soon so i'll say hello there. Have fun all ::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi

Nice looking rig, I have spoken to a couple of people lately that are contemplating getting a 5er because they can site it down south and it does not need to keep coming back to the UK for an MOT. We are seeing more of these on the roads, so I am sure this forum section will get busier eventually.:Smile:
If not brought back for an MOT how will anyone legally move it in the future, or is it just left to rot. Similar problem with a motorhome in France recently, nice van good runner but no MOT, would be confiscated if caught on the road. haulage would cost more than the vehicle worth. Or does the trailer part of a 5th wheel not require an MOT, thought regs were coming in later this year to make separate reg and test for trailer obligatory. BTW I have six wheels how about a section for me hee hee:ROFLMAO:

K

kayzee bounder

Deleted User
Trailer tests

So far a non commercial trailer in the U.K doesn't require a test, same as an ordinary car trailer or caravan, but knowing our governments that will change once they realise that's another way to skim a few bob, even so for now no steering no seatbelts no headlights etc., etc., it's a whole lot less to test. :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So far a non commercial trailer in the U.K doesn't require a test, same as an ordinary car trailer or caravan, but knowing our governments that will change once they realise that's another way to skim a few bob, even so for now no steering no seatbelts no headlights etc., etc., it's a whole lot less to test. :RollEyes:

i figure if and when this trailer test ever comes into being it will only consist of tyre kicking and door slamming.

all you have is brakes, lights and chassis integrity:winky:

it'll be interesting to see them test the overrun brakes though.....how do you get an efficiency reading on them.:whatthe:

F

Fifth-RV

Deleted User
If not brought back for an MOT how will anyone legally move it in the future, or is it just left to rot. Similar problem with a motorhome in France recently, nice van good runner but no MOT, would be confiscated if caught on the road. haulage would cost more than the vehicle worth. Or does the trailer part of a 5th wheel not require an MOT, thought regs were coming in later this year to make separate reg and test for trailer obligatory. BTW I have six wheels how about a section for me hee hee:ROFLMAO:

Provided the trailer is roadworthy you could legally tow it without an MOT to a place of testing in the UK, then to a place of repair if it fails. So it wouldn't be "stranded" in Europe. But in any case, as already noted, MOTs do not yet apply to non-commercial trailers.

New regs come into force next year (April 2009) to require Type Approval testing of all new trailers, but not registration or annual testing.

F

Fifth-RV

Deleted User
...mine is a 2007 36' twin axle K-Z Montego Bay triple slide ... I use a Dodge Ram 3500 to tow it and its a good drive, steady no swaying at all.
Hi K-B. I've just discovered this forum tonight, and after much searching it's great to find someone with a similar rig to my own. Mine is a 2008 41' twin axle quad slide (no gennie yet) and the TV is a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 dually. Shipped Baltimore-Southampton last June.

Like you say, a dream to drive. Is your RAM an gasser or a diesel? I chose the 5.9L Cummins.

K

kayzee bounder

Deleted User
Snap !

Hi Fifth,
thought i was seeing double for a moment, nice looking outfit but then i am biased lol. Yes i have the 5.9 Cummins engine, auto box etc., very happy with it all. The trailer has an Onan 5.5 genny fitted in the states, its mounted in the compartment under the front, works well but a little noisy outside up close, don't hear a thing inside though:RollEyes:, anyway to be a bit more considerate to others i have bought a Honda 20i which i'm told will run most of it...quietly. Onboard genny runs on propane from the storage bottle and i carry a spare so all in all there's not really anything more i want to do to it well other than get out in it. The dodge is a standard rear drive but i am giving some thought to seeing if there's a rear diff coversion to full diff lock for grass. I haven't had a problem yet pulling off but after an experience at Billing Land rover show recently, it made me wonder what might happen on wet ground and an uphill pull out, but then my other pastime is off roading so maybe i'm just being over concerned. Are you going to Malvern if so will have the chance to say hello.

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Hi all,

I'm just looking to purchase an F150 5.4ltr V8, (Petrol) + Celtic Rambler 5ver, so discovering this forum is great. :Smile:

I'd like to ask a question of you guys with the bigger rigs, but firstly would like to explain my reasons for choosing the above combo, and whether you think they're sound.

I have a Class 1 licence from a previous existance and so, having done a lot of agency work, am used to driving big rigs etc., around the UK only, so confidence is not an issue. The Celtic Rambler is just short of 30', and the train length is approx. 40'. I would have preferred something a bit bigger, like the American imports, as the main thing that lets the CR down, in my view is the restricted height and overall size of the bedroom. As you know, some of the US rigs have the bedroom in a sideout. I also need an area I can use as a mini-office, as I will need to work while away.

My main concern is that I'd like to tour around Europe, but am worried about the practicalities of touring with anything bigger than the rig I'm looking at.

If I was looking to long-term at a particular location, then I'd have no hesitation to go bigger, but touring . . . ?

What do you guys think, is it a good idea to stick to this sort of size, and then maybe upgrade when we start to slow down a bit, and snowbird?

Cheers for any advice guys! :thumb:

Paul

Last edited:
K

kayzee bounder

Deleted User
Nozzsmoking question and Safetyman.

Hi all, first i must apologise to Safetyman for an earlier misquote i made in refering to "Jim" about using and setting up my 5th wheel :Doh:, in fact it was Safetyman's comment's i was refering to...SORRY MATE but either way i still haven't managed to beat your 12 minute set up time :whatthe: mind you i never will with the speed i do things at :winky:. Nozzingsmoking i can't offer you any experienced advice about touring 5th's because i haven't done any yet, what i can say is that like you i was a group 1 years ago but office bound for a long time since so i hadn't done any wagon driving for some years, only thing i noticed that i prefered in a wagon is being higher with better rear view mirrors, even with 2nd offset mirrors for turning i find being low a drawback...or maybe not as it makes me pay full attention when turning either forwards or reverse. One thing i want to do at Malvern is decide on a twin rear camera set-up but thats me. I consider the couple of trips i've made so far a learning experience but it is a build up to going into Europe and touring...so if you get there first tell me all :thumb:. what i can say is that i also have a 34' fleetwood Bounder A Class and ...well at the risk of incurring anybodies wrath, i much prefer the 5th :RollEyes:

K

kayzee bounder

Deleted User
Nozzsmoking question and Safetyman.

Hi all, first i must apologise to Safetyman for an earlier misquote i made in refering to "Jim" about using and setting up my 5th wheel :Doh:, in fact it was Safetyman's comment's i was refering to...SORRY MATE but either way i still haven't managed to beat your 12 minute set up time :whatthe: mind you i never will with the speed i do things at :winky:. Nozzingsmoking i can't offer you any experienced advice about touring 5th's because i haven't done any yet, what i can say is that like you i was a group 1 years ago but office bound for a long time since so i hadn't done any wagon driving for some years, only thing i noticed that i prefered in a wagon is being higher with better rear view mirrors, even with 2nd offset mirrors for turning i find being low a drawback...or maybe not as it makes me pay full attention when turning either forwards or reverse. One thing i want to do at Malvern is decide on a twin rear camera set-up but thats me. I consider the couple of trips i've made so far a learning experience but it is a build up to going into Europe and touring...so if you get there first tell me all :thumb:. what i can say is that i also have a 34' fleetwood Bounder A Class and ...well at the risk of incurring anybodies wrath, i much prefer the 5th :RollEyes:

K

kayzee bounder

Deleted User
er...!

Trust me...must have hit the button twice :Blush:

Kayzee the self taught twit

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Hi KB

Thanks for the reply. I notice the word Malvern cropping up in conversation. Is this a MH show? If so, could you tell me when this is on?

I notice there's a show at the Bath & West in September. Anyone know of any other shows, where I can look at 5th wheel rigs, that are upcoming, preferably in the South?

Cheers

Paul

K

kayzee bounder

Deleted User
Show.

Hello Nozzsmoking,
The Three Counties Showground at Malvern Worchester is the location of the Western Motorhome Show which starts this Friday (15th). It's a 3 day show for motorhomes, caravans etc., there will be display vehicles and trade stands for just about anything connected and there is entertainment on a "Western" theme as well. If you read the posts elsewhere on this site you will find more comment and info about it, but i have to say this will be my first time at such as show so everything i have written here is based on the shows advertising and comments i have read. There is a good sized contigent going from this site and although i won't be parking in the assigned area (my fault :Doh:) i do want to get the oppotunity to say hello to other members there. I pre booked but i don't know the situation for anyone trying to book now but there are day tickets available at the "Gate's". If you've got the time it sounds well worth a visit.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi, We are also owners of a fifth wheel with a dodge ram 3500 dually 4x4 with the 5.9 cummins engine. We were also at Billing this year (trading), with our Dodge and our Fleetwood Elkhorn truck camper.

With respect to the back axle, as far as we know, limited slip diff. is fitted as standard, but we can't be 100% sure on this, you could find out if you visit DieselRam.com - it's an american forum for dodge ram owners and they have helped us tremendously with any questions we need to know about the dodge.

We got stuck on wet grass with our Dodge Saturday and had to use the 4 wheel drive to escape but this was with no weight on the truck whatsoever. With the weight of the truck camper or fifth wheel, we probably would not have needed 4 wheel drive but it is for wet grass in particular that we insisted on a 4x4 truck, and also the independence to come and go without looking for assistance, when all said and done who would be there to help (we all know that a Land Rover will probably do the job but the dodge looks so big it would frighten a lot of people away).

We are also going to be at Malvern, Worcester with our Dodge and Demountable but with another club this time, we have joined the Adventure Dismountable and Fifth Wheel Club and it will be our first meeting with them, but we will come over to Motorhome Fun area to say hi to friends we met at the meet at Peterborough earlier this year.

Also hope to see fellow fifth wheelers.

Keep smiling

Nigel and Pamala - Sundowners

K

kayzee bounder

Deleted User
Ram 3500's

Hello Sundowner,
i was at billing and indeed i saw your 3500 demountable, looked good but i never did get to ask and maybe say hello so i will definately do so at Malvern. That question about traction sticks in my mind and being in several off road clubs i have seen the looks on one or two faces when i mentioned the possibility of ever needing a tug out, the diff lock idea seems to me to be a good idea but maybe an even better one is a decent front towing hitch as with the front skirt mine doesn't seem very realistic to use, i get the chance i'll chat to you and get your thoughts on this.

R

Rockie

Deleted User
New to all this !!

Hi all,
We like to travel, but until now have only had a few weeks each year. Now we are about to retire and need to think about a really long holiday (years not weeks) that will be affordable. We thought about a motorhome (easy to drive, but it seems crazy to tow a small car behind!), a big caravan (not so easy to drive) and are now thinking about a fifth wheeler which seems to be the best of both worlds (easy to drive and detachable)
Dilemma is whether to go for big (eg 28' x 7'6") & comfortable, or small (eg 24' x 7'2") & easier to drive ??? (we have ruled out 8' wide HUGE american models as unsuitable in UK & europe)
The technology also seems confusing. Electric hook-ups, batteries, inverters, solar panels, generators, gas/electric appliances such as fridges, heating, aircon, etc
Not to mention satellite TV, WiFi and satellite Internet connections, SatNav, etc.
It's all very confusing! Any advice?????
So far we have come across just two UK firms:
- The Fifth Wheel Company in North Wales who make their own fifth wheelers
- Calder Leisure near Edinburgh who import from America, but claim they are specially designed for UK & europe (only 7'6" wide)
Are there other specialist firms in the UK?

Advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rockie

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Rockie
8ft wide is not ideal, but lots of people (and us) learn to live with it. If you go onto ebay(USA) and search 5th wheel, you will find all sorts that are available. Don't worry about all the gadgets you will soon pick it all up!!we are still learning , but know more than we did this time last year!!!!
What is important is to match tow truck with 5er, it's not the gross weight thats so important but the PIN weight, you must check that the truck has enough PAYLOAD to CARRY the pin. I don't think that US trucks have TRAINWEIGHT marked but they all have all the other weights on the drivers door pillar. We are biased but believe that Cummins diesel is the best engine for the job!! We would also not consider a 2 wheel drive, we have a dually 8ft wide but that is not necessary, I think that a F150 is only suitable for the smallest US 5ers, but a 250 (or Dodge 2500) will tow most units,
best of luck with your hunt

K

kayzee bounder

Deleted User
Yankee 5'ths

Advice....hrmmmmmm! i almost agree with Sundowner but for the choice of engine size...if you're gonna do it then get the BIG brake horses, you may never need it but its sure nice to have if wanted and certainly i agree with the 4x4 set-up, having said that mine isn't, instead i have the Dodge 3500 limited slip diff set-up and so far thats worked out fine, when i hit a swamp i may rethink that but so far so good. Things like the Celtic Rambler U.K models are pretty nice but the yankee's are what they're growing up to be. Of course i'm biased because i have one but if you're seriously thinking of going something like "full time" then you will want all you can have and driving it is a simple " Get used to" exercise...have to say that's a Yank.:Cool:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Rockie

There is a fifth wheel company in Lincolnshire called Niche Marketing and also one in Suffolk called Cross Country UK.

We are "fivers" and have a Jayco Jayflight - US made, which is 27.5 ft. It's not huge and we pull it with a Mitsubishi truck with no problems. It has a large slide out which makes all the difference between this type of outfit and the UK caravan. We love it and find it does everything - and more - that we want.

If you're thinking of spending quite a bit of time in it I would think the 24 ft model might not be big enough. The best thing to do is visit shows etc and look at as many as you can. Also there are always several on EBAY UK for sale. If any are near enough to you, you can always ask to look.

As for the technology - it's a case of try it and see. Most things come with instructions and you soon get used to it.

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Dilemma is whether to go for big (eg 28' x 7'6") & comfortable, or small (eg 24' x 7'2") & easier to drive ??? (we have ruled out 8' wide HUGE american models as unsuitable in UK & europe)

Hi Rockie,

We too had the same dilemma, but after visiting the Malvern show last weekend we're definitely going bigger.

The first 5th wheeler we discovered was at the NEC show and this was a Celtic Rambler. The trailer is just over 27' long. We fell in love with this, but after looking at it again, plus other rigs at Malvern we've decided it's just too small. However, the fixtures & fittings are superb, and knock the American trailers for six.

What did it for us was a trailer by a company named RBD, (American), which I believe is made by Fleetwood. This one was 31' long, 8' wide and boy, what a huge difference in living space. Even room to set up a mini office, as I will need to work via the internet when touring.

My only concern is the 8' width. I've got a class 1 hgv licence from a previous working existence before starting my present business, so I'm used to squeezing big trucks in and out of tight spots, but my concerns are whether it's practical to tour the campsites of UK & Europe, and whether this extra width would cause problems negotiating many of the sites.

I'm hoping Sundowner may help to put my fears at rest on this issue. There is so much conflicting information when it comes to having a manageable size of vehicle.

Another couple of dealers you could check out are STT Group, based in Boston, Lincs and Cross Country UK, who are not too far away in Suffolk.

Sundowner said:
I think that a F150 is only suitable for the smallest US 5ers, but a 250 (or Dodge 2500) will tow most units

STT Group recommend a Dodge Ram 3500 for the RBD trailer, and I was wondering if you thought this larger vehicle is a necessity, or would a 2500 be still up to the job?

Don't know much about these US pickups, and also wondered what difference there'd be in running costs, e.g. fuel, tax & insurance between a 2500 and 3500.

Any advice much appreciated! :thumb:

Paul

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back