New Extra Workspace In Kitchen (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
hi all,
I thought I'd share my handy work with you.
With exception of the dinette and rear table (U shape rear lounge), my motorhome like many, has limited worktop space.
The hob has a glass lid cover, as does the sink, but hardly any work surface between. So I've made a folding worktop.

I bought a Pine shelf kit from B&Q and after testing nearly every colour of varnish, oil and wood dye on the shelf brackets, finally decided on antique pine as the nearest match to the internal fitted Memphis Cherry woodwork. (@Techno100 - your prediction of antique pine was correct!)
So, four coats later on the actual shelf and it looks a good match. Shelf brackets no longer needed.
I bought a Rakego folding bracket (used on boats for space saving) as the support bracket and used hinges between the shelf (now worktop) and a baton screwed and glued to the side of the oven outer wood wall.
With some trial and error positioning, I've managed to get a strong, stable and level worktop.
The Rakego is rated to around 60kg for a spread out weight on the worktop, which is about just right for my wife's Desperate Dan cow pie, so I'm sure we won't be having a disaster of the plates going through the floor when it's dished up!
All I need to add now is a rubber door stop/bung to the underneath, to keep the worktop vertically straight and protect the Rakego support screws from pulling out when collapsing down the worktop when not in use.
Photos as per below.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Let's hope gas doesn't escape via he screw holes from the oven! Ha ha

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nice job - I'm not sure I would have made it so big though as I'd be wary of putting anything heavy on the end part past the where the support arm stops which could cause a leverage effect and pull the screws out of the hinges as that will be your weakest point, not the support bracket itself.

Our Globecar already had a small hinged piece of worktop at the side but was held on by 2 hinges and a small plastic swing out brackets so I removed all of them and replaced with a couple of folding metal support brackets from O'Leary's which cost £24 for the pair (short length). They are quick release and I didn't need to pack out the side of the unit with timber which was good as I didn't have any spare worktop!

$_12.JPG

Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looking at your photos ... is it me or does your kitchen sink tap point upwards!!!! o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi minxygirl. Do you fix the top to that bracket so that it acts like a hinge as well as well as a support? Or do you still use hinges? I am looking to have the top hinge upwards to act as a wind guard for the hob's flames when the top is not being used and these brackets hinge down. Wonder if that will work.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
"Neat"..............(y) The only thing I would do is put a nice neat bit of edging on to stop things being slid/pushed off the edge..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi Peter, it is a bracket and hinge in one so by fitting 2 of them that was all I needed, no extra hinges. I did originally get one bracket to just use as a support with the intention of leaving the original hinges still attached but unfortunately found that when the bracket is extended to support the worktop it would have moved the top out slightly which normal hinges don't do so that wouldn't have worked, hence my having to use two.

You wouldn't be able to swing them up to use the worktop as a windbreak either and it would be a better idea to have an additional windbreak so you can still use the worktop as well - we have a small aluminium stove windshield similar to the below which comes in it's own bag (meant to be used with small camping stoves):

$_12.JPG

There are various types/sizes available on Ebay very cheaply:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...indshield.TRS0&_nkw=stove+windshield&_sacat=0

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Peter, it is a bracket and hinge in one so by fitting 2 of them that was all I needed, no extra hinges. I did originally get one bracket to just use as a support with the intention of leaving the original hinges still attached but unfortunately found that when the bracket is extended to support the worktop it would have moved the top out slightly which normal hinges don't do so that wouldn't have worked, hence my having to use two.

You wouldn't be able to swing them up to use the worktop as a windbreak either and it would be a better idea to have an additional windbreak so you can still use the worktop as well - we have a small aluminium stove windshield similar to the below which comes in it's own bag (meant to be used with small camping stoves):

$_12.JPG

There are various types/sizes available on Ebay very cheaply:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...indshield.TRS0&_nkw=stove+windshield&_sacat=0
Thanks for this. We already have a small piece of glass fixed to the wall that acts as windbreak, which is only needed when the door is open. I could keep that in place, but it would get in the way when you want slide a pan to the hob from the extended top. My hob is next to the door and the extended top covers the door, so the door would always be closed when the top is down, in which case we won't need a windbreak.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Nice job - I'm not sure I would have made it so big though as I'd be wary of putting anything heavy on the end part past the where the support arm stops which could cause a leverage effect and pull the screws out of the hinges as that will be your weakest point, not the support bracket itself.

Our Globecar already had a small hinged piece of worktop at the side but was held on by 2 hinges and a small plastic swing out brackets so I removed all of them and replaced with a couple of folding metal support brackets from O'Leary's which cost £24 for the pair (short length). They are quick release and I didn't need to pack out the side of the unit with timber which was good as I didn't have any spare worktop!

$_12.JPG

Broken Link Removed
Thanks Minxygirl
The end edge beyond the support is designed to take 30kg and as part of the design, the baton is required to help counter balance the worktop and avoids the worktop pulling out the fixings/screws. It's all in the design ( Rakego on YouTube)
I looked at the brackets like you've got but didn't want two supports when one can do the same job. Plus without the baton, there's a gap between existing worktop and the folded worktop, which I personally didn't want.
Each to their own I suppose.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Looking at your photos ... is it me or does your kitchen sink tap point upwards!!!! o_O
It's part of the design of the tap.
The end part of the tap twists 360degrees so you can turn the spout upwards when not in use to avoid any drips onto the worktop.

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
32640163688_0164380c56.jpg

I have a 1991 Hymer 534 and also want to create some folding counter top extensions. Where to find a good color match for the brown sides of the kitchen?

Is it better to get a solid piece of wood, or MDF with veneer, or just a piece of flooring?

Flooring would be the thinnest so juts out less when folded, and perhaps easier to find the right color.
You won't be able to screw though the thin flooring but I'd imagine Command Strips or double-sided tape should do it.

Found these brackets on Amazon with pretty good reviews.

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Where to get this table bracket for a removable table? (skip to 2:45 of this video).

I want to attach this bracket to the outside of my van and have a table clip into that. If I only put a light weight on the table (e.g. laptop) could I do without the supporting leg?

I found the bracket on eBay US for silly money (

Ebay UK has a similar one but I feel like it wouldn't work as well as the surface area is smaller. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/331888315867

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What camper/MH do you have?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back