New engine needed for Hymer B544 1992 (1 Viewer)

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
i think before you make any decisions on which way to go, it might be worth investigating exactly what has caused the engine failure in the first place. it sounds to me that there might be a bit more to the story than meets the eye and this could help with your choice of rebuilding or replacing the engine .assuming that YOU checked the oil level when you got the van[2months earlier ?] and again before you lent the vehicle out, if you never noticed any oil on the floor then we can eliminate a MAJOR leak eg rusted out sump pan etc , so for the engine to end up with no oil pressure it could be that the oil pump failed and there will be oil still in the sump, or if as you say the engine burnt it and used all the oil, then it would be nigh on impossible to NOT NOTICE 5/6 litres of oil smoking its way out of the exhaust pipe as the van drove down the road [this would not happen overnight !]. if the engine is a turbo one, then it could be that the oil has been sucked out through a worn/blown turbo ,this can happen a lot quicker but again the driver could never say he didnt see anything ! perhaps the most important piece of info you need is how long did they keep driving after the oil light came on ? if the van was pulled up quick enough and not allowed to seize, then there might be a chance of saving what you have . it might mean a replacement turbo and big end shells etc but this could possibly be done in situ . a sudden drop in oil pressure does not automatically wreck a engine but carrying on and ignoring the red light does !! good luck garry

OP
OP
A

Aye Mya

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
A class motorhome
Exp
New
i think before you make any decisions on which way to go, it might be worth investigating exactly what has caused the engine failure in the first place. it sounds to me that there might be a bit more to the story than meets the eye and this could help with your choice of rebuilding or replacing the engine .assuming that YOU checked the oil level when you got the van[2months earlier ?] and again before you lent the vehicle out, if you never noticed any oil on the floor then we can eliminate a MAJOR leak eg rusted out sump pan etc , so for the engine to end up with no oil pressure it could be that the oil pump failed and there will be oil still in the sump, or if as you say the engine burnt it and used all the oil, then it would be nigh on impossible to NOT NOTICE 5/6 litres of oil smoking its way out of the exhaust pipe as the van drove down the road [this would not happen overnight !]. if the engine is a turbo one, then it could be that the oil has been sucked out through a worn/blown turbo ,this can happen a lot quicker but again the driver could never say he didnt see anything ! perhaps the most important piece of info you need is how long did they keep driving after the oil light came on ? if the van was pulled up quick enough and not allowed to seize, then there might be a chance of saving what you have . it might mean a replacement turbo and big end shells etc but this could possibly be done in situ . a sudden drop in oil pressure does not automatically wreck a engine but carrying on and ignoring the red light does !! good luck garry
I'd had a service which replaced all oil filters and cost me ÂŁ195 so I would like to think that the oil was topped up! So yes, it looks like it was 5/6 litres of oil quite quickly.
I'm having it stripped first to find out what happened.
Thanks for all advice everyone.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Hi all,
I've just found out that I need a new engine for my Hymer that I bought 2 months ago.
I was used once and for some reason burnt oil and the people I lent it to let to run out without realising. Now there is no oil pressure.
Any advice?

(never a borrower or a lender be) my mum always said that.
I hope they are going to pay or at least help with the cost.
And that it gets sorted quickly as the summer is almost here:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back