New Driving Regulations In France From July 1, 2015 (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Frankly most of it is nonsense. It's hard to present any argument that would allow any use of a phone when driving if such use involved looking at or handling the phone but there are many much more dangerous distractions than talking hands free that no-one would consider making illegal. Like child or in some cases adult passengers. Laws against loud music are unenforceable except at low speed in an urban environment. I know many drivers who I would trust to do any of the above whilst remaining safe. And I know many others who are unsafe simply driving with no distractions.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Now..........is this why, as funsters tell us, " the roads in france are empty?

:whistle::rolleyes:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The use of phones in vehicles should be banned completely
We have all done it
Can you remember the road or anything about driving while on the phone?
No
Most phone calls are not important but answering one could kill someone.. And it might even be you or your family
Until it is banned completely we will still do it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The use of phones in vehicles should be banned completely
We have all done it
Can you remember the road or anything about driving while on the phone?

yes of course. the road is my number one focus, the conversation is my number 2 focus. When I am in the office I generally am juggling simultaneous calls, emails and people visiting in person and will still hear if a staff member across the room says something they shouldn't to a customer.. it is not hard to learn to concentrate intently on everything around you..

I admit not everyone can do it and some people will think they can when they can't but then they will be driving without due care and attention or whatever.. it doesn't need a nanny state law that penalises those of us who can and do make safe use of the technology available

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
so I have to pull in to eat a sandwich?.....the audacity! the effrontery! what is the world coming to....what about my human rights! next it will be cctv in the cab monitoring you:)

Pasty is ok (y)

I would agree with all of this.

Where do we draw the line between talking (or god forbid arguing) with the wife and talking on the phone ?
Why is hands free through the radio speakers an acceptable method and using a one ear speaker is not?
I cannot understand why the French think its an issue when the UK government is quite happy with it.

I would argue that we are all guilty of being on auto pilot at times, especially on motorways and a conversation even on the phone will re-focus your mind.

No difference between the two.
Because you can still here the surrounding disaster unfolding, whereas with one ear blocked you'll miss something vital.
They need the money.
Yes we are but whether a call would re-focus or focus only on the call is another question.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Most sensible to apply the headphone law to cyclists. How many neanderthal cyclists have you seen wearing headphones completely oblivious to traffic ???? I have seen hundreds.

Interesting one this. When wearing a helmet, which I normally do, I cannot hear traffic approaching from behind, the wind / air speed drowns out any noise when above 15mph - lower if cycling into a headwind. I don't normally use headphones but I have occasionally and it makes no difference to my awareness of traffic.

Indeed one of the reasons that I put off always wearing a helmet is how it takes away your awareness of traffic coming from behind.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
it is not hard to learn to concentrate intently on everything around you..

You obviously never had someone like MY Mum on the phone!....you can't concentrate !!!If I don't want to die , I better not answer! BUT.... the main problem is when I have my ear plug on, I don't look at my phone , I'm watching the road , therefore I answer.... and get trapped . Then I just try to stop the conversation as fast as I can .

Why do I have my ear plug in the first place I bet you'll ask.
Firstly I'm on duty at all times (up to 10.00pm)
Secondly, I'm very very often driving on my own or with babies. I set up the emergency number and this way I know if anything happens I just double click my ear plug and will get help quicker.
I think I'm now going to use my sat nav and Bluetooth and see how things can be worked out!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Caerus

Free Member
Dec 30, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Travel Van
Exp
Once saw a police officer toss his mobile phone he was using onto the passenger seat and brake HARD for a car in front that had stopped on a zebra to allow a woman with a pushchair to cross. Thought I was about to witness something horrific. Seen plenty of misuse since. Prime example is people travelling slowly in the middle lane, usually texting and oblivious to traffic travelling faster on their near side. Must take another tablet! Oh when will cars and phones be fitted with inhibitors that mean you have to stop and get out?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Is listening through an ear piece more distracting than listening through the radio speakers?

Probably not but with ear piece in you can't hear noises from outside the car. I don't have the radio on either as a rule - prefer not to have any distractions.

With a passenger you can tell them to shut up when you need to concentrate - most can read the road anyway and do keep quiet when required.

If its so important, leave a recorded message saying you are driving at the moment and will contact them later. Safe, sensible, simple.

That's what I have.

"Sorry I am unable to take your call at the moment. I may be driving or otherwise unable to speak with you. Please leave a message and I will call you back when it is legal and safe for me to do so."

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
We had an instruction that anyone caught using a mobile phone in a Thames Water van would be sacked no ifs or buts hands free or not

Neil

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
And yet solo Police Officers have to listen to and answer their radios whilst driving. Double crewed vehicles means that the passenger can handle comms. Not possible solo.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I turn my hearing aids off so that I don't have to listen to my wife trying to compete with Sally Satnav.....Is that legal? :think:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
When I am driving, I answer the phone while going round corners, on a motorway, in town with no problem whatsoever, as I have a special phone answering device.............my wife :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My boss answers when driving.....kerbs, footpaths, oncoming traffic.....nothing holds any fear for me anymore.

Worst moments are when he's rabbitting on the phone and has to change gear.
Gearstick in left hand, phone in right hand...and hopes the van can steer itself, even in bends.

And he has been stopped and fined but he doesnt seem to care....but he is a terrible driver at any time.
I often think driving and breathing at the same time is beyond his ability.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The use of a radio in my van is simply addressed, The previous owner took out the Ford Radio(fine bit of simple equipment by Sony) and replaced it with one that to this day I cannot use because the buttons are sensor points and the lettering so small I cannot read them except with a magnifying glass. Answer NEVER turn the damn thing on. NEVER Heard it properly at all.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I'm intrigued that it's apparently illegal to do something that "will interfere with hearing normal road noises". Is it impossible for a deaf person to get a driving licence in France?

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
The mobile phone thing certainly gets things going, the lid is off the box and they are here to stay whether you like it or not, some people exercise care when using them and some do not.

I spend a lot of time behind the wheel, mostly driving white vans and I am often bemused as I sit behind slow, meandering cars where the driver spends an inordinate amount of time with his or her head at 90 degrees to the road in front of them, it as though they cannot conduct a conversation with their passenger without turning to face them. Then there is the harassed mum or dad with a screaming brat sat in the back of the car.

I remember seeing a driver throw both his hands in the air and shaking them in a triumphant salute as an Arsenal player rifled a winning shot past a Chelsea goalkeeper once (it was a few years ago), we were both (obviously) listening to Radio Five whilst humming down the inside lane of the M6 at a generous 70mph on a quiet Sunday afternoon (I've already said it was a few years ago). I was pleased as well but not pleased enough to do that.

I often wonder about the kind of driver who is merrily driving along for mile after mile with their door mirrors folded in, you often see them on dual carriageways or in the middle lane of a motorway (how the hell did they get out there), I am not suggesting that it is always all right to use a mobile phone whilst driving but fellow passengers (especially screaming kids), listening to the radio and all sorts of other stuff are right up there with phones, not to mention the young woman I once saw at the side of the road just outside Rome wearing an outfit that even Cher (sorry don't know the names of any more contemporary vamps) would have described as far too revealing.

I remember reading a letter to the editor of our local newspaper a few years ago about a chap who was apparently aghast to have seen 9 drivers talking on their mobile phones during his 17 mile drive into Hereford, I was similarly aghast that he had been staring through car windscreens instead of looking where he was going.

Meki

Free Member
May 18, 2016
The Earth
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
There is never a valid reason to be on the phone whilst driving, if your business can't survive without you being in contact 24/7 you're running your business badly.

A couple of days ago I witnessed a 4 x 4 run into the back of another car, the road was clear, the weather bright and sunny, within a 50mph limit, both cars were at or near the limit, the car in front slowed down for a bend the 4 x 4 following didn't, he was on the phone.

In all my years repping and running my own companies I have never once had a compliant about missing a call.

Phones should be on silence and hidden from view.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
As this is my normal hands free method and now illegal. What do you do?
I got a bluetooth hands free CD Radio with usb and aux ports fitted for under £150. now I can choose my music and answer the phone with no problems

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
My boss answers when driving.....kerbs, footpaths, oncoming traffic.....nothing holds any fear for me anymore.

Worst moments are when he's rabbitting on the phone and has to change gear.
Gearstick in left hand, phone in right hand...and hopes the van can steer itself, even in bends.

And he has been stopped and fined but he doesnt seem to care....but he is a terrible driver at any time.
I often think driving and breathing at the same time is beyond his ability.
hey pappa does he read things on this forum. ?
why are you at home?

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
And yet solo Police Officers have to listen to and answer their radios whilst driving. Double crewed vehicles means that the passenger can handle comms. Not possible solo.

I asked my son that question and he said we are trained to do that - you are not!!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I asked my son that question and he said we are trained to do that - you are not!!
Sorry!

That sounds quite arrogant on his part. Does that suggest that it is OK for him to answer his phone when in his private car because "he has been trained.

I was also "trained" as an emergency response driver but wouldn't have given such an answer, unless very tongue in cheek.:unsure:

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
There is never a valid reason to be on the phone whilst driving, if your business can't survive without you being in contact 24/7 you're running your business badly.

Pretty sweeping statement that one, I don't know whether you have any experience of running a one man business recently but times have changed, for many small businesses it is imperative to be in touch all of the time.

The Internet and instant communications have changed everything, for many small businesses who cannot afford to staff offices etc there is no option but to be able to answer the phone - voicemail is not the solution, most enquirers simply hang up and move onto the next company listed on Google - when my business occasionally has to switch to voicemail we see our enquiries tumble.

The biggest contract my company (a one man band in those days) ever won was taken when I answered the phone on the Autoroute on a Saturday afternoon on my way back from an event in Cannes, that one contract was enough to grow our business to the stage where we do have the phones covered 24/7.

A few months ago I too witnessed an accident, I was following a young woman driving a VW Golf at a moderate speed, she started to turn into a sharp right hand bend, got it all wrong and somehow managed to get her two near side wheels perched on top of a thickish winter edge, I had to gingerly open the drivers door and wedge it into the tarmac to stop the car tipping over as I got her out, when this tearful young woman emerged it was immediately apparent that she was very pregnant, fortunately for me because I usually run like hell at the sight of a woman crying a middle aged lady arrived and ushered her into her car before asking me to return to the VW Golf to retrieve a handbag with a phone it in order to enable her to contact her husband, I got it, she turned the phone on and rang him and I won't bore you any more, there was a happy ending.

Thing is - she wasn't using a mobile phone, she just got it wrong, was it the phone call that caused your 4x4 driver to crash - you don't actually know, he may have crashed anyway.

We've all seen the crazy idiot juggling with a phone to their ear as they drive along or the nutter sending texts whilst they weave along the road, huge numbers of drivers use phones whilst they are driving, the vast majority do so sensibly and most of us don't even know that they are on the phone.

It's rather like lowering the drink drive limit, does anybody really believe that lowering the limit will stop the maniac who has a skinful and jumps behind the wheel from continuing to do so.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Sorry!

That sounds quite arrogant on his part. Does that suggest that it is OK for him to answer his phone when in his private car because "he has been trained.

I was also "trained" as an emergency response driver but wouldn't have given such an answer, unless very tongue in cheek.:unsure:
Are we talking about france here or the UK?
In the UK most police cars are fitted with hands free radio comms.
(Radios are not part of the law that prohibits mobile phones but airwave radios are mobile phones and therefore require hands free facilities). Police provide no training for people to drive and use radios so I'd imagine the answer was tongue in cheek.

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
If you are on holiday, in France, I would guess that most people would have a passenger , if it's that important get them to answer it ! I have been in reps cars whilst they are on the phone, when he came off the phone, he says he missed 3 turns where he should have turned off, says it all !! They are very dangerous and should be banned full stop in all moving vehicles, if you had an accident and injured someone or even killed them,you would never forgive yourself, when I call our staff,around 30 of them with mobiles, if they are driving, I just say call me back when you have stopped and hang up, I would not want to be talking to one have them, and he as an accident whilst I was on the phone with them !!

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
so I have to pull in to eat a sandwich?.....the audacity! the effrontery! what is the world coming to....what about my human rights! next it will be cctv in the cab monitoring you:)

It is one law in this country that bugs me only because it is considered acceptable to get a cigarette out, light it, smoke it using one hand, the same and maybe more so with a pipe or cigar. Mind opening the sandwich packet is challenging.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
What I'm wondering is will they apply the new law to the riders of the Tour De France as they all have ear pieces and some have two way radio

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back