New Dover Road Canterbury waste disposal query (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
So I’m at the new Dover Road Canterbury Kent park-and-ride and had a great night last night. I find the facilities but I’m a bit uncomfortable throwing black waste down the grid but I’ve been too graphic I don’t want to leave lumps behind. I’ve never come across a combined blacklist grey waste grid before how normal are these?

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
I wouldn't use it. Whenever I've been at Canterbury I've been en route to the tunnel and I've emptied at the more hygienic facilities at the fuel station in Cité Europe.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just lift and pull the grid with the strap I put on only need to slide it a few inches to empty your waste then pull back what’s not hygienic than that they even have marked separate fresh and waste taps marked seen a lot worse in France

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
2105B54C-C160-4876-8669-08AC713F0124.jpeg

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Well that is the current state of it and Im pretty sure looking at that no ones using the strap. I didnt have gloves with me, so will put some in the van for when I come across a similar situation. Needless to say Im not convinced the strap (looking like its already soaked in piss) idea is particularly user friendly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Well that is the current state of it and Im pretty sure looking at that no ones using the strap. I didnt have gloves with me, so will put some in the van for when I come across a similar situation. Needless to say Im not convinced the strap (looking like its already soaked in piss) idea is particularly user friendly.
Get onto Canterbury council with your thoughts and if more did something might get done only needs a 3inch hole cut in it moaning on here will get nothing done

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
When using some aires I have often emptied the cassette, then filled it with the water out of the grey tank, used that for a swill round and then emptied to help clear and left over "deposits".. (y)
Also have a fold up bucket thats used for grey waste while on a rally and also doubles as a rinse aid..

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
The strap has always been grubby, but I just use disposable gloves to lift it to one side.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Why is that I always get an itchy nose, or a sticky eyelash when I put disposable gloves on, to empty the cassette?
Sometimes a sleeve is just not adequate in these urgent situations, especially with the nose I inherited. :giggle:
It may well be psychosomatic but it always happens somehow.
LES

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just lift and pull the grid with the strap I put on only need to slide it a few inches to empty your waste then pull back what’s not hygienic than that they even have marked separate fresh and waste taps marked seen a lot worse in France

Well done for putting the strap on to replace the old worn out bit of rope that had been there for years.

I always wondered who had done it.

It is a pity somebody has not used it - see post #8, but maybe some people have not come across a removable grid before.

It has to be a strong grid in case someone driving to empty grey waste drives over the hole by mistake.

I have always taken an active interest in ND P+R MH facility to the extent of meeting with Colin the Canterbury City Parking Manager who wanted MHomers' views on facilities to provide at the new, bigger MH facilities planned for Wincheap P+R. He is a guy definitely on our side, as are all the team that staff that P+R, one of whom came out of retirement because he liked working for Colin - says a lot.

Geoff

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Why is that I always get an itchy nose, or a sticky eyelash when I put disposable gloves on, to empty the cassette?
Sometimes a sleeve is just not adequate in these urgent situations, especially with the nose I inherited. :giggle:
It may well be psychosomatic but it always happens somehow.
LES

I think it only happens to people who can spell psychosomatic. :LOL:

With that grid I just wrap a wad of kitchen roll round one hand for the strap. Other hand free for itchy nose. No, don't thank me. ;)

Geoff

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well done for putting the strap on to replace the old worn out bit of rope that had been there for years.

I always wondered who had done it.

It is a pity somebody has not used it - see post #8, but maybe some people have not come across a removable grid before.

It has to be a strong grid in case someone driving to empty grey waste drives over the hole by mistake.

I have always taken an active interest in ND P+R MH facility to the extent of meeting with Colin the Canterbury City Parking Manager who wanted MHomers' views on facilities to provide at the new, bigger MH facilities planned for Wincheap P+R. He is a guy definitely on our side, as are all the team that staff that P+R, one of whom came out of retirement because he liked working for Colin - says a lot.

Geoff
Colin was always helpful when I ran my website.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
On any floor black drain you have to remove the grid. I'v berated people there emptying cassettes over the grate before . Why would you even think that was what you do??Defies belief really.:unsure:
It can't be any easier with a cassette. Think yourselves lucky that you do not have a black waste tank with the outlet 6" behind the rear wheel , where the grating has to be lifted before you even reverse over to drai, as part of the wheel blocks lifting it after you are in position.
Get onto Canterbury council with your thoughts and if more did something might get done only needs a 3inch hole cut in it moaning on here will get nothing done
It would collapse when people drove over it.& still has to be lifted for tank emptying.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
It was the same as that pic last time i was there , as i carry rubber gauntlet gloves not a problem and ended up getting my hose out and swilling it all down , helped my OCD.:giggle:

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Im not "moaning on here" I was just asking how common these are as not come across it before :rolleyes:
And I've already emailed them, both to praise their attitude to motorhomes but also about the grate. (y)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
this is nearly a toilet thread 🤔

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not common in uk as not many councils have parking but don’t use the aire at saint-Romain-de Colbosc in France small raised dump with grid concreted in with multi sticks for poking and tap for rinsing a bit low over the dump so most French use fresh tap.😝

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
On any floor black drain you have to remove the grid. I'v berated people there emptying cassettes over the grate before . Why would you even think that was what you do??Defies belief really.:unsure:
It can't be any easier with a cassette. Think yourselves lucky that you do not have a black waste tank with the outlet 6" behind the rear wheel , where the grating has to be lifted before you even reverse over to drai, as part of the wheel blocks lifting it after you are in position.

It would collapse when people drove over it.& still has to be lifted for tank emptying.
A macerated black tank would go straight down there with the grid in place no problem and no mess, then just follow through with the grey.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
A macerated black tank would go straight down there with the grid in place no problem and no mess, then just follow through with the grey.
But it wasn't a macerated tank .Just a straight 3" slide outlet.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
LOL, thankfully I've never been drawn there
H&S are closing them down ---====================they found a 6" mouse in the kitchen 🐭

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back