New Dometic fridge with missing shelf (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Try the link above, the one I posted earlier has been doctored but I don't think they can change this one ........but I might be wrong :sneaky:
afraid not.. copy pasted from your link

• Easy-care surfaces
  • Broken Link Removed
  • Ergonomic door shelves with leakage protection

OP
OP
Vic. Parsons.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
afraid not.. copy pasted from your link

• Easy-care surfaces
  • Broken Link Removed
  • Ergonomic door shelves with leakage protection

That's strange, it still works for me when I click the link above.
Anyway, the screenshot above says it all.....unless Obriens can hack MHF and do some photoshoppery. :D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That's strange, it still works for me when I click the link above.
Anyway, the screenshot above says it all.....unless Obriens can hack MHF and do some photoshoppery. :D
I think you will be seeing a cached page.. clear browsing history and cookies then try

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vic. Parsons.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
I think you will be seeing a cached page.. clear browsing history and cookies then try
If I do that, I;ll loose my link to the original page so I'll keep the cookies for now. I assume the screenshot is showing correctly apart from being for the 8555.
Here's the correct screen shot for the 8505:

Screenshot_2018-08-14 Dometic RMD8505 3-way Campervan Fridge Freezer by OBriens RMD 8505.png

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just been out and had a look in our 8505 and it has two full depth shelves and a shallower one at the top where the evaporator is plus the bottom shelf over the salad drawer.
We haven't added anything from new (apart from copious quantities of wine and beer) but it is a Carthago.
Perhaps Carthago owners are thought to need extra shelves to stack the champagne bottles. :cheers: :reel:

Richard.

Sep 23, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I think it’s a disgrace! We bought a £80k Hymer fitted with a dometic RMD8505 and only had 2 shelves. Our previous Pilote had all 3, but that was 2 years ago. Clearly Dometic have cut back and omitted the extra shelf. Called leisure spares direct and quoted £49 plus £5 P&P for the shelf..!
Don’t get me wrong,it’s not the £50, I can afford that. It’s the principal and also the fact that the shelf must cost no more than a fiver to manufacture and that’s being genoerous. We’re being ripped off and I don’t like it!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
being solid wouldn't allow air to circulate though

We have this shelf over the veg/salad drawers, i.e. Replacing the glass shelf they have, as said it has worked a treat in our fridge. If wanted you could always drill more holes, but we haven't found that to be necessary.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
£50 for a plastic shelf???
Disgraceful price for something that should be nearer to a fiver.
Dometic really are taking the p!** on a fridge that costs a whopping £1400 and should cost less that £400.

Richard. (almost 40 yrs selling fridges)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
It very clearly states any extra shelves are OPTIONAL EXTRAS.

advertising pictures of cars show people inside but you don't actually get the people.
You do if you buy it in Calais!:whistle:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Interesting to read the cooling specifications as it says fridge +7 and freeezer -12
Wouldn't keep my ice lollies frozen (n)
My last van at the Hab check was -17° on the freezer and +2° on the fridge. Pleased wit( that

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My last van at the Hab check was -17° on the freezer and +2° on the fridge. Pleased wit( that
I assume it was empty when you took it in for the hab check.
They work fine when empty but utter rubbish when you start loading them up.

OP
OP
Vic. Parsons.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
I think it’s a disgrace! We bought a £80k Hymer fitted with a dometic RMD8505 and only had 2 shelves. Our previous Pilote had all 3, but that was 2 years ago. Clearly Dometic have cut back and omitted the extra shelf. Called leisure spares direct and quoted £49 plus £5 P&P for the shelf..!
Don’t get me wrong,it’s not the £50, I can afford that. It’s the principal and also the fact that the shelf must cost no more than a fiver to manufacture and that’s being genoerous. We’re being ripped off and I don’t like it!

This is why I started the thread, to get an idea of how people felt about the missing shelf and to find out if anyone got one without paying silly money for it. It seems most would have prefered to have the extra shelf at the outset to be able to utilize all of the advertised 160ltr capacity.Which you can't do without the third shelf.
Given the low cost of production of the shelf, it seems a poor and somewhat illogical choice by Dometic to not include it at the factory. I'm sure most people buying a new appliance from them wouldn't mind a correspondingly slightly higher price at the outset if it included the third shelf rather than have the hassle of ordering one to complete the fridge. Then, the customer can choose how to utilize the 160ltr capacity by leaving all three shelves in or removing one if they really have the need to stand 2ltr bottles upright as Dometic suggest.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back