New digital speed cameras warning (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
In Dorset there is an ongoing process to update all the old film speed cameras to digital. Also happening in other areas too, but I only know about the local ones. The warning is that these new digital Redflex cameras are much more capable. Being digital they combine processes and can catch speeders in both directions and also operate as average speed cameras where 2 or more are fitted on a stretch of road, even different side of the road. They no longer need road markings and communicate with the central server immediately using 4g and 5g where available

Oh and one camera can simultaneously monitor 6 lanes and identify each vehicle speeding or jumping a red light or stopping in a hatched box.

Be warned technology is replacing the possibility of getting away with speeding. Spoke to a guy who knows such things and he says the ability for ANPR is off on most of these cameras, but can be done at the press of a button on the server

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I find that instead of cruise control, I am constantly using the speed limiter function on my vehicles. The safe way so you can keep your eyes on the road, rather than having to focus on your speedo in case you have a heavy left foot.

But it does seem that increasingly the road planners are doing everything possible to reduce speeds. Speed limits are no longer implemented just in the name of safety, but also now simply to limit traffic flows in the name of environmentalism. And don't get me started on how some traffic lights seem to get replaced with the aim of blocking traffic. It seems the pelican crossing's days are numbered being replaced with lights that keep traffic stopped even when most pedestrians will have long since cleared the way.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
People will speed unless there is enforcement just as there are those who will steal, rape and any other sort of lawbreaking! If it takes automation to do it, due to the lack of police, then that's what is sensible.

I am seeing an awful lot of unmarked police cars stopping vehicles for one reason or another in Devon on the major roads and I predominantly drive between Torbay, Exeter, Plymouth, Newton Abbot. High performance Skodas and BMW's so be warned.

The old style camera on the A380 Exeter bound on the left hand bend about a mile before Telegraph Hill where one can regularly see deer at dusk on the grass verge has now been removed in recent roadworks.

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Better advice would be to tell folk not to speed :)
I am not the sort of person who feels the need to tell others what they should do or not. I am purely offering advice to the members here that there are new cameras to watch out for. It is down to them what they do about the advice

Being a race instructor, you are well aware that speed does not kill, it is lack of ability to drive safely

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I am not the sort of person who feels the need to tell others what they should do or not. I am purely offering advice to the members here that there are new cameras to watch out for. It is down to them what they do about the advice

Being a race instructor, you are well aware that speed does not kill, it is lack of ability to drive safely
top notch driving skills will not protect the pedestrians and bike rider if you take formula 1 as the pinnacle of driving skills they still crash

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
top notch driving skills will not protect the pedestrians and bike rider if you take formula 1 as the pinnacle of driving skills they still crash
formula 1 is hardly the pinnacle of driving ability, and any pedestrians and cyclists on the race track should not be there

Driving skills include knowing if or when it is safe to drive fast. Knowing several emergency services personnel they say most accidents are caused by lack of care and attention and poor maintenance of vehicles

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
formula 1 is hardly the pinnacle of driving ability, and any pedestrians and cyclists on the race track should not be there

Driving skills include knowing if or when it is safe to drive fast. Knowing several emergency services personnel they say most accidents are caused by lack of care and attention and poor maintenance of vehicles

I donā€™t disagree, however in my experience crashes at the speed limit result in everyone walking away....

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
I find that instead of cruise control, I am constantly using the speed limiter function on my vehicles. The safe way so you can keep your eyes on the road, rather than having to focus on your speedo in case you have a heavy left foot.

But it does seem that increasingly the road planners are doing everything possible to reduce speeds. Speed limits are no longer implemented just in the name of safety, but also now simply to limit traffic flows in the name of environmentalism. And don't get me started on how some traffic lights seem to get replaced with the aim of blocking traffic. It seems the pelican crossing's days are numbered being replaced with lights that keep traffic stopped even when most pedestrians will have long since cleared the way.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Thats why its 30 in a built up area give the vulnerable a chance to survive.

I am well aware of that! My point was that pedestrians and cyclists have little chance of survival on any speed limits other than those at 20 and 30mph. i.e. 40MPH and above!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
thinking they have been trying to slow us down since the red flag

i think in most cases
you seem to speed less
as your years advance

:whistle2: :blush:
I used to drive up to 40,000 miles a year for work, I never had a speeding ticket and still got around my calls, apart from doing 80 on a motorway I didn't speed, and most people did 80 on motorways back then

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We've had these for some time, driving can be a challenge. It all depends on the speed limit signage. If this is bad or non existent as it can be, then driving concentration can be distracted while spending too much time looking for camera's. I have some tech assistance but you still have to keep your eye on the ball. Points last 3/4 years which is a long time when driving every day. I probably drive through 100 cameras every day which becomes a pain.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I find it strange that my now ā€œsedateā€ driving style and use of the speed limiter button does not seem to make my journey time significantly slower compared to my ā€œI have to get to my appointmentā€ style driving from my peripatetic working days. Itā€™s a fact that you have to double your speed to halve your journey time - so the faster you go, the faster you have to go to save less time! Iā€™ll finish moralising now and try and keep my 53 year old clean licence intact!

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Digital speed cameras, linked to the new breed of road signs, then linked to your onboard ECU will resolve the cost of enforcement.
Less mouths to feed, more cheap ( relatively) technology means manpower saved.
Unfortunately making progress has been taught by those that have little ability to make sound judgements, and interpreted by inexperienced drivers as a target speed not a limit.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
In Dorset there is an ongoing process to update all the old film speed cameras to digital. Also happening in other areas too, but I only know about the local ones. The warning is that these new digital Redflex cameras are much more capable. Being digital they combine processes and can catch speeders in both directions and also operate as average speed cameras where 2 or more are fitted on a stretch of road, even different side of the road. They no longer need road markings and communicate with the central server immediately using 4g and 5g where available

Oh and one camera can simultaneously monitor 6 lanes and identify each vehicle speeding or jumping a red light or stopping in a hatched box.

Be warned technology is replacing the possibility of getting away with speeding. Spoke to a guy who knows such things and he says the ability for ANPR is off on most of these cameras, but can be done at the press of a button on the server
What is the problem?

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Everybody speeds at some point only the unlucky ones get caught.

I think it comes down to where you speed.

If you speed a bit on a motorway in good conditions, then so be it. If you get caught then of course you deserve points / fine.

But if you speed in towns, past schools, in densely populated areas, then you need the book thrown at you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back