New Decals (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Hi everyone

Looking for a bit of advice, I have asked a company to price replacing the decals on my i890 due to one side having water stains and the other now covered in scratches from incompetent washing, (not me)I ve tried using a v light swirl mark remover, but it isn’t having the desired effect.

Anyway they have said 3 working days for removal and replacement, it sounds a little excessive to me, not an expert so can only go on their estimate.
Does this sound realistic?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Sounds expensive but depends what they charge per day, it takes time to get the old one off so perhaps you could do that yourself. I replaced mine not long since and it cost me £25

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Is it just a hairdryer to remove or heat gun?

To big to tackle on my own and it’s full replacement due to possible matching issues

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I used a low powered warm air thing but it’s the sticky stuff left behind that’s difficult, it came off eventually with white spirit. My panel van was simple compared to yours though.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Three of us with no experience and a lot of faffing about measuring did four sides of our covered trailer and three sides of my Vauxhall Zafira in an afternoon.

decals3.jpg

decals1.jpg

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Nice Job

I think the problem of me attempting it, if I balls it up, get air bubbles or a crease I wont be able to live with it and end up ripping it of again.
The only reason I'm looking at replacing them is because my OCD draws my eye to the scratches and water marks.
My misses reckons she can't even see them.:whatthe:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The guys where we had ours printer said the way we put them on was to get the decal positioned with the backing in place, use a few bits of masking tape around the edge to mark it's position, take it off and wet the surface it's going on with soapy water, then strip some of the backing from one end, re-position on the masking tape guides and squidgy on the decal to remove air while peeling back the backing paper. The soapy water allows the adhesive to stick but not full at first which allows you to force out any bubbles to the edges. once your happy with position and and bubble free then from the middle you squidgy out the excess soapy water to the edges and the adhesive grips. Any rogue bubbles can then be pricked with a pin to release the trapped air and squidgy down.
A little simplistic but that's about the gist of how we did it.

Here's an example of one of the many guides on Youtube.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its the removal that takes time ... when hubby removed some on our FamilyScout that were awful it took ages to just to remove a piece about 3ft long by 2 inches high ... hours in fact. Once they're off it then has to have all the residue cleaned off which again can take a long time to do it right and then make sure it's totally clean/dust free etc before applying the new decals.

It also depends what the quality of the decals is too and how big/difficult they are to produce, there are some cheaper ones that are only meant to last a few years and some that should be good for at least 15 years which cost more obviously.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
The Elegance has probably the most complicated decals that I can think of, it would be a huge job.
Are they making the decals or are you sourcing direct from Burstner?
Who were you thinking of using?

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Hi
Thanks for your replies, a company called AST based at Penrith, mainly do commercial vehicles and fleet stuff, hadn’t looked at burstner just assumed they would be silly money.
Another question if I had them totally re design would it affect re sale value, I suppose it would if trading it in but maybe not so if private

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Steam from kettle or wall paper steamer work quite well to remove decals also have used ambersil label remover and that also appeared to work well couple of more removal options anyway

FannyFive

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
autosleeper
Exp
years
I read all the 'taking off decals is a nightmare' and 'not to be recommended' things on line. Because of that got quotes from a number of decal companies for taking old decals off, i would have had to mortgage the house, ridiculous.

Then I decided to do it myself and there are loads of products out there but really lots of feedback was from disappointed users.

I came across the removal wheel that you put in a drill and thought I would give it a try. Bloody brilliant!!
Didnt damage paintwork, didnt leave any residue to remove and whole van finished in a few hours. there is a well advertised name out there but there is another product sold on ebay and amazon I found to be much better than then hyped one.
I asked a couple of the decal companys why they didnt use them and they said they hadnt heard of them.......very odd indeed. especially when companys were going to charge 6-10 hours at £40+ an hour!

Having new decals fitted in next few weeks.....yippeeeeee

FannyFive
Steve

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Slightly off topic but we spotted this on a UK regd van when in Ypres a couple of weeks ago.
Thought it looked fantastic so asked the owner and he said he got it off Ebay told us to search for "peeling paint graphics" or something similar.

20180701_161104.jpg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I read all the 'taking off decals is a nightmare' and 'not to be recommended' things on line. Because of that got quotes from a number of decal companies for taking old decals off, i would have had to mortgage the house, ridiculous.

Then I decided to do it myself and there are loads of products out there but really lots of feedback was from disappointed users.

I came across the removal wheel that you put in a drill and thought I would give it a try. Bloody brilliant!!
Didnt damage paintwork, didnt leave any residue to remove and whole van finished in a few hours. there is a well advertised name out there but there is another product sold on ebay and amazon I found to be much better than then hyped one.
I asked a couple of the decal companys why they didnt use them and they said they hadnt heard of them.......very odd indeed. especially when companys were going to charge 6-10 hours at £40+ an hour!

Having new decals fitted in next few weeks.....yippeeeeee

FannyFive
Steve

What was the name of the product you used, Please,,??BUSBY,,

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's easy if it goes well. If it doesn't you'll wish you'd paid someone who knows what they're doing.

All the people who are saying heat or steam will get anything off :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Anything that's really stuck on needs to be ground off using the right bit of kit so that you take the vinyl off but not the paint below it. That takes a long time.

We did this exercise with the boy's little Peugeot 107. It took someone who knew what they were doing a full day to remove and refit two racing stripes on that.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I was told recently when I enquired about a replacement from a good friend who does signs for a living that you have to be very careful because you can remove the lacquer when removing the old decals, said mine might not be a problem as it’s a newish van but something to consider if your thinking about it

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Wow that toffee wheels impressive, suspect you will need to be careful putting to much heat into one area though :smiley:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Impressive wheel but only really suitable for smallish decals I should think unless you want to spend ages doing it ... when the large panels were replaced on our Familyscout before we sold it they eventually managed to remove them with the assistance of a pressure hose (carefully!). In the last photo you can see how they had shrunk ... they should have had straight edges! By the time it went in to have them replaced it looked pretty awful, when we sold it, it looked brilliant.

3 decals - nearside.JPG
4 decals - offside.JPG
2 decals - rear.JPG

FannyFive

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
autosleeper
Exp
years
Amazon product ASIN
Here is Amazon page, the Whizzy wheel was not as good as the other two more straight forward wheels.
As I said it was quick easy and perfect result by a complete novice, thick stripes front back and sides of van.

Have fun

Steve

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
The decal on the overcab area on mine was looking a bit tatty, so thought I'd take advantage of the recent run of hot weather, parked in the sun for a couple of hours, lifted one corner of the decal with a fingernail and gently pulled.....
It all came off in one piece !
Might be worth a try before taking a power tool to it.
:dance2:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I don’t know where you’re located but a member on the Concorde Facebook page had his decals renewed by a firm in Norfolk it looks to be a very good job. If it would help I could forward the name of the company.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Up in west Cumbria long way from Norfolk, jobs on hold at the minute, until my back problem gets sorted :crying:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back