Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Wrong!! not agreeing with you Geo. Only way to use stripes in this situation successfully - opposing - as Brian and Dinah have done!

Plus, Pshaw, cos I like the fabric, so there. V cheerful IMHO. Yup Brian, Scotchgard in cans.

Would be interested to know details of the warehouse, I know it isn't just up the road from me but I've looked locally and further afield till the cows come home and unless I want to pay £30 a yard (which I don't) (well what I mean is, if I could afford it then I would but I can't) have all but given up trying to find what I'm looking for. I even look on markets and in soft furnishing shops in France.

I don't care where it comes from, as long as I can get it in the first place. New curtains in material that we both like of a better weight (as these cheaper ones hang utterly crap and no - weights don't help) in the living room. I'll know the one when I see it .......

:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Wrong:RollEyes: I didn't say you did agree with me, I said yer Ma did, according to you anyway

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Wrong!! not agreeing with you Geo. [HI] Only way to use stripes in this situation successfully - opposing [/HI]- as Brian and Dinah have done!

having done a fair amount of both upholstery and sewing, I would have to disagree.. not saying it's easy.. but it can certainly be done successfully..

now whether that is better looking than opposing stripes is purely down to personal taste ..

Looking forward to seeing the finished job Brian ... :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Wrong!! not agreeing with you Geo. Only way to use stripes in this situation successfully - opposing - as Brian and Dinah have done!

Plus, Pshaw, cos I like the fabric, so there. V cheerful IMHO. Yup Brian, Scotchgard in cans.

Would be interested to know details of the warehouse, I know it isn't just up the road from me but I've looked locally and further afield till the cows come home and unless I want to pay £30 a yard (which I don't) (well what I mean is, if I could afford it then I would but I can't) have all but given up trying to find what I'm looking for. I even look on markets and in soft furnishing shops in France.

I don't care where it comes from, as long as I can get it in the first place. New curtains in material that we both like of a better weight (as these cheaper ones hang utterly crap and no - weights don't help) in the living room. I'll know the one when I see it .......

:thumb:

There's a fabric place advertises on ebay for L/Vehicles near Derby I think I can get there name if you need it -Very good prices and fabrics,Julie across the road from me uses them/sends customers :winky:
terry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You'll find lots of the larger markets (Leeds etc) have fabric stalls, even our local car boot has an 'end of roll/lines' stall with bargains at £5 a metre!!!

I use material which I pick up at car boot sales and even charity shops - the seat covers I made for our Accent dinnette seat were some suede effect curtains which I got for a few quid (£4 I think!) and there's loads of it too!

Oh, forgot to say, as for the stripes - don't over-do it! I'd suggest having some contrasting 'plainer' material for part of the seat covers otherwise I think you'll go dizzy!!!

Attachments

• 1 - Seat cover.JPG
    1 - Seat cover.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yup but where would I find a 'big market' near Coventry? :roflmto:

We don't even have a curtain material shop in the town, though you can still buy nets on the market and cheap ready-mades. As long as everything is standard size of course and with a non-standard house built in feet and inches in a metric world, you are a bit knacked really.

The Range did used to have a limited - er - range, of curtain fabrics, but then very little Rufflette and what they had was at top dollar. I paid nearly as much for it as the material to do 2 - small - windows in the hall a couple of years ago. They didn't sell sewing thread at all and again, I had the very devil of a job to get it. Same last Xmas when shortening some bright cerise ready mades for a grand-daughter's bedroom. Dead simple and quick job made difficult by having to trawl every Indian shop in Coventry since the sari material shops don't sell thread. I wanted eg Guterman, I landed up with summat cheapo and it knots, just as expected. Grrrr.

I want 'decent chintz' weight, with a glazed cotton lining. Simples. Not.

But there again I recall going into a large fabric shop in kidderminster years ago to look at material for a frock. Came out with equal amounts of white cotton curtain lace and bright sunshine yellow taffeta , treated it as one fabric by basting and made a halterneck long evening gown from it! And I've made dresses from 108" sheeting and curtains out of dress material. I made a lovely suit out of pillow ticking too.

I NEED to look, feel and consider - and I'm off !

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
:ROFLMAO:Seeing the amount of funsters looking at this thread I think you could make a few bob charging for folks to take a peak at the finished artical:thumb:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
So, with an overheated brain I worked out the problem. We bought thinking our daughter and grandkids could use it so 6 seatbelts, they never did use it. This meant train style facing seats and poor comfort......

We know what you mean , thats why we did ours (see our before &after pics).

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Another step closer. Just a bit more woodwork then the cushions.

Attachments

• bench1.jpg
    bench1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 148
  • bench2.jpg
    bench2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 143
OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
:ROFLMAO:Seeing the amount of funsters looking at this thread I think you could make a few bob charging for folks to take a peak at the finished artical:thumb:

I'll get some tickets printed.

Do you think I need to offer nibbles and a glass of sherry ?

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We know what you mean , thats why we did ours (see our before &after pics).

Well impressed.

I hope ours is a successful, it won't be as fancy though. Looks like you didn't have a water tank in your way or you went to the trouble of relocating it.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Fortunately the water tank is under the rearmost seat which we retained. Good luck with yours, its not that hard, just takes time and patience.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Don't go offering sherry or anything remotly alcoholic !!!
You would get trampled in the rush:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Getting closer, it just seems twice the van now.......

Attachments

• P1050031.jpg
    P1050031.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 169
  • P1050032.jpg
    P1050032.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 168

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Looking good Brian it will be quite unique also as I don't think I have ever seen a rear facing L shape lounge, will certainly give you loads more room.

Look forward to seeing end product

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Looking good Brian it will be quite unique also as I don't think I have ever seen a rear facing L shape lounge, will certainly give you loads more room.

There really were no other options, but this has eliminated the horrible tight area at the sink. If you look on the floor, looking towards TV, you can just see a black bolt hole in the floor in front of the mat, that is how far the other seat intruded into that area.

I might be able to toss pancakes now. Then cover them in sugar and drown them in brandy. Ohhhhh, dribble dribble.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Looking well Brian :thumb:
Another 4 days and it will have taken longer than it took to do the whole of the inside of my van ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Anyone looking for fabrics could no worse than googling Abakhan Fabrics, they have 8 or 9 stores throughout the north west, I can only vouch for the MOSTYN depot in North Wales, but I guarantee if you were to visit there you will be truly amazed:thumb

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
re-worked interior

Just stumbled on this post.

I hope the finished design is as good as ours.

We have a Carioca 656. 6-Berth (or was)

I looked into re-upholstery of the seats and bought 20 metres at £1.50 per metre off our local market.

After covering the cushions, O/H agreed to look into the change around of the seats that I'd been nagging about.

The seat to be moved housed the Truma boiler, but luckily the boiler was placed to the outerside of the seat. We'd always had problems reaching in to open the boiler water drain anyway.

Turning the seat meant a gap between the moved seat and the remaining seat, so he had to manufacture a 'gap filler'.

The table which had been hooked onto the side of the van was re-worked into an oval table with a centre leg.

I overbought on material so then I had to make curtains throughout.

We've since discovered that the new material does not hold any of the dog hairs that had previously made the van look untidy.

We are a very happy couple.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back