LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well that was how it started, "I'm just going looking for cloth for new curtains" said Mrs Hilldweller.

"Found some nice curtain material but they had some wonderful other fabrics". Now this is a warehouse where the designers of Waine Roonie's house would go for cloth.

Now I had seen some FUNsters recovered MHs and I had to admit the dull blue Burstner cloth as inspiring as three week old cold FB pies, with maggots.

My first thought was, big job, let's see if was can take the furnishings to Regal and get then to recover while the MH is SORNed. Regal said no, bring it here and pay us £1720 plus VAT. I thought that was a bit too much for a 9 YO MH.

So back to warehouse, two of us. She was right, I've never seen so much cloth and seriously nice as well for £15 a metre. We went back and measured up MH, returned and bought 12 metres in two styles. That's £180 against over £2000. I gut the interior and carry the parts inside and amazingly quickly we'd done the wall cladding, it looked magnificent, maybe better but I'm a modest soul.

So I'm sat there bathed in joint glory and unfortunately started thinking. Not advised for pensioners. This Burstner had done us proud but never comfortable. We been invited in many MHs, particularly Hymers, that are huge and comfortable. We have thought of changing, but everything else on ours is as good as it gets in a small size. I've never seen a better kitchen or bathroom and the Luton bed is at least as good as home.

So, with an overheated brain I worked out the problem. We bought thinking our daughter and grandkids could use it so 6 seatbelts, they never did use it. This meant train style facing seats and poor comfort. So the plan was hatched, remove one pair of seats and make an L shaped lounge. Testing as much as possible got approval from 'er indoors. So this found me today, squirming underneath in the snow to find the 8 nuts in the chassis that hold the seat in. I got my rewards for "thinking". Out came the seat. All of a sudden it felt like a ballroom.

Here are the pictures to date. I'm sure you'll approve of the new light beige theme against the old blue.

To be continued.........

Attachments

• P1050011.jpg
    P1050011.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 475
  • P1050012.jpg
    P1050012.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 454
  • P1050013.jpg
    P1050013.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 456
  • P1050014.jpg
    P1050014.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 464
  • P1050015.jpg
    P1050015.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 433

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
For God's sake man, you're going to start lots of other bosses thinking about how the layout can be changed :Doh:

Please ensure you give details of how difficult every change and how much mess is caused (even if you have to lie) :ROFLMAO:

Phil

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
For God's sake man, you're going to start lots of other bosses thinking about how the layout can be changed :Doh:
Phil

It just seems pointless to PX a 50K miles vehicle at big money when it has only one flaw for us.

I have tried two mods before, first was filling the gap to make a U shape but it was too small a U, then a reclining mechanism on one seat, this was quite reasonable.

This is by no means a done deal, at a pinch I could put it back to original. But I am optimistic, the removed seat stuck out so much at cooking time it got might congested.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Brian, you definitely need a training course.

Letting the gaffers change the curtains is one thing but there it has to stop. Do like I did, fight back with some bargain cushions from the market.

Gives the gaffers that much of a fright they are put off suggesting more changes for at least 6 months :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Boy, your Mrs is clever.

She wanted the L shaped lounge all the time.
The curtains were just a red herring :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well done Mrs Hilldweller:winky:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Oh at last, A chance for critisicm...

Ive waited for years for you to entertain some proper DIY so I can get my own back. Now, yes Now, you present me with this....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

So where do I start...

Well, firstly KISS keep it simple stupid... You have chosen to re upholster your van. The simple thing would of been to nip to Spinneys give it them, add a cheque and drive off in your older than 9 year old hymer... But OH nO, not you. After years and Years of telling me to KISS, you take on a complete reconstruction job without so much as a mini digger insight.

You choose material that you claim that Waye Rooney would choose, when in fact Polly Rooney the old lady from number 98 would of thought to ancient. :winky:

You then remove the wrong seats :Doh::Doh: unless of course you are setting a new trend in motorhome design. Im yet to see the layout that you are creating, now do it properly and move the water tank too, your just being lazy.

So you refer to this "ballroom space" are you wanting too dance in your motorhome? Is Dinah aware of this? can she even Dance? Can you even Dance? or are you intending to create the space for a MHF meet? maybe we could see how many we could fit in? maybe Janine and Barry can make the music in the front seats?

Anyhow, that's quite enough excitment for one day, go and have a rest.....

Still I owe you one, so if you need a hand give me a shout, got a bit of time off coming soon.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I think you are safe enough there Paul in offering your help the picture of that garden with the digger is Indelibly Scratched into our brains:ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
This is an absolute disgrace.

I am horrified.

What will happen to our caring, considerate dealers if motorhomers start doing major alterations to their motorhomes themselves.

They rely on decent motorhomers trading in their motorhomes in order to make profit. They use this profit to plough back into their business so they can give even better, faster service to their customers.

By applying some thought you will have saved yourself thousands of pounds.

How selfish!

Next thing you know you will building your own van to the exact layout you want. This could lead to the death of the industry as we know it.

JJ :Cool:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
dam it man my wife has just seen this OMG she is now wanting me to take her shopping for material:Sad:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Bloody hell Brian you could do with a new garden bench, mind you your van could do with a bit of work inside as well :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Well that was how it started, "I'm just going looking for cloth for new curtains" said Mrs Hilldweller.

"Found some nice curtain material but they had some wonderful other fabrics". Now this is a warehouse where the designers of Waine Roonie's house would go for cloth.

Now I had seen some FUNsters recovered MHs and I had to admit the dull blue Burstner cloth as inspiring as three week old cold FB pies, with maggots.

My first thought was, big job, let's see if was can take the furnishings to Regal and get then to recover while the MH is SORNed. Regal said no, bring it here and pay us £1720 plus VAT. I thought that was a bit too much for a 9 YO MH.

So back to warehouse, two of us. She was right, I've never seen so much cloth and seriously nice as well for £15 a metre. We went back and measured up MH, returned and bought 12 metres in two styles. That's £180 against over £2000. I gut the interior and carry the parts inside and amazingly quickly we'd done the wall cladding, it looked magnificent, maybe better but I'm a modest soul.

So I'm sat there bathed in joint glory and unfortunately started thinking. Not advised for pensioners. This Burstner had done us proud but never comfortable. We been invited in many MHs, particularly Hymers, that are huge and comfortable. We have thought of changing, but everything else on ours is as good as it gets in a small size. I've never seen a better kitchen or bathroom and the Luton bed is at least as good as home.

So, with an overheated brain I worked out the problem. We bought thinking our daughter and grandkids could use it so 6 seat-belts, they never did use it. This meant train style facing seats and poor comfort. So the plan was hatched, remove one pair of seats and make an L shaped lounge. Testing as much as possible got approval from 'er indoors. So this found me today, squirming underneath in the snow to find the 8 nuts in the chassis that hold the seat in. I got my rewards for "thinking". Out came the seat. All of a sudden it felt like a ballroom.

Here are the pictures to date. I'm sure you'll approve of the new light beige theme against the old blue.

To be continued.........

i do like the creme the wife has sad it looks like a good job and i am going to fit sum seet belts but didn't know how to do it now i know with my tig welder no problem thanks for this informative post:thumb:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oh at last, A chance for critisicm... ::bigsmile:

Ive waited for years for you to entertain some proper DIY so I can get my own back.

Ah yes, the dish best served cold.

So where do I start...

The simple thing would of been to nip to Spinneys give it them, add a cheque and drive off in your older than 9 year old hymer.

That so very nearly happened but at Harringtons near Chester.

you take on a complete reconstruction job without so much as a mini digger insight.

Got a lump hammer and crowbar in one shot.

You then remove the wrong seats :Doh::Doh:

No choice there. The seat I kept is the main water tank, no way is that moving. You are quite right, the front one would have been better, apart from keeping some weight on the front axle.

So you refer to this "ballroom space" are you wanting too dance in your motorhome?

You mean you don't ?

Anyhow, that's quite enough excitment for one day, go and have a rest.....

I did fall asleep during the one show, good move.

Still I owe you one, so if you need a hand give me a shout, got a bit of time off coming soon.

Thanks.

I'll have to do this in RED.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Next thing you know you will building your own van to the exact layout you want. This could lead to the death of the industry as we know it.
JJ :Cool:

I envy all the people who have the guts to do this.

Next best thing, customise.

So far roughly is order......

Fit reversing sensors.
Fit LEDs.
Fit Gaslow.
Add extra 12V sockets.
Fit safe.
Fit computer control which is alarm, lights control, door bell, egg timer.
Fit seat swivel.
Fit wardrobe LEDs.
Fit cab reading LEDs - over swivel.
Fit MP3 connector.
Replace flying saucer with proper aerial.
Replace rooflight with fan-rooflight.
Fit BBQ point.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i am going to fit sum seet belts but didn't know how to do it now i know with my tig welder no problem thanks for this informative post:thumb:

I was going to make that point, people often ask "can I fit seat belts", well this is what it takes to do the job to a certified standard. It weighs a tonne and it's bolted down with 8 half inch bolts.

Your problem is you can't afford to test yours as Burstner can so if you do fit seatbelts the buck stops with you if anyone gets hurt.

The upside is we've enough weight capacity now for an extra 100 gals of wine.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

So, with an overheated brain I worked out the problem. We bought thinking our daughter and grandkids could use it so 6 seatbelts, they never did use it. This meant train style facing seats and poor comfort. So the plan was hatched, remove one pair of seats and make an L shaped lounge. Testing as much as possible got approval from 'er indoors. So this found me today, squirming underneath in the snow to find the 8 nuts in the chassis that hold the seat in. I got my rewards for "thinking". Out came the seat. All of a sudden it felt like a ballroom.

To be continued.........

dont forget to retain the seat frame
for when you sell on :Blush::Blush::Doh:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
dont forget to retain the seat frame
for when you sell on :Blush::Blush::Doh:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks, I have kept all the bits but that frame is too big to store indoors. It might make a feature in the garden.

Who knows if I've got this wrong I may end up putting it back myself.

It's a pretty silly original layout. 6 seatbelts, 4 berths ( two good, two poor ) and it's possible 6 adults would be over the weight limit.

Now it will have 4 seat belts, 3 berths. Closer to reality.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My happorth for what its worth
1. you have committed the cardinal re upholstry sin
STRIPES:Eeek: No never not ever see your own pics stripes in two directions:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:
As for certified seat belt mounts Ill take a pic or two and show you some "Certified seat belt mounts":RollEyes:
Geo

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
For goodness sake Brian be careful with the title of your thread!!!:Doh:

I thought we were about to have some evidence of you sewing your new curtains:Eeek: ... You know .... same kind of evidence JJ gave of me doing that ..kind of job:Blush:

Amicalement

Frankie:roflmto:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No never not ever see your own pics stripes in two directions:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:
Geo

Got to be practical, we're only amateurs. It was the most efficient use of the 56" wide fabric.

But I also think it's quite pleasing. The horizontal gives an impression of W-I-D-E and the vertical of a solid pillar.

So knickers to you, clearly jealous of not owning a Burstner.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Got to be practical, we're only amateurs. It was the most efficient use of the 56" wide fabric.

But I also think it's quite pleasing. The horizontal gives an impression of W-I-D-E and the vertical of a solid pillar.

[HI]So knickers to you, clearly jealous of not owning a Burstner[/HI].
It's an American (RV) Thing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
same kind of evidence JJ gave of me doing that ..kind of job:Blush:

But you can't believe anything he says or does, he's a magician.

Next meet we'll have to get him doing his "cutting the curtains in half" trick.

With all the sausage skins I delivered to Marjal I'm sure he's shown you his vanishing sausage trick by now.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It's an American (RV) Thing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Your quite right Graham we dont have to have illusions of space or strength in the RV world
Im sorry Brian hasn't taken my comments well,
They were intended to hurt and wound but he appears to mock me and make fun of my words, thats the last time I try and upset him:RollEyes:
Geo

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'm with Brian here. If you used both vertically, you would have to exactly match the stripes and that's an absolute nightmare, frankly - speaking as one who used to make all her own frocks. My ma was a qualified hand tailoress, and she always said to us get anything (fabric pattern) you like - just as long as it ain't strips !

Bad enough matching patterns on wallpaper ..... or joins in carpets ......

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well at least yer Ma agreed with me Jenny:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I was going to mention the very light colour but I won't now ::bigsmile:
Mate keeps telling me the only thing wrong with my conversion is the nice rich red check fabrics--- little does he know :Doh: ours is 6 yrs old and still looks new, his is 2 yrs old ane his blue and cream has had to be taken off to wash twice:Eeek:::bigsmile:
Terry

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Get the van parked outside Its winter weather with plenty of snow you might get an.ASDA van to hit it..Much easier job.Ask GJH.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back