sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Used to use Co pilot.. can't think if anything particularly negative about it .. now use the Garmin Camper which is far superior imho and has never taken me down a road I couldnt negotiate.
You say the Garmin is superior, can you provide 2 or 3 examples of the superiority for definitive comparison please?

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Our Garmin Camper is/was mostly ok, but seems to have a mind of its own at times, mad moments or electronic brain farts trying to drag you down some inappropriate roads. Keeping it as backup as we give the Pioneer system a few test runs.

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Quick question ,, I have a Lenovo tablet and I was thinking of putting CoPilot onto this , but just got thinking I don't have a data sim card in the tablet , does CoPilot need to be connected online to work or can it work off line , and if it works off line do all tablets have some kind of internal GPS ariel especially Lenovo Tab 3

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Been a big fan of Co Pilot for a couple of years and used it exclusively but have to say the new update a few months ago is bloody awful. Will persevere a bit longer but if things don't improve I may have to go back to the old Garmin. :eek: Why the hell they have to keep messing with things really annoys me. What happened to " If it ain't broke don't fix it"(n)

Agree, the Copilot update is a backward step IMO. I've used Copilot (basic) for at least 3 years and therefore very familiar with the functionality.

The update seems to be quite a radical change so will need to commence the relearning process all over again.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Quick question ,, I have a Lenovo tablet and I was thinking of putting CoPilot onto this , but just got thinking I don't have a data sim card in the tablet , does CoPilot need to be connected online to work or can it work off line , and if it works off line do all tablets have some kind of internal GPS ariel especially Lenovo Tab 3

Thanks

You don't need a data SIM. You obviously need wi-fi to download the app initially plus the maps. After that, it works offline. You also need a GPS sensor in the tablet.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

Thanks
You do not need a data sim if you have enough spare internal storage. If you download western Europe maps its 2.6 gb, but UK alone is 458mb so a SD card gives you flexibility if you are short of storage if your tablet has a slot. There is an option in CoPilot to load maps to a card instead of internal. It is an offline app, maps are stored on the device so no need for a data sim, indeed I run CoPilot on a non sim tablet. Your Lenova allegedly has a GPS chip, however I use a Garmin Glo GPS which uses both the US sats and the Ruskies so looking at max of 24 satellites. It can be placed in a good sky vision position and stream GPS data to your tablet over Bluetooth. But as a first time user I would not take that step until you are a confident user, and in any event you should find that the tablets GPS is just fine.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I use a cheap Tesco Hudl 2 tablet for Copilot (unfortunately they don't make it anymore).

It's positioned in the center of the dashboard but 50cm behind the roof overhang. To my surprise, it picks up sufficient satellites to allow navigation although it does sometimes lag behind a bit at junctions. If it became an overriding problem, I'd invest in a Garmin Glo Bluetooth GPS receiver as mentioned by @sallylillian, but they are quite expensive at around £80.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You say the Garmin is superior, can you provide 2 or 3 examples of the superiority for definitive comparison please?
I can try.
Firstly .. Co pilot is limited by the device or screen size you use.
The Garmin as standard is smooth and clear with a large screen. It's display is clear and uncluttered. One of the things that used to annoy me about the co pilot installation was the screen sometimes was too cluttered.
The Garmin mapping has never directed me somewhere I couldn't go and it's planning software (Basecamp) has no comparison on co pilot ... or any other device as far as I know. (Yes yes I should learn to use basecamp better).
Speed cameras in France.. Garmin does warn of dangerous roads. Don't think Co Pilot does.. (?)..
Dedicated mount.. the Garmin has a dedicated powered mount. ..
Traffic... delays etc. I'm sure that's an extra cost with co pilot
Voice activated controls... not sure if co pilot does that ...

It boils down to what you want really. I never had a problem with co pilot but much prefer the Garmin Camper in the van. If I'm out in the car in the UK I use Waze or Google on my phone if I need directions.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Our Garmin Camper is/was mostly ok, but seems to have a mind of its own at times, mad moments or electronic brain farts trying to drag you down some inappropriate roads. Keeping it as backup as we give the Pioneer system a few test runs.

Couldn't agree more,totally overrated.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I can try.
Firstly .. Co pilot is limited by the device or screen size you use.
The Garmin as standard is smooth and clear with a large screen. It's display is clear and uncluttered. One of the things that used to annoy me about the co pilot installation was the screen sometimes was too cluttered.
The Garmin mapping has never directed me somewhere I couldn't go and it's planning software (Basecamp) has no comparison on co pilot ... or any other device as far as I know. (Yes yes I should learn to use basecamp better).
Speed cameras in France.. Garmin does warn of dangerous roads. Don't think Co Pilot does.. (?)..
Dedicated mount.. the Garmin has a dedicated powered mount. ..
Traffic... delays etc. I'm sure that's an extra cost with co pilot
Voice activated controls... not sure if co pilot does that ...

It boils down to what you want really. I never had a problem with co pilot but much prefer the Garmin Camper in the van. If I'm out in the car in the UK I use Waze or Google on my phone if I need directions.
Thanks, the reason for my question was that you said the Garmin was far superior, rather than just you preferred it.
I would like to help you with some of your issues. I am not sure about the screen size restriction you refer to, CoPilot can run on any size tablet or phone, the limitation is your choice, I run CoPilot on a 10 inch Sony Android tablet on a Brodit mount, that is huge compared to standard proprietary screens like Garmin. The items on the screen are set through settings so you can reduce or increase the level of information presented. Yes it does not have a thing like base camp and although I am not familiar with basecamp I believe it is a way to manage the Garmin from a PC or other computer and does have some odd features which you are not able to do with a tablet based app like CoPilot, but in the end basecamp is a solution to the fact that a proprietary sat nav is just that, no keyboard, a small screen compared to a tablet, limited to nav only, POI download not possible without connection to a computer or tablet etc.
For a dedicated mount, Brodit make some fantastic mounts with or without power leads for many tablets, I have one for my Sony.
Speed camera notification on a sat nav is illegal in France and CoPilot knows these restrictions intuitively and disables the specific warning but does remind you of the speed limit verbally.
Yes lifetime traffic is an extra cost, I think a one off £14 or so.
Voice activated controls; I have never looked for this feature as I have them in my Audi and don't get on with them but could well be a good reason to choose Garmin over CoPilot I suppose.
As you say it is a matter of preference I prefer all the good features of CoPilot, like a multiple use piece of hardware that I can change at random and just swap my paid for app to a new faster device. A comprehensive user defined vehicle profile, and an extensive road profiling tool to define the choice and graduation of classifications, ( incorrect settings of this by the user lead many to blame the app for its route selections ), but thank you for sharing your thoughts.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Thanks, the reason for my question was that you said the Garmin was far superior, rather than just you preferred it.
I would like to help you with some of your issues. I am not sure about the screen size restriction you refer to, CoPilot can run on any size tablet or phone, the limitation is your choice, I run CoPilot on a 10 inch Sony Android tablet on a Brodit mount, that is huge compared to standard proprietary screens like Garmin. The items on the screen are set through settings so you can reduce or increase the level of information presented. Yes it does not have a thing like base camp and although I am not familiar with basecamp I believe it is a way to manage the Garmin from a PC or other computer and does have some odd features which you are not able to do with a tablet based app like CoPilot, but in the end basecamp is a solution to the fact that a proprietary sat nav is just that, no keyboard, a small screen compared to a tablet, limited to nav only, POI download not possible without connection to a computer or tablet etc.
For a dedicated mount, Brodit make some fantastic mounts with or without power leads for many tablets, I have one for my Sony.
Speed camera notification on a sat nav is illegal in France and CoPilot knows these restrictions intuitively and disables the specific warning but does remind you of the speed limit verbally.
Yes lifetime traffic is an extra cost, I think a one off £14 or so.
Voice activated controls; I have never looked for this feature as I have them in my Audi and don't get on with them but could well be a good reason to choose Garmin over CoPilot I suppose.
As you say it is a matter of preference I prefer all the good features of CoPilot, like a multiple use piece of hardware that I can change at random and just swap my paid for app to a new faster device. A comprehensive user defined vehicle profile, and an extensive road profiling tool to define the choice and graduation of classifications, ( incorrect settings of this by the user lead many to blame the app for its route selections ), but thank you for sharing your thoughts.
A very quick observation there is my garmin cost less than your setup.
And you're right. . Having used both .. I think it's far superior.. hence I don't use Co pilot now and use the Garmin. . In fact I prefer google or waze over co pilot.
I too have various multiple use pieces of hardware .. and even a brodit mount in one car .. but I still think the Garmin is better.
Am fully aware that speed camera warnings are illegal in France and they too are disabled on Garmin .. obviously. You get an alternative warning in the area of speed cameras.
Basecamp is not the solution to no keyboard. It's a computer based tool to enable the planning of an entire trip over pretty much any time period.
Co pilot is a piece of software .. there are plenty of others like it .. just as there are other brands of sat nav. You like your app. I prefer my dedicated unit. I can use all my other phones and tablets for other things then.
Nothing you've explained about Copilot puts it above the Garmin Camper for me.
But that's my choice as you said. I thank you for your explanation though.
I know you offered to help me with my issues re CoPilot but I didn't need any help because I had already made the decision which was superior.

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
But you do need help, you still want to insist your Garmin is superior rather than you just prefer it, the former I will argue strongly is not the case and when I ask for an explanation, playing semantics with my responses is not proof of your statement; but the latter, saying you just simply prefer it, is your choice and I accept that.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I use both a Garmin 760 Camper and CoPilot on an iPad mini and let them fight it out over the best route. :LOL:
To be honest they usually both choose much the same route, but not always. Then I refer to the map and decide which way to go.
I too prefer the Garmin and find the routing more suited to our 'truck' but I should say that I'm using the standard car version of CoPilot set on 'Caravan'. Although I can put road preferences in there are no height or weight restrictions taken into account.
I also find that CoPilot can be very slow to respond to the touch screen and needs multiple prods and sometimes freezes. That is really irritating but could be down to my iPad having a fairly full memory and having to work overtime. An updated iPad is on the agenda, when I may update to the Caravan version of CoPilot as well.
As value for money there is no doubt that a CoPilot app is better than a dedicated sat nav but overall I still trust 'Mrs Garmin' more.

Richard.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have not looked at the Caravan version as I have always had the Truck version, which although more expensive at least it is a once only charge. The truck version does give you dimensional vehicle profiling as well as other truck related selectable options, like acute turn avoidance for example, all things which were issues for me when I had the 12 metre yankee, but not so much now with the 9 metre Flair, but nevertheless will make for better route calculation. I have not noticed any lag on the screen operation and we have 2 licences, my wife runs a copy on her tablet, her third device in as many years as she uses it for everything, currently a Samsung, and I use her redundant Sony tablet now after having a Nexus 7 in the van and like the increased real estate of 10 inches over 7, I don't need my reading glasses!
All Android so again not apples with apples, excuse the pun. So it could be any number of issues, hardware or IOS v Android.
The truck version is worth looking at. I also have the Sygic truck on my tablet but its POI management is crap so I use it for comparison from time to time. I used to have a Garmin truck model, cannot remember its number, when I first bought the Yankee in 2012 but I found it would use too many smaller roads to save 250 yards, I then had a Snooper Truck which I finally ditched as it would revert to car mode under certain circumstances and that proved a disaster in Italy one year. Fortunately we were testing CoPilot and Sygic at the time on my wifes tablet so we were able to extricate ourselves. We have since relied on CoPilot but it is interesting how on occasions running 2 tablets that one can produce a slightly different result even with the exact same settings but does that make one of the tablets superior, or the software on one better than the other when they are the same, no just demonstrates that this form of nav calculation is perhaps more art than science?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I've always wondered why the truck version is so much more expensive than the car app.
There can't be much more complication, other than vehicle profile, so it must be down to how much they think they can get away with charging.

Richard.

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back