New CoPilot Caravan edition

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Adbt, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Adbt

Adbt Banned

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Off to Chatsworth in the Bailey in 20 mins , put all the dimensions in , let's see if it does better than the TomTom
    Anybody else downloaded it ? Cheers !

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Ratings:
    +7,270
    I'm eager to hear your experiences.(y) The reviews I've read weren't too positive.:(

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +17,523
    And me ....... I think we are going down the tablet and satnav app route so investigating which app is going to work for us.

4. Adbt

Adbt Banned

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Nice interface ( tho no actual speed display ) , no surprises on route ( did not try and direct me down B roads as TomTom did ) Unsuitable roads appear to be coloured red with low bridges clearly marked . First impressions are good tho I know this route quite well . A week today we are off to Bristol, Cardiff and Glastonbury so a greater test awaits , will keep you up to date with more in depth review then .

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like it Like it x 1
  5. Hellski

Hellski Funster

Ratings:
    +1,049
    I too have recently downloaded this version of the app in preparation of delivery of our MH next month. Good to hear first impressions are good and look forward to the update following your trip down to the west country.

6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +10,064
    You might find one of the option to interchange actual speed with a few other options including altitude.

EDIT, when you have a route planned tap one of the little boxes at the bottom right or left and an options page should come up.

Martin

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. urban_biker

urban_biker Funster

Ratings:
    +100
    I had already paid for the Standard co-pilot. Unfortunately there is no upgrade path, can't even carry across maps I've paid for on the standard version. So I guess I am stuck with the standard version for a bit.

Its a good app though, especially once I found low energy mode so it doesn't kill my phone battery. Before that it would flatten the phone battery before I reached my destination, even with phone plugged into a 2 AMP charger.

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. Fragle

Fragle Funster

Ratings:
    +367
    I did email them and ask for upgrade as we already have co pilot. Computer said no(n)

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +789
    I was wondering why more people don't use copilot?
    Acc to a caravan tow-er we met yesterday it'll never take you down a narrow road. I was recounting three spectacular occasions this last year when Garmin camper has let us down.
    I am going to try it but worry about phone battery and how to display it on the van dashboard. Any thoughts?

10. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Ratings:
    +11,560
    I'm in Houston Texas and using Co Pilot and yes it's alright but not in my opinion as good as a dedicated Sat Nav, I know someone will be along to shot me down but I'm only saying as I find it.

11. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

Ratings:
    +22,285
    We use it and here in Spain it seems to take exception to using (or rather not using) some roads. The main route on the N432 from Granada to Badajoz is clearly there on its maps but it tried every way possible not to use it, even taking us over one hour longer on the section from Zafra to avoid the road.

We had this once before also from Fortuna to Archena in the Murcia region.

Other than that :Eeek: I like the clear detailed maps on the screen.

12. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +789
    Thanks
    Why do you think this?

I will probably use it with a Garmin camper as we have one anyway. My main concern is narrow roads as my nerves can't take being stuck like that again.

13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +91,868
    Having driven large motorhomes for years I found that all Sat Navs will lead you astray. The best way to use them is to plot a sensible and safe route on a map and then transfer the waypoints to the SatNav. Some SatNavs waypoints are naff to use and it might be better just to add favourites. Plot all the crucial points on your route and save them as favourites. if there are more than two then number them. As you arrive at favourite 1 then navigate to favourite 2. Works for me.

• Like it Like it x 6
    • Useful Useful x 3
  14. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,287
    May be something to do with your settings in vehicle profile. You can set different road classes from strongly favour, through neutral to strongly avoid. This in my opinion is a reason to buy feature but you do need to experiment to find a profile which suits your interpretation of driving. For example I have Motorways and Dual carriageways as "strongly favour", Primary roads as "neutral", Secondary roads as "avoid" and local streets as "strongly avoid"
    You will find that in some cases it may need to take several steps to get to the style you want but worth perseverance.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. themogs

themogs Funster

Ratings:
    +1,095
    We've used Co-Pilot for a few years in the U.K., and twice last year in France.:):)
    We've got it set on Caravan settings, and so far it hasn't put a foot wrong wherever we've been.:D
    I've got it set up on a 7inch tablet.:D
    An essential bit of kit for us:):)

• Like it Like it x 3
  16. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

Ratings:
    +22,285
    Thanks I'll have a look. But the other N roads (so far) it has no problems with.

17. sallylillian

Ratings:
    +1,287
    I did say maybe, but it is a complicated set of options and sort of like playing chess, you need to get your head around the relationship of all the options. So you may strongly favour one road type but using it is hampered by a strongly avoid or similar down rating of another, so CoPilot try's to get from point A to point B using your profile but struggles to find the compromise. There is also the "alternatives" which it calculates and presents, have you looked at those to see if it offered another option? Compared to most navigation options it is very powerful in this somewhat hidden feature but can be overwhelming for a plug and play user. As I say it is worth the perseverance.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +91,868
    • Like it Like it x 2
  19. sallylillian

Ratings:
    +1,287
    As long as your passenger can follow a paper map!

20. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +9,175
    Been a big fan of Co Pilot for a couple of years and used it exclusively but have to say the new update a few months ago is bloody awful. Will persevere a bit longer but if things don't improve I may have to go back to the old Garmin. :eek: Why the hell they have to keep messing with things really annoys me. What happened to " If it ain't broke don't fix it"(n)

• Like it Like it x 2