New controller need , which one (1 Viewer)

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Our solar controller has just stopped working , so I'm after a new one ,

Any help and recommendations would be great . It's for a Burstner Elegance 2010 with 2 solar panels .

The old controller is a Alden SPS180 wired into the EBL

Attachments

• IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 57

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Sorry no real recommendation.. I've used mppt controllers that photonic universe supply.. they are still working..
And the one techno mentions in his posts on solar..
As long as you get one that handles the output of your panels it just depends on what bells and whistles you want with it... ie what information you want it to dislay and functions you want available. .
There will be loads mentioned in the various threads...
Have a search and a read through..
Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is a very been using one for a few years as have loads of other Funsters. Only single output so you need to fit a solar split charge relay to charge the engine battery, I wired mine all via the Elektroblock.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
And the one techno mentions in his posts on solar..
That's the one lenny has linked to above....
I fitted that in the chausson. .. no problems so far..
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you wire via the EBL it will charge the engine battery without any additional wiring or facilities.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If you wire via the EBL it will charge the engine battery without any additional wiring or facilities.
Only if you fit a dual output regulator or a single output one with a solar split charge relay, which is what I did.

OP
OP
955matt

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Went to Silverstone and the solar was great 6 days no hook up working well, next weekend nothing coming from the solar , checked the fuses etc all ok. Disconnected the panels and tested 21.5volts, check the controller output , no change if the panel was connected or not just battery voltage at the output cables. Disconnected the cables and left the panels connected nothing

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
The Fat Controller;)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Went to Silverstone and the solar was great 6 days no hook up working well, next weekend nothing coming from the solar , checked the fuses etc all ok. Disconnected the panels and tested 21.5volts, check the controller output , no change if the panel was connected or not just battery voltage at the output cables. Disconnected the cables and left the panels connected nothing
Just to be certain if you haven't already done so... disconnect everything.. panels and battery...
Reconnect battery first then the panels...

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Only if you fit a dual output regulator or a single output one with a solar split charge relay, which is what I did.
Not in the case of the EBL99. The solar connection pin is simply another source of charging current and is offered to the battery sensing circuits along with the rest.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not in the case of the EBL99. The solar connection pin is simply another source of charging current and is offered to the battery sensing circuits along with the rest.
Don't think so the Schaudt regulators are dual output and the EBL99 has no charging control on solar the solar connections are just straight through to the batteries.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Don't think so the Schaudt regulators are dual output and the EBL99 has no charging control on solar the solar connections are just straight through to the batteries.
I'm arguing this based on the circuit diagram of the EBL99. You are correct that the output of (whatever) solar regulator goes directly to the hab battery. So does the output of the EBLs built in charger. A sensing circuit determines when the hab battery and hab services are satisfied then allows the starter battery to connect to the hab battery - which is how the starter battery obtains a small, intermittent, charge.

I can't say I'm absolutely certain because life's too short to work out the detailed operation of the EBL and anyway I don't have information on the operation of its internal module. But I can't see a separate trickle feed within the circuit - hence my description of how it appears to work.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm arguing this based on the circuit diagram of the EBL99. You are correct that the output of (whatever) solar regulator goes directly to the hab battery. So does the output of the EBLs built in charger. A sensing circuit determines when the hab battery and hab services are satisfied then allows the starter battery to connect to the hab battery - which is how the starter battery obtains a small, intermittent, charge.

I can't say I'm absolutely certain because life's too short to work out the detailed operation of the EBL and anyway I don't have information on the operation of its internal module. But I can't see a separate trickle feed within the circuit - hence my description of how it appears to work.
That happens on the mains side but like I said the solar connections are just a link to the batteries.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back