New chinese Diesel heater now coming with water heater... (1 Viewer)

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
Water is a precious resource, hot water even more so especially when mobile.
The only down side to a CDH { Chinese Diesel Heater } is you have to have the heating on as well to produce hot water.
I've worked away a lot in the past and a water supply, heating and hot water at the end of the day is the best thing in the world.
Yes I agree with everything you say and thats why my next video will try to address these issues. There is very little going for these machines in the camping world other than price but im going to try and show fellow self builders there maybe ways around the problems! In fact i may change the title of the vid to bring that to the fore. The next vid that i haven't made yet because i haven't mocked the system up will show you how i intend to build the system. If the idea fails then there will be no 3rd video but if it works then the 3rd video will be how its built into my van and fully operational. I had one angry guy on here asking everyone to ignore me because my video didn't conclude the outcome but i cant because i ain't built the system yet. I wanted people to make suggestions ans the videos progress. Ill get rid of gimmick special effects too as that wasn't received very well. Anyway going back to your issue about having to have air heat on for hot water, i believe this is true but my experience of camping in the uk is i always want a blast of warm air when i wake up because it stilll gets really cold most of the time in the uk over night. In the hight of summer generally your doors/window are generally open so the sir will be blasted straight out the door. In hot country's in summer when I've been camping which isn't often, ive found the water to be luke warm and keeping water cool is the problem. Im after people subscribing to follow the progress and throw in advice along the way as I'm a novis myself but with ideas i would like to try out. This is not professional solution but a cheap better than nothing solution hopefully. Anyway its all in the next vid if ya wanna subscribe lol.

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
I would have considered one 12 months ago, but not now as its made in the wrong country.
Yes i agree but my knowledge of these cheap machine (just air) are quite reliable for the money. Its the money thats The unique selling point which caught my eye. This machine will be nothing more than an experiment. It cost me £170 second hand so its a disposable item if it fails to work reliably.

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
A friend of mine is a senior manager with Eberspacher UK. He tells me,not surprisingly, that these blatant copies are made DOWN to a price,and when they break down -very short MTBF- people come to him for spares! He is happy to refuse...
Yer agree to a point but other than sutting up and the glow plug needing changing, there reliable enough for the money. The only real moving part is the fan and i never here people saying the fans burnt out but a solution is to buy two then you have the spares as there cheap enough. This machine was bought second hand of the guy who reviewed it. It cost me £170 incl postage so if it fails its a disposable item. My experiment really is aimed at diy self builders on a budget. I wouldn't recommend fitting this gadget in £50k motorhome lol. If you can afford one of those then defo stick to main brands. Something i best mention in the next video.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

First motorhome

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2013
North East England
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Looks like it will be a great addition to van builders and those that don't want to splash out on the likes of a Truma-D6 at £2500..
This will set you back, including £28 import duty if they catch you......

£305... :xsurprised::cool::cool:

Enjoyed the video, very informative can you send a link to purchase the mobile phone IR camera please.

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
I have made a decision not to buy anything Chinese knowingly. They have been thieving copyrights and getting away with it for years.
Phil
I hear you, seems the only thing they are good at making are corona viruses! However much as i agree with you, realistically if we didnt buy from them, most of use would own a lot less things and possibly not a motor home because we wouldn't be able to afford them. Unfortunately many of our well know western branded companies have commissioned chinese companies to be built their products in china. The issue lies with these companies like “Apple” to not have their gear built there but if built in their homeland, who's gunna pay 4grand for a phone! That then brings us back to we wont be able to own anything. So china ultimately has made our life's much more comfortable although i do agree they take the piss and i believe the secret communist party encourage it in order to prosper, increase revenues to build a mighty military. (Pause for thought!) but ultimately we all know not to buy chinese gear if we are looking for reliability. However in my experience some gear is good, some is bad. My baseplate for the heater needs re drilling as its not drilled out accurately and the bottom seal dont fit so im already agreeing with you but with a bit of british ingenuity and fettling, i recon i can make it work for me to keep it rock bottom price or i wont have hot water. My camper van videos are aimed at budget self builds really. If i could afford a beautiful professionally built camper van then i wouldn't hesitate to buy one but i cant. The cost of them make your eyes water so cheap cheap cheap all the way for me for now lol

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
It's Chinese! Should be embargoed! By European to support our industries
Trade embargoes are dodgy territory, many products come from china that are also high quality such as iphones! As i explained to another gentleman on here, most of our western companies have their products made there or parts that we consider to be high quality. Admittedly my machine is a rip off but is it? No one has changed a night heater into a water heater as well!?? Anyway for use cheap as poss self builders these cheap heaters are our only option against a £2,500 truma.

Jun 19, 2013
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Trade embargoes are dodgy territory, many products come from china that are also high quality such as iphones! As i explained to another gentleman on here, most of our western companies have their products made there or parts that we consider to be high quality. Admittedly my machine is a rip off but is it? No one has changed a night heater into a water heater as well!?? Anyway for use cheap as poss self builders these cheap heaters are our only option against a £2,500 truma.
Agree with you any many respects. However, given the effect of coronovirus on world economies and manufacturing, we need to look to our own abilities to manufacture and become more self reliant it home.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Agree with you any many respects. However, given the effect of coronovirus on world economies and manufacturing, we need to look to our own abilities to manufacture and become more self reliant it home.
Been there and done that but we flogged it all off....

Joe public want it now and want it cheep...

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
Been there and done that but we flogged it all off....

Joe public want it now and want it cheep...
Yer its a crap situ but ultimately the consumer is the decision maker. We all know westerns unique selling point is quality and eastern cheap. You takes your pick and pays your money for the situ that suits you best

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Yer its a crap situ but ultimately the consumer is the decision maker. We all know westerns unique selling point is quality and eastern cheap. You takes your pick and pays your money for the situ that suits you best
There is the old saying buy cheep buy twice but some stuff that comes over here is ok.... look at Lexus cars, the most reliable cars in the world... mostly made in China/japan...

When I get my camper I’ll be buying a blow heater If it hasn’t already got one... seen a lot of campers with one and a few on here have them and people are generally happy with them...

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
There is the old saying buy cheep buy twice but some stuff that comes over here is ok.... look at Lexus cars, the most reliable cars in the world... mostly made in China/japan...

When I get my camper I’ll be buying a blow heater If it hasn’t already got one... seen a lot of campers with one and a few on here have them and people are generally happy with them...

I have fitted an Eberspacher air heater in three successive boats and they are reliable, but quite noisy on startup. I imagine the Chinese one will be no better so good sound insulation might be an imperative.
John

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Is it me, but why buy these style if heaters anyway, as they only heat air and water, how about a Wallas diesel heater that heats air and has hot plates for food

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
I have fitted an Eberspacher air heater in three successive boats and they are reliable, but quite noisy on startup. I imagine the Chinese one will be no better so good sound insulation might be an imperative.
John
Well im expecting this machine ive got to fail in every department, reliable, noise and heating water up enough. Its an experiment im performing i guess but the machine will be in the cab and there is a bulk head wall to kill some of the noise as my cab and living area is sealed off so hoping that makes a difference

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Chinese diesel heater. Ours has been in for about 6 months. Admittedly not used a lot due to virus etc but works well. Draws a fair bit of current on start/stop but when running uses very little power. Easy to install as our bus originally had a non working eberspacer(sold as such for £70 on eBay) so the new one only really cost £20.
we switch on 5mins before stopping using the remote & then it’s happy on the leisure bats. It’s also very quiet & came with a little exhaust silencer. Only real noise is the pump tick.

so far we are pleased

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Yes i agree but my knowledge of these cheap machine (just air) are quite reliable for the money. Its the money thats The unique selling point which caught my eye. This machine will be nothing more than an experiment. It cost me £170 second hand so its a disposable item if it fails to work reliably.

I fitted a Chinese air diesel heater into my 30 ft 3 slideout fifth wheel in January and it works admirably. It was before my life was turned upside down by the country that manufactured it. I now refuse to buy anything made in China, but thats just my choice and my personal stand against what they have inflicted on the world, whether by accident or not. Yes, I do realise that most electronic devices are made in China, but am willing to make sacrifices for what I believe is right.

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
I hear what your saying. My parents felt the same after ww2,
no German or japanese gear in our house. which was understandable.

However I think most will buy what’s best value & suitable for their need. As I will.

I don’t think anybody would deliberately release this pandemic & do harm to the whole world, including China.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Rather support a British firm if they made their units in Britain so after this virus thing maybe we can start making in uk at a reasonable price but who knows?
Indeed I think most would prefer to support a British firm, unfortunately it is cheaper to manufacture abroad to maximise profit particularly for shareholders. If British manufacturers did not use overseas manufacturing then the British companies would not sell anything. We live in a Primark world and this post goes to show that some prefer £308 to paying £2,600.

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
I fitted a Chinese air diesel heater into my 30 ft 3 slideout fifth wheel in January and it works admirably. It was before my life was turned upside down by the country that manufactured it. I now refuse to buy anything made in China, but thats just my choice and my personal stand against what they have inflicted on the world, whether by accident or not. Yes, I do realise that most electronic devices are made in China, but am willing to make sacrifices for what I believe is right.
I kinda agree with you but really its the authorities or should i say dictators that are to blame for covering it up until it was too late but i cant make assumptions until the facts are fully known. I also blame the authorities for not regulating their wet markets as they call them. Their standards fail in so many avenues but i dont blame the innocent chinese public, its lack of regulation as that gets in the way of making money I'm afraid. We buy from india where there are child sweat shop and holiday in Dubai where slave labour is used to build your luxury hotel. You cant get away from it. Education is the key. Look i see your point and maybe we should all take a stance but can we do it after ive finished building my campervan? ?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
why does a water heater that's in all vans either electric or gas not scale in weeks?

Pump is already included
I'd probably put that loop under the floor as well though, warm floor as well as blown heating.. TOASTY
maybe i have misunderstood i assumed it was for hot water to the taps your now saying its for underfloor heating?
if its for running to the taps the problem with scxale will occur because when the heating is running there will be stationary water in the heat exchanger getting to temperatures exceeding 60 degrees which is the temp at which water will lay down scale ive seen dual pass boilers scale in six months and the heat exchangers are 10 times the size of that

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
Indeed I think most would prefer to support a British firm, unfortunately it is cheaper to manufacture abroad to maximise profit particularly for shareholders. If British manufacturers did not use overseas manufacturing then the British companies would not sell anything. We live in a Primark world and this post goes to show that some prefer £308 to paying £2,600.
My whole build including the van purchase will come under £10k. I cant have a boiler, one item that cost 25% or more of the total value. Not economical. However if i could afford it i would jump at getting a pucker system but something a miss with a person if your boiler almost cost the same as ya van lol. Horses for courses.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
maybe i have misunderstood i assumed it was for hot water to the taps your now saying its for underfloor heating?
if its for running to the taps the problem with scxale will occur because when the heating is running there will be stationary water in the heat exchanger getting to temperatures exceeding 60 degrees which is the temp at which water will lay down scale ive seen dual pass boilers scale in six months and the heat exchangers are 10 times the size of that
should have said if its used with a plate or calorifier or for underfloor i will not be a problem as the water isnt changed and becomes inert

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
Hay guys, subscribe to the tiny channel I've got and you will see how i intend to do it. It wont scale up! Trust me I'm a decorator. Mmmm that still may not convince you lol. Well when my vid comes out you will see so stay tuned guys. It could be a game changer. It could also fail dismally but if at first you dont succeed...............

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back