New chinese Diesel heater now coming with water heater... (1 Viewer)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I was looking on alibaba and this popped up haha. Trumas D6 in no name format for less than a grand...

just clicked on that link to find they have a max altitude for use in the spec i wonder why?

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
Hey great video by the way! Maybe I’m out to lunch here .. but why not simply add a toggle switch to the air fan on the unit.. this would prevent flow of air and allow you just to use the hydronic portion. I assume the exhaust has a separate fan .. (assume being the key word here:) ... other than that I’m thinking running the circ pump constant would be a draw back but I suppose you just switch it on when needed .. mine is a closed cooling system with a fairly good size loop so I doubt the water will ‘boil’ unless left on for a long time without any hot water use. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated I am torn between getting this or getting a second hydronic unit on top of existing air only ...
Hi there, sorry for late reply, if you do buy this machine it does come with its problems but ive sussed them out hopefully as I've run a two hour bench test the other week without the circulation pump on. I found the machines running temperature runs at approximately 160’C without the water pump on. If you turn the water pump on the running temp drops 20’C. If your also running a closed system with coolant, transferring heat to a heat exchanger in a hot water storage tank, then you MUST use waterless coolant in the system. Do not add water to the coolant. This way it runs ok without the circulation pump on BUT you cant switch off the fan by fitting a toggle switch to the fans electrical feed because you need the fan to air cool the machine or you will cook it💥!
Ive also fitted an automatic air release valve to the system so if you do get a gas build up which you do. It can be ejected safely without blowing pipes off.
Now the reason for using waterless coolant is because it doesn't gas up, well it does but not until 180’C and its minor around those temps. The machine runs at 160’C so it wont boil inside the machine but thats running it on low. However once your water tank is hot you would only want it on low tick over or you van is going to get too hot and you would have to open windows.
i also recommend taking cool fresh air from your cab and don't recycle it from your living quarters as your machine running temp may increase. This i don't know as i never run a test on that but cool air passing through the machine has to be better than hot air. Im finally installing it in my van this christmas hols and a video will follow shortly after where ill try to explain better what Ive wrote on here. I hope this helps your decision. Its all a bit of a mess about because the machine isnt designed to be used in a camper so you have to re-engineer the system to make it work for your set up. A much cheaper option if you sus it out though!

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
That would be a very clear sign telling me not to include it in my self-build... :whistle2:

JJ :cool:
Yer i totally understand. If you can afford a truma etc defo buy that for sure. A less complicated set up is to just run your water from the tank direct into and out of the machine. When it boils it will just spit back the water into the tank so long as it isn't a closed pressurised. tank. You need a vented tank to expel the steam/gas.
This was a set up i considered but discovered the water heat exchanger on the machine is cast aluminium. This will cause a problem when you try to descale it using chemicals as your cleaners are limited and much less aggressive. Thus how do you know its cleaned out fully, if at all and you risk seriously constricting the flow of water through the heat exchanger.
Therefore i opted for passing coolent through the heat exchanger but that also brings its problems as a guy in New Zealand told me. He used the coolant system i have but he made the mistake of adding water to his coolant, thus still boiled and blow his pipes off as he had a closed system. If you have a vented system and use waterless coolant the machine will work fine but people are not aware of this. So if your on a budget build its still worth considering this machine so long as you take those precaution. How else can you get hot air and water for £300. You can buy a cheapo gas wall boiler but that needs serious care and expense for gas supply and connection, plus expensive fumes exhausting system.
i aint having any gas in my van as i dont believe that's a job for DIY’ers explosions, fire or gas yourself when asleep is a risk im not prepared to take so ill stick with this machine until i can afford something better.

Reactions: 68c

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
Yer i totally understand. If you can afford a truma etc defo buy that for sure. A less complicated set up is to just run your water from the tank direct into and out of the machine. When it boils it will just spit back the water into the tank so long as it isn't a closed pressurised. tank. You need a vented tank to expel the steam/gas.
This was a set up i considered but discovered the water heat exchanger on the machine is cast aluminium. This will cause a problem when you try to descale it using chemicals as your cleaners are limited and much less aggressive. Thus how do you know its cleaned out fully, if at all and you risk seriously constricting the flow of water through the heat exchanger.
Therefore i opted for passing coolent through the heat exchanger but that also brings its problems as a guy in New Zealand told me. He used the coolant system i have but he made the mistake of adding water to his coolant, thus still boiled and blow his pipes off as he had a closed system. If you have a vented system and use waterless coolant the machine will work fine but people are not aware of this. So if your on a budget build its still worth considering this machine so long as you take those precaution. How else can you get hot air and water for £300. You can buy a cheapo gas wall boiler but that needs serious care and expense for gas supply and connection, plus expensive fumes exhausting system.
i aint having any gas in my van as i dont believe that's a job for DIY’ers explosions, fire or gas yourself when asleep is a risk im not prepared to take so ill stick with this machine until i can afford something better.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I would be more worried about having a pumped diesel heater than about lPG, at least the LPG is in a heavier than air gas format that will drop down out of the safety drop out holes and blow away. Leaking diesel will pool under the van awaiting the first naked flame to set it alight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
Hi there, sorry for late reply, if you do buy this machine it does come with its problems but ive sussed them out hopefully as I've run a two hour bench test the other week without the circulation pump on. I found the machines running temperature runs at approximately 160’C without the water pump on. If you turn the water pump on the running temp drops 20’C. If your also running a closed system with coolant, transferring heat to a heat exchanger in a hot water storage tank, then you MUST use waterless coolant in the system. Do not add water to the coolant. This way it runs ok without the circulation pump on BUT you cant switch off the fan by fitting a toggle switch to the fans electrical feed because you need the fan to air cool the machine or you will cook it💥!
Ive also fitted an automatic air release valve to the system so if you do get a gas build up which you do. It can be ejected safely without blowing pipes off.
Now the reason for using waterless coolant is because it doesn't gas up, well it does but not until 180’C and its minor around those temps. The machine runs at 160’C so it wont boil inside the machine but thats running it on low. However once your water tank is hot you would only want it on low tick over or you van is going to get too hot and you would have to open windows.
i also recommend taking cool fresh air from your cab and don't recycle it from your living quarters as your machine running temp may increase. This i don't know as i never run a test on that but cool air passing through the machine has to be better than hot air. Im finally installing it in my van this christmas hols and a video will follow shortly after where ill try to explain better what Ive wrote on here. I hope this helps your decision. Its all a bit of a mess about because the machine isnt designed to be used in a camper so you have to re-engineer the system to make it work for your set up. A much cheaper option if you sus it out though!

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
I would be more worried about having a pumped diesel heater than about lPG, at least the LPG is in a heavier than air gas format that will drop down out of the safety drop out holes and blow away. Leaking diesel will pool under the van awaiting the first naked flame to set it alight.
Yes gas is safe at an expense though, not a corner cutting issue. My point is get a gas truma if you can afford it but you need regulators, gas safe, hard pipe system and professionals to instal it costing ££££. The point of the diesel heater is its chesp and can be installed by oneself. Diesel is a safe chemical by the way, you cant set fire to it with a naked flame. Whereas gas if installed by a DIY’er has the potential to explode or set fire to your van fast.

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Just anything that comes from there really it just me I bet I have 80 % of stuff from China
Each to there own I try not to but from there anymore

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Some how we need to do A little Bit To punishment them for what They have caused the world

Baxter

Free Member
Jan 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Highwayman
Hi Andy, whats the manufacturer of the heater and do you know where I can get one from?
Paul

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
Hi Andy, whats the manufacturer of the heater and do you know where I can get one from?
Paul
You can buy from here. These machines aint great but are useable if you follow some really important tips such as if you use coolant to heat your water but the coolant must be waterless or it will blow your pipes off if you turn the circulation pump off. Also you have to modify the underneath seal as it dont fit but can use plumbers flue sealant 300’C version to seal the bottom. Thirdly you need to build into your system an automatic air release valve (none pressurised) into the coolant system that heats your hot water tank up to release any gas produced in the diesel heater when your circulation pump is not required.

B0C5E370-8402-4A36-A3A4-24885687C99C.jpeg

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Interesting thread, I am not looking to buy one of these but interested enough to check out a couple of other views.

I think this link is an interesting one to watch

Dekzion

Free Member
May 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ex Damon Daybreak
I've been running a chinese air heater all winter in my single unit park home. best thing ever. it's been keeping the place at 22 degrees no matter what it is outside. silenced so very very quiet unless it's initial start up. running on red at £15 a week. using a battery maintainer and 12v battery so if the electric goes off it has a chance to shut down properly (crappy transformer and power supply on site) I am definitely looking at one of the diesel water heaters and plumb it into a calorifier.

Senator12

Free Member
Feb 28, 2020
UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Cheap and cheerful? Should last at least a couple of months, like most Chinese products , except Covid!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Cheap and cheerful? Should last at least a couple of months, like most Chinese products , except Covid!

Well that goes to show you know bugger all about these Chinese heaters. :doh:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Just picking up on this (month later, I know). Try dropping a match on a pool of diesel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back