New Chausson Chausson X550

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Well, I've just put in an order for one of these. I've read all your negative comments but compared to our current 12 year old AS Symbol PVC it's the height of convenience and luxury.

Only thing we will miss is the wide sliding door on a hot day picnic stop in France.

We are limited to a 6 metre length due to a short drive so a bit of length mission-creep wouldn't work for us.

I even thought the storage was good (for 2 people) and a 6kg Gaslow cylinder is all we use at present and its plenty.

As for the bed - for two of us, the drop down looks fantastic. I can't wait!

Peter

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Well, I've just put in an order for one of these. I've read all your negative comments but compared to our current 12 year old AS Symbol PVC it's the height of convenience and luxury.

Only thing we will miss is the wide sliding door on a hot day picnic stop in France.

We are limited to a 6 metre length due to a short drive so a bit of length mission-creep wouldn't work for us.

I even thought the storage was good (for 2 people) and a 6kg Gaslow cylinder is all we use at present and its plenty.

Peter
It does look pretty nice. I'd want a bit more outside storage and I would want a bit more window, but the layout is generally pretty good.

We've recently got a 6m a-class... very similar layout except the bed is over the cab and there's a bit more outside locker. But I am concerned about the width. If I don't like it, I can imagine going to something like the X550 in a couple of years.

Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
On order

Peter
Ditto, we just put a deposit down on an Auto X550 for delivery April.

Not concerned about the negativeness of previous postings, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm a wishful trend setter, love gadgets and appreciate having a vehicle that is easy to drive due to being narrow and relatively short, having had caravans, camper vans and motorhomes in the past.

I love drop down beds, they release so much space in a small vehicle. My last MH a 07 plate La Strada Regent L had a great one complete with Froli springing, it was so comfortable! Unfortunately I don't think the X550 has it, although on the plus side it's electric and can be raised with the bed made for the next evening. No messing about with wonky slats and odd pieces of mattress.

Having the capability for 2 extra belted seats and the occasional second double bed (albeit put together) will be great for occasional trips away with the grandchildren.

Sure it's a bit expensive and I would love some more cupboard space (an offside window isn't really necessary for driving), but life is full of compromises and this MH ticks so many of my boxes.

With a Thule Omnistore awning (for use with Thule Quick Fit tent), external BBQ point & tow bar for our electric bikes we will be loving life and living it large in retirement!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
With a Thule Omnistore awning (for use with Thule Quick Fit tent), external BBQ point & tow bar for our electric bikes we will be loving life and living it large in retirement!
Interestingly, the awning looks like it could be a slight problem as the side isn't entirely flat. The dealer thought a small one would be possible. However, initially we will try without.

I am having a removable towball fitted so we can put a removable bike rack on when needed. Something like this https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-easyfold-xt-2-_-933300

Jan 28, 2008
walthamstow east london
Funster No
MH
renault burstner delphin
Exp
7 years campers before that
It's OK for what it is but not for me, I don't see the problem with no windows on the RHS most vans don't have windows on that side apart from small one in the bedroom.
I can never see the point of wasting space on the hob with an electric ring I know a lot of vans have its just pointless.
thats because you hardly ever have electric

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 Dynamic Line
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
thats because you hardly ever have electric
If I did use EHU I wouldn't want the type of hotplate they fit, old fashioned type that takes ages to heat up and cool down, the last thing you want when the other burners are gas.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
If I did use EHU I wouldn't want the type of hotplate they fit, old fashioned type that takes ages to heat up and cool down, the last thing you want when the other burners are gas.
We've got similar in our current PVC. You are right, we never use it but its a handy place to put hot pans down. It also fits our Remoska exactly.

A 700W induction hob would be better to be run off inverter

Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
On order
Interestingly, the awning looks like it could be a slight problem as the side isn't entirely flat. The dealer thought a small one would be possible. However, initially we will try without.

I am having a removable towball fitted so we can put a removable bike rack on when needed. Something like this https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-easyfold-xt-2-_-933300
Thanks, interesting re the awning, Our dealer said they hadn't seen one yet in the flesh, as there is only one demonstrator touring the country. They also said Chausson were a bit slow providing details for add ons, but assured us that they didn't expect them to be a problem.

We already have the Thule bike rack you mentioned which we use on our Volvo XC40 and it works really well.

Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
On order
I don't see the EHU as a problem, although I agree an induction would be better. Either is a bonus when on hook up. We had an EHU in our caravan and it worked fine, but maybe that's because we have an AGA cooker at home so cooking is a rather slow affair. ::bigsmile: