New charger and battery setup (1 Viewer)

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I am contemplating changing the charger and batteries currently installed in the Moho for the last 3 years. The batteries are 2x Banner 110Ah (still working fine) with the standard Rapido oem battery charger, whatever make that is. Was thinking of fitting the Sterling Pro charge ultra probably the 40A version along with 2 x SL115 Sonnenschein Gel Battery 115Ah. These batteries are the largest size that I can squeeze into the fitted battery trays in the garage. 10% of the new battery Ah is 23 Ah so could fit a lower Amp battery charger but will go for the 40amp version as I may fit a 3rd battery in the future dependent on where the Auto leveler pump gets fitted by SAP. This is another decision causing issues as I am contemplating an underslung gas tank which would be smaller than wanted if the pump pack is located under the vehicle. The pump unit could go in the gas locker if the underslung tank is fitted first but I want to put a Honda generator in there running off lpg and exhausted through the vehicles silencer.
So whats your thoughts on the charger and batteries? Any other thoughts/experience on chargers?

https://sterling-power.com/collecti...s/products/pro-charge-ultra?variant=873455691

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Won't go wrong with Sonnenschein they are an Exide company who make all the Exide Gels. Does appear to be and expensive option. I have 3 x SL75 which are 78 a/h around £140 each.
I'm not that keen on Sterling products so won't comment on them.
Have you looked at either Votronic or Victron chargers?

NickandClair

Free Member
Apr 30, 2018
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
The Dark Side!!!!
Exp
Since 2001
The Votronic triple charger is still an option due to its functionality. Was thinking of the Sterling units just for availability of suppliers and fitters.

https://www.votronic.de/index.php/e...dard-version/vbcs-60-40-430#technical-details

The major danger regarding an all-in-one charging system is if one of those elements fail, then you loose all other aspects of charging as you will have to return the product for checks repairs I guess.
By having individual components does safeguard you in the event of any problems in the future and at the very least gives you one of the other variables to rely on to get some charge back into the motorhome. Also as product moves on and you replace a component, you are updating it to the latest product.
I'd say both Victron and Sterling are an ideal choice of product, both do what they say on the tin and both have good guarantees.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
but I want to put a Honda generator in there running off lpg and exhausted through the vehicles silencer.
That sounds like a good idea but the slightest back-pressure will result in the vehicle engine exhaust being forced into the generator. Generator noise isn't entirely exhaust noise either hence larger site generators being mounted in a sound-reducing enclosure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lorryman100

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I have a webasto night heater fitted in the defender that exhausts through the vehicles silencer. The Webasto only runs with the engine off as will the generator. The noise reduction is quite significant with the webasto which should be as good with the generator.

OP
OP
Lorryman100

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
The major danger regarding an all-in-one charging system is if one of those elements fail, then you loose all other aspects of charging as you will have to return the product for checks repairs I guess.
By having individual components does safeguard you in the event of any problems in the future and at the very least gives you one of the other variables to rely on to get some charge back into the motorhome. Also as product moves on and you replace a component, you are updating it to the latest product.
I'd say both Victron and Sterling are an ideal choice of product, both do what they say on the tin and both have good guarantees.

Chances are I will just get vanbitz to fit the charger so will probs go with their recommendation when I come around to book it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back